Why are my leaves clawing

• Thread starter Gboi420
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Gboi420

Gboi420

Hello everyone. I noticed that my plant leaves are starting to curl. I have 2 led lights right above around 12 inches away. ive always noticed this plants leaves never would pray to the light. Always have been a little thin and clawing downwards . Is the clawing a sign of the light being to close? Or something else.
I do have a intake fan that is pretty powerful and it's constantly blowing light air on the plants. Could that be it?

Why are my leaves clawing
Why are my leaves clawing 2
Why are my leaves clawing 3
Why are my leaves clawing 4
Last edited:
TSD

TSD

12 inches is pretty close for leds... usually the say 24 plus I think, but leave that to an indoor grower... and they look thirsty, ate you saturating the whole pot when you water? Fabric pots dry out faster than regular pots so you require more frequent watering... but you should saturate and wait till they almost dry out before watering again. I can tell you the guys will want more info on your grow and probably pics in normal light.

Saul.Goodman

Saul.Goodman

I just wet my plants...
Supporter
12 inches is pretty close for leds... usually the say 24 plus I think, but leave that to an indoor grower... and they look thirsty, ate you saturating the whole pot when you water? Fabric pots dry out faster than regular pots so you require more frequent watering... but you should saturate and wait till they almost dry out before watering again. I can tell you the guys will want more info on your grow and probably pics in normal light.
They definitely don't look saturated. You can see the wet and dry spots on top of the soil. It's not even for sure unless they've been churning the top soil which I do from time to time to get a feel about 2" down into the soil.

Gboi420

Gboi420

I am growing in regular soil with coco coir and perlite. I have 2 600 watt amazon led lights pulling only 150 watts each. They are about 12-15 inches away. In a 3x3 tent.
I always wait to water until the top couple inches is bone dry. And I water thourougly until I get a little runoff. And then they look like this. But the bigger one has always had those thin curling leaves for some reason. Never praying leaves. And I just watered the little ones. And now they are doing it. But the bigger plant leaves feel kind of dry and sound crispy. While the smaller plants leaves feel wet. So I'm guessing water the big one more and water the littles ones less then I'm doing?

IMG 20211020 201410
IMG 20211020 201345
IMG 20211020 201308
IMG 20211020 201236
TSD

TSD

They definitely don't look saturated. You can see the wet and dry spots on top of the soil. It's not even for sure unless they've been churning the top soil which I do from time to time to get a feel about 2" down into the soil.
I was going to say the same... and runoff isn't always reliable in fabric pots, or any if it is dry to the bone because it will run right past the packed dry soil and out the bottom. I personally can't stand fabric pots because I can't wrap my head around properly watering with them. I had two girls in them this year that were not thriving, I cut them out and put them in holes and they blew up... and yes the bottom half my soil was dry so I was indeed failing at watering them enough just as I suspected. Never again for me lol. I'm guessing that may be the case here with runoff judging by the patches of dry soil... that's definitely not saturated.

TSD

TSD

Maybe put them in a tote with a few inches of water and let them suck it up till they are truly saturated then you will know the weight you're going for?

Saul.Goodman

Saul.Goodman

I just wet my plants...
Supporter
I don't grow in CoCo (Soil only here) but I know it has specific requirements that others may be able to chime in on. How do you water? Bottom up or top down? Do you have a moisture monitor? Light being 12" above the plant in Veg seems pretty low to me. Mine is typically around 20" for a 390 watt blurple light.

The color looks good though, nice deep green!

Saul.Goodman

Saul.Goodman

I just wet my plants...
Supporter
I was going to say the same... and runoff isn't always reliable in fabric pots, or any if it is dry to the bone because it will run right past the packed dry soil and out the bottom. I personally can't stand fabric pots because I can't wrap my head around properly watering with them.
Yeah, the medium can become become hydrophobic if allowed to dry too much. I plan on using fabric pots for all my future grows though. The benefits of aeration is greater than my current plastic pot with drilled holes all over it 😂.

TSD

TSD

Yeah, the medium can become become hydrophobic if allowed to dry too much. I plan on using fabric pots for all my future grows though. The benefits of aeration is greater than my current plastic pot with drilled holes all over it 😂.
I think I went too big and also was outside... if I did indoor I could probably get a grasp on them... but between the wind and the sun beating on them, they just needed too much water for me to keep up with, so they went in the ground.

Saul.Goodman

Saul.Goodman

I just wet my plants...
Supporter
I think I went too big and also was outside... if I did indoor I could probably get a grasp on them... but between the wind and the sun beating on them, they just needed too much water for me to keep up with, so they went in the ground.
That's good knowledge bud. Thanks for elaborating on your situation! I have a decent lot and my plants will take years to cover. So I grow in doors. My balcony is perfect though once the Climbing Hydrangea takes root.

TSD

TSD

That's good knowledge bud. Thanks for elaborating on your situation! I have a decent lot and my plants will take years to cover. So I grow in doors. My balcony is perfect though once the Climbing Hydrangea takes root.
Nice, I put up chicken wire around my garden and covered it in morning glories... and beyond that my whole yard has a 6 foot wooden fence... fence within a fence... they were pretty well hidden till they hit 6 feet. I had them trained down but we had some wicked wind storms this year, two of my trunks got torn in half and I undid all the ties and the ladies went hog wild lol. Lesson learned, it's hard to train them down when they turn into trees. 🤷‍♀️

RealizedReal000

RealizedReal000

Ya know I was thinking. Watering in a tote sounds like a really good idea with fabric pots. Just dunk it in and then wait to do it again. Lol

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Quick kinda guess on just the pics so don't take this as me being sure.

Looks over watered so lack of o2. Stress response, close stomata, leaves swell, get heavy and droop but stems stay rigid.

Then the light is far to high intensity and especially for a plant under stress with stomata closed. The leaves droop hard like underwatering only the stems stay firm. May see some guttation if ya look just before light on.

Plant in stress = first order of business reduce light (in this case alot)

Second order of business fix the issues before increasing light .

Gboi420

Gboi420

I was going to say the same... and runoff isn't always reliable in fabric pots, or any if it is dry to the bone because it will run right past the packed dry soil and out the bottom. I personally can't stand fabric pots because I can't wrap my head around properly watering with them. I had two girls in them this year that were not thriving, I cut them out and put them in holes and they blew up... and yes the bottom half my soil was dry so I was indeed failing at watering them enough just as I suspected. Never again for me lol. I'm guessing that may be the case here with runoff judging by the patches of dry soil... that's definitely not saturated.
I will definitely take that into consideration! Thanks. I did realize right after watering that about 3 inches down was still bone dry. I think I'm gonna put them in regular pots.

Gboi420

Gboi420

Nice, I put up chicken wire around my garden and covered it in morning glories... and beyond that my whole yard has a 6 foot wooden fence... fence within a fence... they were pretty well hidden till they hit 6 feet. I had them trained down but we had some wicked wind storms this year, two of my trunks got torn in half and I undid all the ties and the ladies went hog wild lol. Lesson learned, it's hard to train them down when they turn into trees. 🤷‍♀️
Lol. I'm actually germinating morning glories right now

Top Bottom