Why do gardeners buy REGULAR seeds vs FEMINIZED seeds?

• Thread starter Deeznugs
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Deeznugs

Deeznugs

Why do people buy regular seeds with possible ratio of males?
Is there an advantage to this for the buyer or easier/more of profit for seller? New to the grow, OMG wasted years of buying ounces when I now can grow a tree! And don't have worry bout legality cause MA. Outdoors light is far cheaper than a bulb for me(summer at least)
Already been in love with gardening now in head over heels for this cannaculture!whole new world
P.S. Also anyway to I.D. a plant without knowing strain? Fortunate to get hand me down seedlings(2). Both ended up female. Both doing good and nice smell but no info on strain.

JWM2

JWM2

Premium Member
Supporter
Some growers like myself just prefer regular seeds vs fems for the possibility of using the males for breeding and to get a closer resembelence of what the breeder was going for when creating the hybrid. With F1 seeds you get hybrid vigor which can increase the yield and stress tolerance. The method used to create feminized seeds is to artificially introduce stress in order to make the plant produce male pollen sacs. However even though the genetics are 99% of the mother plant i have still found some slight variance among the progeny. However there are upsides to feminized seeds which for most outweigh the downside.

There is no way of identifying a plant without knowing it’s lineage. Even then it’s only as good as it’s source.

az2000

az2000

Why do people buy regular seeds with possible ratio of males?

I recommend regular seeds to new growers. It's already stressful enough germinating a seed (even if you got it for free). Having an expensive seed at risk makes it worse. Germinating & vegging males is good experience. Sexing plants is good experience. Overfeeding the resulting females (and other common new-grower mistakes) is better done with cheap seeds, IMO.

I still buy regular seeds.

MooseFarts

MooseFarts

Some growers like myself just prefer regular seeds vs fems for the possibility of using the males for breeding and to get a closer resembelence of what the breeder was going for when creating the hybrid. With F1 seeds you get hybrid vigor which can increase the yield and stress tolerance. The method used to create feminized seeds is to artificially introduce stress in order to make the plant produce male pollen sacs. However even though the genetics are 99% of the mother plant i have still found some slight variance among the progeny. However there are upsides to feminized seeds which for most outweigh the downside.

There is no way of identifying a plant without knowing it’s lineage. Even then it’s only as good as it’s source.

Great explanation. Ive been curious what breeders mean when you say F1 seeds, would you be able to define that? I myself have no experience with breeding.

Ace9137

Ace9137

F = distance from the original.
F1 is a clone from a mom, f2 is a clone from that clone, f3 a clone from f2 etc...
Then there are IBL's= Inbred line, which is a re affirmation of the genetics, inbreeding in plants in order to isolate a certain trait or traits.

this may help to understand, it is lengthy, still breeding your own seeds can save thousands of dollars.

BigCube

BigCube

I prefer clones myself. I've kept strains alive with mothers for years. Also potbound plants will basically go dormant, they just require water every few days.

Seeds are good if you want to mail them, or not keep a mother. Also if you are looking to create your own strain (for whatever reason) you are going to be working with seeds, for generations.

Some people will hand fertilize their plant with pollen you can get from a friend. They then share the seeds.

Personally I can do without the seeds 🤣

MooseFarts

MooseFarts

F = distance from the original.
F1 is a clone from a mom, f2 is a clone from that clone, f3 a clone from f2 etc...

Ah okay that makes sense! So now is there some notation for distance from original for seeds? Like if someone started with landrace and bred it with the same strain? Or if we pollinate strain XXX with male YYY, then its simply referred to as an F hybrid XXX x YYY?

MooseFarts

MooseFarts

Then there are IBL's= Inbred line, which is a re affirmation of the genetics, inbreeding in plants in order to isolate a certain trait or traits.

this may help to understand, it is lengthy, still breeding your own seeds can save thousands of dollars.

yeah i have no doubt in my mind that breeding yourself can save you thousands of dollars, but it seems like theres a lot going on to be able to consistently do it well and know what youre doing. I could be over thinking it though lol

Animal Chin

Animal Chin

Supporter
Tradition.:cool:
Grandpa grew regs in the mountains back in the day.
Pops grew regs in the garage under stolen street lamps.
And now I grow regs under LED in a spare room.

Also potency. Regs of the same strain tend to be more potent than fems

I also dont like shortcuts especially with growing ganja. I believe in putting in the work, knowing how to sex plants, making seeds for the future, growing the plant with respect for those who grew it before me and also put in the work but did it with CAMP helos in the skies. I believe growing regs makes a better grower.
Something about fems and autoflowers just feels like cheating to me. I know it's goofy but it's just my perspective. I enjoy putting in that xtra work 🙃

916Fisherman

916Fisherman

I recommend regular seeds to new growers. It's already stressful enough germinating a seed (even if you got it for free). Having an expensive seed at risk makes it worse. Germinating & vegging males is good experience. Sexing plants is good experience. Overfeeding the resulting females (and other common new-grower mistakes) is better done with cheap seeds, IMO.

I still buy regular seeds.
Unless I start breeding even as a new grower it’s a complete waste of time, electricity, bulbs, nutes, etc to grow males. Nothing worse for me than all the time spent just to have 9 of 10 seeds be male

It’s personal preference I guess

the rrock

the rrock

I also dont like shortcuts especially with growing ganja. I believe in putting in the work, knowing how to sex plants, making seeds for the future, growing the plant with respect for those who grew it before me and also put in the work but did it with CAMP helos in the skies. I believe growing regs makes a better grower.
Something about fems and autoflowers just feels like cheating to me. I know it's goofy but it's just my perspective. I enjoy putting in that xtra work 🙃
Ho do you figure reg seeds are more potent than fem seeds, you may not like shortcuts,but growing in volume and keeping the quality top shelf you cant do it without some shortcuts, I was pretty clueless when I started growing back in 78,you couldnt get any info,help unless you knew someone,now you can google anything and your a so called "expert grower" overnght

78OzFinest

78OzFinest

Unless I start breeding even as a new grower it’s a complete waste of time, electricity, bulbs, nutes, etc to grow males. Nothing worse for me than all the time spent just to have 9 of 10 seeds be male

It’s personal preference I guess
have you really had 9/10 be males :0

Animal Chin

Animal Chin

Supporter
Ho do you figure reg seeds are more potent than fem seeds, you may not like shortcuts,but growing in volume and keeping the quality top shelf you cant do it without some shortcuts, I was pretty clueless when I started growing back in 78,you couldnt get any info,help unless you knew someone,now you can google anything and your a so called "expert grower" overnght

These days with the interweb I think you can learn to grow overnight but it still takes a lifetime to become an expert 😉
Currently I have two forms of Peyote Purple. One reg and one fem. The reg measures 22% THC and the fem 17%. Seen this other times with strains like OG Kush and Chem crosses in simple smoke tests where the regs hit harder and smell was louder than them fem. Found Sensi Star to be a fantastic strain as a reg but it's fem version is a shadow of itself. There's only been a handful of times where I could directly compare but when I could, the comparison favored the reg.

IDK if some things today I would call a shortcut compared to back in the day. Like training or pruning techniques are much improved compared to growing unchecked branching for quality and yields. I dont see that as a shortcut. And with indoor growing there's all sorts of ways to speed up the process with improved lighting, premium soils, hydro, etc compared to even 15 years ago I dont consider shortcuts but rather improvements to the process. Just with fems or autos, it speeds up and simplifies yeah but I dont think it improves the end result.

FWIW, and I'm not trying to convince anybody to grow regs if you're into fems. At the end of the day I'm just happy people grow weed no matter what kind of weed it is.
With having males though there tends to be some worry over waste of time, money, & space. And there is but not to a crippling degree. I keep my gardens under audit all the time regarding waste and this is where my current grow stands
I've never had all males. Annually the ratio is around 40% males but I've had some where 8 of 10 were female. This grow the males made up 38% of the germinated seed stock. At the price I paid for my seeds it's around $20-$25 wasted money on male seeds.
Soils & nutes...in my current grow I've lost 20 gallons of soil out of 130 gallons mixed up for the grow to males but the soil wnet to the veggie garden so it really was'nt wasted as in thrown away and not used again.
In nutes I wasted one shotglass full of liquid fish & seaweed on males. I dont use or buy high end hydroshop nutes so really my nute cost is always very low.
Water was my biggest waste since I use RO. I wasted away 35 gallons of RO water on males. And being RO, even with a 1:1 restrictor that water number is actually 70 gallons.
That's all to get to a goal of 10 female plants but got 11. Sometimes I get as few as 8 females but more often than not I hit that 10 female plant goal with reasonable efficiency.

az2000

az2000

These days with the interweb I think you can learn to grow overnight but it still takes a lifetime to become an expert 😉

I've always thought autoflowers would be a terrific way to get years of experience in months. Use a 4x4' tent, add seedling every 2 weeks. After 6 weeks begin harvesting one plant every two weeks (as a new seedling added). A person could begin experimenting with soil, nutrients, transplanting technique, applying what they learned two weeks ago to the "new grow."

It would require exceptional organization an record keeping to what was done when, the results, etc. If a person did that for a year, it would be like 6-8 years of experience.

BudBogart

BudBogart

I always use female seeds. They only cost 2x what the same strain in regular seed costs, which breaks even if you have 50% male. I grow, no desire to breed, and I like to be able to grow full speed ahead from the time the seed pops. No reduced growth while I have to sex them.
We can only grow so many holes and I like to get them out early so for me, females work the best.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Regs are not more potent than fems. In fact without certain famous bag seeds you wouldnt have such potent weed today. And bag seeds are s-1 fems.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

I've always thought autoflowers would be a terrific way to get years of experience in months. Use a 4x4' tent, add seedling every 2 weeks. After 6 weeks begin harvesting one plant every two weeks (as a new seedling added). A person could begin experimenting with soil, nutrients, transplanting technique, applying what they learned two weeks ago to the "new grow."

It would require exceptional organization an record keeping to what was done when, the results, etc. If a person did that for a year, it would be like 6-8 years of experience.

I used mostly fem seeds and did keep and run some clones but i have been planting a new seed/cutting every week or two and harvesting about the same for 6 years and running. I experimented tons. And i agree. Every plant is a new grow to try to do better. I have grown a few hundred now one after another.

Top Bottom