Why Do My Dr. Greenthumb's Chemdawg #4 Cut Plants Have Phenotypes?

• Thread starter FastTony
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
F

FastTony

Hi guys, this is my first time posting something on the internet!

After saving for a bit I bought some Chemdog seeds from Dr. Greenthumb and I'm really looking forward to them (I love weed) one thing I didn't expect though was that I got two distinct phenotypes (3 sativa and 2 indica)

I'm hoping I've managed to put on here some photos I snapped to show you what I mean.

I'm trying to learn as much about weed as I can (I'm no expert but I love learning) and this confounded my expectations, I assumed if a seed was advertised as originating from a certain cutting they would be uniform. Could someone please shed some light on this for me please?

Thanks for your website too it's fantastic I love reading the articles on here.

Why do my dr greenthumbs chemdawg 4 cut plants have phenotypes
jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
It is thought that Chemdog is a sativa Dom hybrid. Meaning it does have some indica genes in the mix. So depending which genes are dominant you can get varying phenos from the same seed stock. Nothing to worry about. :D

F

FastTony

Thanks straincreation.

No I don't do anything fancy like topping, just let them grow and remove dead leaves. I have three Chemdawgs that are similar to the sativa one I posted (although I did choose the tallest one for the photo!) and two of the indica.

Yeah I've taken cuttings of all five plants, can't wait to try them all!

H

happy b

Your questions already been answered but variety is a good thing in most cases.it gives you a bit of variety to choose from.by the looks of it you have a sativa dom and an indica dom which gives you a wider choice of highs.
welcome aboard.just out of curiosity how much were the dr gt Chemdog #4 beans and how many do you get?
The plants are looking good.the small indica statured one looks like it could be a contender.good job fast Tony

F

FastTony

Thanks happy b, what exactly do you mean by a contender? Is there something to suggest the indica statured one is better?

I paid 150USD for 5 seeds, he sent 6 in the packet but one failed very early on.

I tend not to keep cuttings unless they are exceptional because I just enjoy trying all different strains and reading about them. In the last five years I've only kept an indica phenotype of a NL5XHaze from Sensi Seeds and a real knock out Herijuana from Sannies.

F

FastTony

I should say this is the first time I've bought an S1 so I expected uniformity, but this is a pleasant surprise!:)

H

happy b

Thanks happy b, what exactly do you mean by a contender? Is there something to suggest the indica statured one is better?

I paid 150USD for 5 seeds, he sent 6 in the packet but one failed very early on.

I tend not to keep cuttings unless they are exceptional because I just enjoy trying all different strains and reading about them. In the last five years I've only kept an indica phenotype of a NL5XHaze from Sensi Seeds and a real knock out Herijuana from Sannies.
I meant a contender to be the best one and as a possible keeper.just coz you says you took cuts from em all.

ZONER

ZONER

Think of it like FATERNAL TWIN not identical twins. Same parents but FATERNAL twins will have different traits from both parents, some times more of the moms and sometimes more of the dads.

Now this is just my half assed answer because its easier for me to make sense of it this way ...lol

straincreation

straincreation

I waznt refering to the pheno uniformity . I was talking about the plant structure of that one plant, node spacing, node stretch, bud size. Without topping that turned out to be very nice bush.
happy farmin;)

kgp

kgp

Only a true breeding plant will make close replicas of itself when selfed. It's a great test to see how stable the genetics are.

A true breeding is usually a land race or ibl.

When breeding in theory the will duplicate themselves when selfed or have very little difference between them.

When crossing two true breeding strains it will create a true F1 hybrid and in theory will be a very stable mix of the two plants and should show only one pheno type.

Polyhybrid plants are what you see most. Crossing polyhybrid with polyhybrid is further diluting the gene pool and creates plants of many different phenotypical expression.

Bubba is obviously a polyhybrid but you still have a chance of finding something good, just no constancy or high odds of finding a mother dominant phenos.

Canalchemist

Canalchemist

^^THIS^^ I grew out the HSO Chemdog a while back, they were all relatively uniform except for some slight differences but nothing as dramatic as your Picture. I wouldn't worry to much man.

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
Only a true breeding plant will make close replicas of itself when selfed. It's a great test to see how stable the genetics are.

A true breeding is usually a land race or ibl.

When breeding in theory the will duplicate themselves when selfed or have very little difference between them.

When crossing two true breeding strains it will create a true F1 hybrid and in theory will be a very stable mix of the two plants and should show only one pheno type.

Polyhybrid plants are what you see most. Crossing polyhybrid with polyhybrid is further diluting the gene pool and creates plants of many different phenotypical expression.

Bubba is obviously a polyhybrid but you still have a chance of finding something good, just no constancy or high odds of finding a mother dominant phenos.
@kgp .......Nice explanation of a true breeding plant. Most folks having never bred a plant typically think breeding is as easy as chucking a little pollen here and there. With all the breeding going on now a days very few truly understand the process and the amount of work, dedication, record keeping and the time and money it takes to develop and stabilize a new strain line.

Thank you

F

FastTony

Took a while but I just figured out how to quote people!

Big thanks to kgp for such an informative reply, that was a great read.

I grew out the HSO Chemdog a while back, they were all relatively uniform except for some slight differences but nothing as dramatic as your Picture. I wouldn't worry to much man.

Well this is what motivated me to make the posting in the first place, I love reading growers' journals on here and always do some research before buying a strain (actually one of my favourite parts of the whole process!! :) ) and hadn't seen as dramatic photos out there either. But I'm not worried at all I'm just really excited!

@kgp .......Nice explanation of a true breeding plant. Most folks having never bred a plant typically think breeding is as easy as chucking a little pollen here and there. With all the breeding going on now a days very few truly understand the process and the amount of work, dedication, record keeping and the time and money it takes to develop and stabilize a new strain line.

Thank you

I agree that breeding appears to be a very complex process, I would very much like to try it one day but am enjoying learning about the growth of the plant at present. I think the main thing I assumed before the kind people here helped me was that an S1 selection was guaranteed to be uniform regardless of their heritage.

Top Bottom