Why Calmag All The Time???

• Thread starter Midwestjay
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Midwestjay

Midwestjay

I know there are fads in growing, like where everybody turns into sheep over a certain aspect. But why do I see so many people using it like a base nute, or it the first answer I always see on a "what's wrong with my plant" post.

I see people using it regardless of water source, and both hydro and soil. Can anybody explain when and where it became such a staple. I've only tried using it once and felt like it was detrimental.

Do you use "calmag" and why?

Theassbandit

Theassbandit

Lol, I use it but that's only because that's what everyone says too do. I've read alot and the thing that sticks out in my mind is somewhere I heard 40% cal mag ppms, and then base or ehatever.
The more I grow the more I've thought a 3 part nite is the best way to go. I'm just torn between 3 part ph by AN or hygrohybrids results with 3 part flora by GH. Cuz then all I will have to do is bump my "micro" up a little.
But that's where I'm at and I am by no means pro.

Midwestjay

Midwestjay

Lol, I use it but that's only because that's what everyone says too do. I've read alot and the thing that sticks out in my mind is somewhere I heard 40% cal mag ppms, and then base or ehatever.
The more I grow the more I've thought a 3 part nite is the best way to go. I'm just torn between 3 part ph by AN or hygrohybrids results with 3 part flora by GH. Cuz then all I will have to do is bump my "micro" up a little.
But that's where I'm at and I am by no means pro.
3 part flora is great. I started with it in 250ppm tap and had killer results

Midwestjay

Midwestjay

I use 75% R.O. to 25% tap water (250 ppm tap) and I use about 2ml/ gal Botanicare Cal Mag. Been working on this formula (Gh 3 part in veg, sensi A and B flower) for a while and it works well.
I just started doing this, glad I'm not alone. My tap ppm is around 330ppm so I use it 1:3 and brings me around 100-130ppm. I started because it make the ro last longer. I fill 5gal jugs at the grocery.

3N1GM4

3N1GM4

Never thought about mixing it, my tap is a little over 260ppm so I have been using distilled with 6ml/gal cal mag. One plant looks like she still wants more.

Midwestjay

Midwestjay

Never thought about mixing it, my tap is a little over 260ppm so I have been using distilled with 6ml/gal cal mag. One plant looks like she still wants more.
I never used cal mag for years but I was on and off tap water too. But never trash into issues. I thought I was doing a good thing by using calmag, I was using gh calmag and have heard that it's "dirty" not sure what that meant. Just trying to get some opinions

Theassbandit

Theassbandit

I'm just so skeptical after buying two products that about solutly did nothing for my roots (SM-90) (H2O2) all they did was drain my wallet and take me for a ride with my hydro buckets "experiment", all while killing about six plants simultaneously.SM-90 AND H2O2 are night and day two different products. But my plants started living after using some homemade tea. I have been, like I said, skeptical of anything else ever since. The next product I get soon is gonna be hydro guard (by bonticare I think). I'll Let ya know how it goes

Any ways long rant about that, I'm baked off a sample bud and cant weight to cut this big bitch down in a few days. L8r

Welshwizzard

Welshwizzard

Where I live, I find that the majority of beans I pop are fine without Calmag, they all do tend to want it once flipped though, seeds or cuts, which makes sense.

However I find that when I get cuts from elsewhere, they must have different water source as they are desp for Mg as soon as I get them

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I know there are fads in growing, like where everybody turns into sheep over a certain aspect. But why do I see so many people using it like a base nute, or it the first answer I always see on a "what's wrong with my plant" post.

I see people using it regardless of water source, and both hydro and soil. Can anybody explain when and where it became such a staple. I've only tried using it once and felt like it was detrimental.

Do you use "calmag" and why?
Never. I use Ca and Mg and their forms depend on how I'm growing.

Midwestjay

Midwestjay

Thanks for all the replies, just trying to understand this whole cal mag thing. Just seems like the first thing I hear people say.

Midwestjay

Midwestjay

I'm just so skeptical after buying two products that about solutly did nothing for my roots (SM-90) (H2O2) all they did was drain my wallet and take me for a ride with my hydro buckets "experiment", all while killing about six plants simultaneously.SM-90 AND H2O2 are night and day two different products. But my plants started living after using some homemade tea. I have been, like I said, skeptical of anything else ever since. The next product I get soon is gonna be hydro guard (by bonticare I think). I'll Let ya know how it goes

Any ways long rant about that, I'm baked off a sample bud and cant weight to cut this big bitch down in a few days. L8r
Hydroguard was the first thing I tried and has worked flawlessly. I have a buddy that uses it with res temps up to and above 80°f at some times, it works the same for him. It's a bacteria that eats dead root material and breaks down nutes also. It beats out other bacteria that can be harmful. If I didn't use it I wouldn't recommend it.

Soilbrother1

Soilbrother1

I just started doing this, glad I'm not alone. My tap ppm is around 330ppm so I use it 1:3 and brings me around 100-130ppm. I started because it make the ro last longer. I fill 5gal jugs at the grocery.
I thought I was the only one at the grocery store explaining the benefits of "drinking" water to nosy people as I push an entire cart of 5 gallon containers.

Top Bottom