Why do gardeners buy REGULAR seeds vs FEMINIZED seeds?

• Thread starter Deeznugs
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
F = distance from the original.
F1 is a clone from a mom, f2 is a clone from that clone, f3 a clone from f2 etc...

An F1 hybrid is actually the first generation offspring from breeding two different varieties. F stands for filial. An F2 hybrid is second filial generation produced by crossing two F1's from the same crop.

Doesnt have anything to do with clones.

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

Tradition.:cool:
Grandpa grew regs in the mountains back in the day.
Pops grew regs in the garage under stolen street lamps.
And now I grow regs under LED in a spare room.

Also potency. Regs of the same strain tend to be more potent than fems

I also dont like shortcuts especially with growing ganja. I believe in putting in the work, knowing how to sex plants, making seeds for the future, growing the plant with respect for those who grew it before me and also put in the work but did it with CAMP helos in the skies. I believe growing regs makes a better grower.
Something about fems and autoflowers just feels like cheating to me. I know it's goofy but it's just my perspective. I enjoy putting in that xtra work šŸ™ƒ
right on integrity and respect something long gone these days it seems

krooked

krooked

I'm limited on space so I go fems. I assume they're also good for business, pack of 12 seeds is 12 female plants for production, well if germ rates are good.

But if I had space I'd much rather use regs, more variety. Some strains you just cant find fem and a lot of well known breeders won't reverse with them either.

mancorn

mancorn

Because seeds are ridiculous expensive, clones even more so, and I grow outdoors. I'd much rather spend $100 once for 10 seeds, get a few males, pollinate a few buds on the girls, and end up with hundreds of seeds.

I do buy a fair amount of clones. But as an outdoor grower they're a pain to time. I was at the dispensary with a buddy, who was buying some plants, the middle of June, so just for ducks I picked up a Plantinum OG and put it outside. Within 3 weeks it had flipped to flower, stopped growing and is at 3' now. Be lucky to get an ounce out of it. (I'm sure it was getting 24hrs of light when I picked it up.) On the other the hand, I have a bunch of NY Afghani seeds I made a few years back. I actually don't really like the buzz (big snooze fest IMO), but I was fooling around doing some germination test the middle of May. I threw out all the little plants after a couple weeks - except one. It's in a 10 gallon pot, never got much loving, and is over 6'.

It's not so much that the clones suck or aren't as good, but rather the timing to move them outside is always problematic for me. I started a mother (from a store clone) in March, made about 10 clones from it in May. By the end of May it outgrew my little indoor grow area, but I couldn't move it outside that early. So then I had to spend a month hauling it outside in the day, giving it extra light in the garage at night, until I could safely plant it in the dirt. The whole rigmarole of weening it from 18 hours down to 14 was a pain - making sure I was home to move it back inside at dusk, etc.

Seeds have their own issues - like having a 6' male. I've actually had to clone up males because they got so big and I just wanted a little 2' for pollen, not a tree. But it's great when you get a huge seed haul from a strain you like and know you'll have it for years (without having to keep a mother going).

Rcubed

Rcubed

Yep, I love clones for turning over indoor grows fast. Low veg time early flip. Seeds every time for outdoor. I have hundreds of seeds from making seed only crosses. I love Big Bud and made some crosses with Berry Bomb, Mango, and Blue Mystic. The F-1 hybrids are absolutely solid. Super vigorous and massive buds. Regular seeds all day for me. Don't get me wrong, I've got nothing against Fems. Autos; I just can't stomach. I'll probably never grow an auto as long as I live.

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

Feminized seeds have been professionally bred for more than 25 years i believe.
im not dis'in any of them,friends have gifted me all kind strains,i breed them must for fun and see what comes,it so bad when i do get a male,mama kills his ass,ive only bought seeds one time lets just say the experience wasnt up my alley,all mine are regs,im like the cat above,just seems hard up for smoke when you start messing with them,if i plant 10 regs and get 2 females ,we rock,we dry and cure and then smoke ,ya ,honestly ive never given fem's or auto a chance i just dig what i create,just right for me and a speedy mind,im on board with all of them hahahahah

Latest posts

Top Bottom