Why Coco?

• Thread starter pacificdunes74
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
OftheEarth

OftheEarth

Straight coco for me. I've mixed perlite and hydroton with coco years ago and didn't see any difference. As far as castings and other natural fertilizers that are often mixed in soil, there is no need for those in coco IMO. They just gum up your coco and defeat the purpose. Plants in coco thrive due to oxygen availability in the root zone. This enables the plant to uptake nutrients and water at a higher rate and thus grow faster and bigger.

A simple salt based nutrient schedule is all you need to grow some really good bud. There are other tip and tricks for growing in coco. You can find them all here on THCF if you invest some time to read up.
Cool man. Def gonna look into the coco...going back to afta this one...a gift already in soil so have to save them first then let em go!! Looking good so far... Better each day, growing new nodes, some were clones some were all in a little cup, 5...... Unknown sex so that kinda sticks...l.p. gonna have to work with them. Should be intresting. Thanks again for the advice on the salt and coco.... What's up with salt based, how does that help....is there a way to increase it for better nute uptake.....

OftheEarth

OftheEarth

I've gotten my best results with canna coco. The high o2 levels combined with fast drainage that gives you the ability to feed everyday makes it pretty easy to slay it. IMO.
Try to humbolt gold and see if there is a difference, been looking to go to canna... Really that good?

OftheEarth

OftheEarth

Read a lot of good about canna so might go w that next time around....

Jack Dupp

Jack Dupp

Canna makes a fine coco. I have used Dutchmaster coco and while it looked the same, I found the quality of manufacture lacking. Big chunks of pith and plastic. None of that in Canna.

Another thing about coco is you can reuse it. After harvest, I wait until the coco dries out, then shake the root ball over a strainer to get the hydrotron and big roots out. Then that is put into a rubbermaid container, and 1 gallon of water mixed with Canna's Cannazym is added @ 3x the recommended rate. The lid is sealed for a couple of days, and then cracked to allow air in. It is amazing how that eats those little roots up. After a few weeks it is ready to go. I have reused coco 4x now.

I really like this medium.

My tips: CalMg @ 3 ml per gal every watering (including flush), smaller containers and water every day, PH to 6.0.

Good luck future coco-nut.;)

sealed138

sealed138

First Starfighter
Supporter
Try to humbolt gold and see if there is a difference, been looking to go to canna... Really that good?

I've tried at least 8 different kinds of coco and I've alwasys found canna to be consistent and dependable.
Runoff comes out to around 100 ppms in a test vs 1500 for botanicare cocogro bags. I'm done experimenting.

I water twice a day for 1 minute. DTW. In 70/30 coco perlite mix.
I use 5 gallon grow bags filled half full.

The Krinken

The Krinken

i'll give you why NOT coco:

#1 reason: too much watering - pain in the ass...i hand water - who the fuck wants to do that everyday? not me
too many deficiencies
too much like hydro
you use more nutes (see water everyday)
higher humidity
some strains hate it
i hate it

:D

altitudefarmer

altitudefarmer

^^^don't hold back, Krinken!^^^ lol, a few cons for the pros...

It's true you need to water coco much more; that's why the plants do better, IMO.

The Krinken

The Krinken

my belief is coco as an amendment only - no more than 25% as a general rule of thumb - and i always use it as an amendment - but no more straight coco runs - maybe a pot or 2 off to the side for the fun of it - but nothing too serious

but yea the yields are nice and you can do organics in a hydroponic fashion which i think is really cool...

I

insu123

There are lots of benefits of using Coco Coir. It is one of the best proven alternative to soil in a hydro. It is naturally anti-fungal and anti-pathogenic. It's environmentally friendly and drains really well too. I found this useful article about coco.

Amalthea

Amalthea

I'm planning to espalier the plants against a wall with vertical lighting at the centre of a circle. I'm guessing I'm going to need a large pot, as I need a lot of growth.

Prime C

Prime C

Defender of Dank
Supporter
^ 3 gal pots can get you 8oz bro, 5 gal can go over an elbow.

Word on that! 3 gallon smarties and you got some fat dense nugs. Quarter pounders in 2 gal plastic pots scroggin. If you dont want to water everyday get a bigger pot. I run drain to waste and also in saucers. Running in saucers allows me to water a 3 gal pot once a day leaving a little nutes in the saucer for them to drink.

And there isnt anything wrong with brick coco. I luv it! Charged with nutes and ready to grow!! :cool:

Darth Fader

Darth Fader

Word on that! 3 gallon smarties and you got some fat dense nugs. Quarter pounders in 2 gal plastic pots scroggin. If you dont want to water everyday get a bigger pot. I run drain to waste and also in saucers. Running in saucers allows me to water a 3 gal pot once a day leaving a little nutes in the saucer for them to drink.

And there isnt anything wrong with brick coco. I luv it! Charged with nutes and ready to grow!! :cool:

Agreed - Brick coco might be a pain, but better than getting free pests from the hydro-shop!

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I'm planning to espalier the plants against a wall with vertical lighting at the centre of a circle. I'm guessing I'm going to need a large pot, as I need a lot of growth.
Yeah, if that's the plan then you're into 'tree' territory, and I think in that case bigger (for roots) is better. If you went with SmartPots, you would need to water more, but you would also enjoy the benefits of a breathable container. I'm going to suggest as big as 10+gals to start, if you're game. Just be certain it's prepared properly (rinsed and charged with mild vegging nutrient solution and PLENTY of Ca, most folks use a Cal-Mag product of some sort).

Classic Remix

Classic Remix

not a fan of canna coco, i like to let my shit dry and bit and that stuff turns to straight airborne dust after awhile. been using the bontanicare shit with zero problems what so ever.

also tried 5 bags of the roots coco palms straight coco. no perlite nothing. seems to be good so far, there are some bigger chunks in it i dont like....

that dude talkin smack on coco is an idiot. his only reasons werent even about the plant just his lazy ass.
and watering raises my humidity like 2%. if youre in a little tent with no ventilation yeah i could see it skyrocketing.... but at any rate where we live where its nearly NEGATIVE humidity lololol, fuck give me the 2%

B

Big Costa420

the best thing about my coco beds I can use them for 4yrs (straight coco) I get faster growth, healthy roots = healthy fruits Jacks pro is definitely the only way to go for me I liked pvc but this coco has got me hooked truly working wonders for me in my garden

Top Bottom