Why Coco Is Hydro And Soil Isn't?

• Thread starter bibiking
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Enforcer

Enforcer

Just trying to add some stability as to what’s available nutrient-wise in large containers of coco as it dries-which is potentially for a couple few days in the early weeks of flowering for me. @Smoking Gun explained it far better than I could, thanks chief.

I consider myself fortunate and extremely grateful to be in a situation where I can test different mixes very frequently. I originally tried this on the recommendation of a friend and have since tweaked it to 2:1:1 coco/ffof/GS. I also tried 1:1:1 coco/promix/perlite 2:1:1 coco/sunshine4/perlite but also just coco/gs 70/30. A lot of guys in MI run similar mixes w big pots n low plant counts.

Believe it or not part of my reasoning behind the addition of peat was to slow down the amount of post flip vegetative growth, which peat definitely does( vs coco alone). Still trying different things but i gotta say the 1:1:1 is super easy and makes some very healthy looking plants
Ah, thanks man. So you’re in big pots. An interesting grow style. I feed multiple times a day with auto drippers. 2gal fabric pots in veg, 5gal in flower. I shoot for about 10-20% run off. The plant gets everything it needs in the feed solution. If I mixed soil in with my coco I think it would just be a soggy mess. I can see a potential issue with my feed solution. If the soil is providing some nutrients I would need to adjust down my solution strength. But with multiple daily feedings, I would think that whatever nutrients the soil provides would be quickly washed out of the medium. Which would defeat the purpose of the soil in the first place. Also, adding soil would reduce the amount of Oxygen getting to the roots due to the increased moisture retention of soil vs coco. Resulting in root rot or other over watering issues. That’s why I’m having a hard time wrapping my head around adding soil to coco. It just doesn’t seem to be worth it when I consider the potential benefits vs the potential problems. At least with regard to multiple daily feedings. Which is in my opinion, the best part about growing in coco.

Last edited:
Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
Adding soil would reduce the amount of Oxygen getting to the roots due to the increased moisture retention of soil vs coco. Resulting in root rot or other over watering issues. That’s why I’m having a hard time wrapping my head around adding soil to coco. It just doesn’t seem to be worth it when I consider the potential benefits vs the potential problems.
I add composted manure to Promix. This does a few things. It provides a lot of the minor and major nutrients. t also helps to hold "some" water, as you mentioned. Promix by itself is impossible to overwater, as long as it has drain holes ad isn't packed too tight. The compost helps to retain the water a little. Since it is only 15-25% of my mix, it doesn't really get soggy or muddy. I've used this for decades without having any problems at all. FWIW.

UncleRomulus

UncleRomulus

I got 50/50 coco/promix Hp going atm in fabrics. I let it halfways dry like promix should but not quite. Finding 6.2-6.5 ph to be my bangzone.
Just a dribble of run off (2-3 light flushes during cycle) I’m finding it faster than hp alone and real hard to overwater. I honestly can’t think of a problem besides having to just once or twice add cal/mag. But too much isn’t good. I’m using maxi as my base mind you and it has decent levels o cal and mag

Enforcer

Enforcer

I add composted manure to Promix. This does a few things. It provides a lot of the minor and major nutrients. t also helps to hold "some" water, as you mentioned. Promix by itself is impossible to overwater, as long as it has drain holes ad isn't packed too tight. The compost helps to retain the water a little. Since it is only 15-25% of my mix, it doesn't really get soggy or muddy. I've used this for decades without having any problems at all. FWIW.
Very cool. But I’m assuming you don’t water multiple times a day. How often are you watering?

P

PharmHand

Ah, thanks man. So you’re in big pots. An interesting grow style. I feed multiple times a day with auto drippers. 2gal fabric pots in veg, 5gal in flower. I shoot for about 10-20% run off. The plant gets everything it needs in the feed solution. If I mixed soil in with my coco I think it would just be a soggy mess. I can see a potential issue with my feed solution. If the soil is providing some nutrients I would need to adjust down my solution strength. But with multiple daily feedings, I would think that whatever nutrients the soil provides would be quickly washed out of the medium. Which would defeat the purpose of the soil in the first place. Also, adding soil would reduce the amount of Oxygen getting to the roots due to the increased moisture retention of soil vs coco. Resulting in root rot or other over watering issues. That’s why I’m having a hard time wrapping my head around adding soil to coco. It just doesn’t seem to be worth it when I consider the potential benefits vs the potential problems. At least with regard to multiple daily feedings. Which is in my opinion, the best part about growing in coco.
I want the benefits of coco without a heavy reliance on automation/machinery. A lil peat helps w my once a day schedule availability. Maybe one day I’ll have crop insurance but until then I wanna be there while it’s being watered

Top Bottom