Why Do Plants Produce Trichomes?

• Thread starter Purp Nugs
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Purp Nugs

Purp Nugs

I have been gaining knowledge like a dry sponge in water so I thought I would ask this question right here at the best data base community known to man :)

I know a lot about the what, where and when about trichomes but haven't learned much about the why.

If my memory serves me right someone said that plants create trichomes to defend the flower against insects. Is this information correct?

H

heisen

So I can get high. Duh.

Yes, it's defense. That's why UV light can yield you more trichs
I dont agree with this,Ive used UV,CMH,HPS,COBS and the only thing that i noticed that increased trichs was lower temps and lower humidity.Ive ran clones seperate runs with CMH and the trich production was exactly the same as HPS.
I think one reason guys see more trichs under CMH cause they are running a cooler canopy which is giving them more trichs.

DemonTrich

DemonTrich

Not all cmh are created =

T12 (double jacket), the uva/UVB is almost void due to the outer glass.
T9 on the other hand will dry rot your panda floor in 10 weeks. It will also make your skin crawl while working for 30 mins or more unprotected.

This comment is with Philip's bulbs only. Read the base of the t12 for confirmation.

I also.run sealed.co2 rooms. I did not change my weekly adjustments when I went from 3x600hps to 4x 315 cmh

GT21

GT21

I like soup
Supporter
I dont agree with this,Ive used UV,CMH,HPS,COBS and the only thing that i noticed that increased trichs was lower temps and lower humidity.Ive ran clones seperate runs with CMH and the trich production was exactly the same as HPS.
I think one reason guys see more trichs under CMH cause they are running a cooler canopy which is giving them more trichs.
Uv.. Is...well uv
Cmh.. Has low nanometers
Hps.. Has none
Cobs.. Also pretty low nanometers.

Uv lights are supposed to supplement hps which has none. Uv is effective and proven... Just not in the pot world. But weed growers are the Pioneers in the study of life science and biology hahaha

MW7945

MW7945

I have clients who run my darlins net. I pull way more weight with my cmh 315, than they do with 600hps. Grower exp trumps most all aspects.

Yeah, I actually have two seeds left of what I first ever grew (Aurora Indica), and I'm half tempted to run them next and see what I can get out of them with a better setup/knowledge. Not an expert by any means but night and day difference from now and then lol

RippedTorn

RippedTorn

Defense trichomes are for defense. They give the plant the cat tongue texture, abrasive to exoskeleton joints.

Resin banks are excess oils stored for the sole purpose of enabling plant respiration.

Resin heads are not defensive Trichomes, they are not production glands, they are storage banks connected to the various acid pathways of the plant. Isoprenoid biosynthesis is the primary goal of the plant and the caretaker of the plant,all created for plant respiration (if you believe in science, but we all know better)

Purp Nugs

Purp Nugs

20180520 135648

This is my Chemdog at the end of 4 weeks of bloom. Does she look about right?

GT21

GT21

I like soup
Supporter
Defense trichomes are for defense. They give the plant the cat tongue texture, abrasive to exoskeleton joints.

Resin banks are excess oils stored for the sole purpose of enabling plant respiration.

Resin heads are not defensive Trichomes, they are not production glands, they are storage banks connected to the various acid pathways of the plant. Isoprenoid biosynthesis is the primary goal of the plant and the caretaker of the plant,all created for plant respiration (if you believe in science, but we all know better)
Hahaha the resin head....you mean the cuticle? Not for defense? https://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/bk-1983-0208.ch005

Capture 2018 05 21 05 01 09
Top Bottom