Why do people transplant twice?

• Thread starter weed420420420420420
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Neuro

Neuro

If you plant ice, you're gonna harvest wind.
Thereā€™s no reason to have root bound pots, nor do smaller pots increase plant size. OP is talking about plants in the ground, which basically have unlimited pot size.
Your seedling will 100% grow faster in early veg if transplanted into a solo cup or a one gallon than it will if you just stick it in the ground. Growth rate and plant size are two separate issues.

weed420420420420420

weed420420420420420

well if i plant them straight in the ground what happens is annihilation from slugs anyway...

thats why we need to start in SOMEMTHING. Cuz when you plant in the ground nature says gotcha real fuckin fast.

Madmax

Madmax

I put down slug pellets stops that..hell ive even put a ring around them with washing powder when had no pellets..you watch those snails bubble up lol when they hit it šŸ¤£..i put mine straight in ground soon as they are up.but sometimes if im planting early i will put in small pots till ground warms up..yeah slow growing first month and abit but after that whoosh they really get going..i lst outside along ground for 3 months then let it all come up.i start with 6 main branches and end up with 100 tops.

Last edited:
weed420420420420420

weed420420420420420

the elements are hard on seedlings thats just a fact. the ground is colder in early season. the rain is cold. the nights are cold. there's downpours. It's definitely better to start your pot in a pot.

mancorn

mancorn

Off of having put a seedling straight into the ground as opposed to transplanting.
Fair enough. However from my ecophysiological experiments on root development using nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR) images of root systems, itā€™s the plant mass per unit rooting volume that is relevant rather than pot size. Granted your more detailed analyses is certainly intriguing and worthy of additional analysis.

Observationist

Observationist

Fair enough. However from my ecophysiological experiments on root development using nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR) images of root systems, itā€™s the plant mass per unit rooting volume that is relevant rather than pot size. Granted your more detailed analyses is certainly intriguing and worthy of additional analysis.
Ooo please more detail on these experiments and curious what type of NMR/what the device looks like?

Thanks!

BorealCuring

BorealCuring

Supporter
It seems like roots don't fully explore the soil when you put a small plant into a large pot.
I find seedlings do better when the roots have to work a bit. My old man used to mix gravel in his starter mix. I always thought it was because he was cheap. lol. Hitting the side or bottom of a cup, or getting a little air prune stressing seems to make it work harder and build up a head of steam because once you go to a 3 gallon, Boom, you can see it grow. That might be all in my mind though.

I grow lots. Thousands some years. Not so much lately but I always start 2x2 inch peat pots and sometimes jiffy pellets. It's all about the space they take up. This year I have 5 flats of peat pots, and 5 flats of Jiffy pellets with 90-100 per flat. The weaklings get culled at week 2, 4, 6 and 8 when they go out. At week 6 the best 30 get a 2 gallon transplant. I'll be left with about 100. Some will go in the ground without even one transplant, and the rest get distributed to friends. There's no way in hell I could do that starting in bigger pots.

In past years, with peat pellets, I've transported 1000 seedlings out to the field in one trip. You can't do that with big pots. Contrary to popular belief, in the ground, an 8 week old seedling in a small peat pot can grow as big as an 8 week old seedling in a 3 gallon pot. All you need is a good amendment in and around your hole.

Last edited:
Edinburgh

Edinburgh

With a photoperiod plant you can transplant, I usually start out in solo cups get them into 2gal pots and before put outside put in a 5 or 7gal pot depending on strain, you do not transplant autoflowers you sow them in the pot you intend to do your whole grow in.

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
I had to sign in to YT to confirm my age to view this video....Adult stuff this planting grass in pots.....Good stuff DrG55...I too have been misled, I guess.šŸ˜šŸ˜

Even this guy talked about shock when transplanting. Shock happens when you shock the plant not in transplanting. Keep your hands off the roots prepare the hole, GENTLY remove the plant and place it in the new hole. I only see shock when I fk up and abuse the plant otherwise the next day they are thriving and I swear they are bigger one day after transplanting. Where's the shock?

Last edited:
Homesteader

Homesteader

I usually go from seedling trays into large grow bags. Why would that slow down growth? It very well may be a waste of electricity doing it this way seeing how I can't cramp all my plants into a smaller footprint but root development being slowed down? I don't buy it

Neuro

Neuro

Fantastic! Link your peer-reviewed article please. Also, please let me know more about this marvelous fairyland where I can plant my new seedlings in a more nurturing environment than one I'm able to artificially manipulate.

Neuro

Neuro

Granted your more detailed analyses is certainly intriguing and worthy of additional analysis.
Analyses are plural and as such "are". An analysis is singular and "is". I'm sure the journals you publish in don't worry about silly things like that though.

growsince79

growsince79

#1 proper watering cycle.
#2 I can't fit 4 x 3g pots in my 1.5 x 2

Top Bottom