Why Are My Leaves Growing Three Fingers? Let Me Tell You Why

• Thread starter Seamaiden
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
If she's a clone then that's your answer right there. Keep her on 18/6 until she pulls out of the funky stage. You can give her a bit of N and possibly some alfalfa (tea is preferred here, better control) to help push her back into veg and growing normally. :)

Papa Indica

Papa Indica

The last Kandy Kush I harvested had single leaves all throughout the bud growth, KK = Trainwreck x OG Kush. Out of the 3 Kandy's that I ran in that last batch this one was the only one that looked healthy all the way through with no major problems or deficiencies. She also showed me some blood red trichomes which I thought was pretty cool, wish I had had a camera capable of getting pics of that.

dixie420

dixie420

Cannabis is photoperiodic.

That means that it is the period or duration of lighting phase by which it "knows" whether to grow leaves (vegetative phase) or flowers (regenerative or sexual phase). These growth characteristics are controlled by hormones that are switched on or off by light, and these hormones are what tell the plant whether it should be growing leaves or flowers. It is not the daylight period that induces changes, but the dark period that controls this.

If you have a plant that has gone into flower and the dark phase is interrupted by sufficient light (moonlight is not enough to induce), by as little as a couple of minutes, it *will* cause the plant to go back into vegetative phase.

This growth has a distinct appearance, beginning with the plant growing triple-lobed leaves, often that don't have the normal serrations, which then become singles, then goes back to triples, and finally normally lobed leaves. Little to no bud growth will occur during this period.

Each phase change takes about two weeks for the plant to work through. So if you've got a plant in flower and you see it's started to throw triple-lobed leaves instead of the normal 5, 7, 9 or 11, you know that something has caused it to go back into a vegetative phase, aka reveg. If your plan is to get it back into flowering, know that the whole process will take approximately 6 weeks to get through before you see normal growth again.

I have found that reducing an 18hr lighting photoperiod by as little as an hour can induce flowering, but interrupting it for as little as 15 minutes 1x/night is enough to stop this. This is *not* the same thing as when a rootbound plant begins throwing pistils.

I have not played around a whole lot with photoperiods outside using a reduced daylight (reduced by 1/2hr each day) during flowering and stopped when I hit an 8hr day, so if there are others who've played a bit with photoperiods and what their effects are with other observations, I think this is the place to put them.
great info ty

CharmCity915

CharmCity915

There's also the indicator leaves that grow in a circle when the plant kicks back into veg.seen those sea?
It's funny you mention the leaf just next to the pistol is kinda growing in a circle. What causes that to happen? Below I'll post a pic of what my plant is doing. Thanks you for any help

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I don't know what causes it, only that it's a very common occurrence during reveg. I'm interested to hear what others have to say!

Btw, your plant is REALLY wanting for phosphorous. Badly.

CharmCity915

CharmCity915

I don't know what causes it, only that it's a very common occurrence during reveg. I'm interested to hear what others have to say!

I was thinking it did but then read and keep hearing that the purpling is a genetic of chemdog. Is that correct ??

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Hmm.. it's been a while since I've run any Chem lines, I don't recall the ladies run outside showing that.

If the main stalk is purple, then I consider it to be a phenotypic trait, just as I observed with BOG LSD. If it's just the petioles, which is SUPER common for indoor-grown plants, then I consider it to be a utilization or deficiency issue.

I don't say this just because of the color of the stems, but also because of that deep shade of green. It's too dark and is another indication of P- or utilization problems. If you believe there's sufficient (and sufficiently available) P, then I would look to shifting pH, up and/or down, to see what happens. If that doesn't change anything, then I look to light, which is one of the greatest limiting factors for indoor cultivation. It's HARD to duplicate the Sun!

CharmCity915

CharmCity915

Here's some pictures. I hope they can help you kinda help me.. You have helped me before and I thank you.

IMG 20160117 104731
IMG 20160117 104522
Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Hmm... well, I *do* see purple striping on the main stalk. But the shade of green on those leaves still suggests a slight wanting for phosphorous. All said though, looks pretty good to me, nothing terribly wrong here!

CharmCity915

CharmCity915

Hmm... well, I *do* see purple striping on the main stalk. But the shade of green on those leaves still suggests a slight wanting for phosphorous. All said though, looks pretty good to me, nothing terribly wrong here!
Yea that's why I thought it was doing ok but the green shade is kinda dark. What would you suggest for a phosphorus problem?

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
First, what do you have on hand? I like bone meal, others love high P bat dookie.

CharmCity915

CharmCity915

I don't have anything on hand for it. I'm trying to build up my cabinet of meds for my meds. So anything you can recommend for a newbie, I'll go grab if you think it'll help her out

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Either the bone meal or high P bat guano. If you go with bat guano go easy, it's easy to burn. I suggest making tea with either one, usually 24hrs, aerated if possible, is a good time frame. Then water with that, use what's leftover as top-dressing for outside plants or compost it.

Be aware that the bone meal tea will smell absolutely vomitous, and it can attract yellow jackets (aka meat bees around here, and after that one time that one year I know why!!).

Weedseed420

Weedseed420

Well-Known Farmer
Supporter
Here's some pictures. I hope they can help you kinda help me.. You have helped me before and I thank you.
dark green leaves can be a n tox,,,as far as the funky leaves 3 an such i have one just like that it seems clones do this some times or maybe it tring to reveg maybe ,,,,hope helps a lil,,

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
It can, but usually you see burnt tips long before the leaves go a darker green. And the shade doesn't have quite the blue shade to it that P- does.

CharmCity915

CharmCity915

Oh damn, ok. I'll grab the bone meal because I seen that just at Walmart. Would you say a certain brand for bone meal

CharmCity915

CharmCity915

dark green leaves can be a n tox,,,as far as the funky leaves 3 an such i have one just like that it seems clones do this some times or maybe it tring to reveg maybe ,,,,hope helps a lil,,
Yea this is a clone. So that could have something to do with it?

Weedseed420

Weedseed420

Well-Known Farmer
Supporter
Yea this is a clone. So that could have something to do with it?
yep my clones sometimes do this it dont seem to have any ill efacts bud still good ect if u keep her in veg enough she will even grow normal leaves thats in my exp tho,, mine have all ways gone bck if left in veg long enough,,u can flower her like that tho i have an like i said it dint do anything to the end product

CharmCity915

CharmCity915

It can, but usually you see burnt tips long before the leaves go a darker green. And the shade doesn't have quite the blue shade to it that P- does.
I had 3 burnt tips just last week. I thought I had the bulbs to close

CharmCity915

CharmCity915

yep my clones sometimes do this it dont seem to have any ill efacts bud still good ect if u keep her in veg enough she will even grow normal leaves thats in my exp tho,, mine have all ways gone bck if left in veg long enough,,u can flower her like that tho i have an like i said it dint do anything to the end product
Nice, thank you for the help

Top Bottom