Why don't regular farmers have problems like we do?

• Thread starter Jimster
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
BogartAmungus

BogartAmungus

that is actually the farmers market equivalent of that... Sorry the hype of it all makes me laugh.
If you do brambles I highly recommend Prime Ark Traveler primocane bearing blackberries man. I am on my 3rd season with them and they are big, sweet, hardy, would be great for farmers market. Plus they bear fruit from June till frost. Bumper crop in june and depending on how you pinch them smaller crop throughout the rest of season. This picture is from September 22 last season. 1st crop is much bigger berries too.
20190922 082234

R

redshift75

If you do brambles I highly recommend Prime Ark Traveler primocane bearing blackberries man. I am on my 3rd season with them and they are big, sweet, hardy, would be great for farmers market. Plus they bear fruit from June till frost. Bumper crop in june and depending on how you pinch them smaller crop throughout the rest of season. This picture is from September 22 last season. 1st crop is much bigger berries too.
View attachment 976754
im trying to bring back some wild patches. but it takes a lot of clearing out other species. so i havent gotten into any berries really. we have a few apple trees and some cherry trees. But there are blackberry and raspberries. not sure of variety. But i havent got them back enough yet to get a real harvest off them. partly last year the bear and deer beat me to them. The bear tore down the fencing then the deer followed up and helped themselves.

BogartAmungus

BogartAmungus

im trying to bring back some wild patches. but it takes a lot of clearing out other species. so i havent gotten into any berries really. we have a few apple trees and some cherry trees. But there are blackberry and raspberries. not sure of variety. But i havent got them back enough yet to get a real harvest off them. partly last year the bear and deer beat me to them. The bear tore down the fencing then the deer followed up and helped themselves.
My biggest foe is the mighty squirrel lol little bastards literally stole/ruined my ENTIRE peach harvest. I literally have eaten maybe 6 peaches in last two years. I have to cage the tender cane sprouts or the rabbits eat most of them lol. Bugs, animals, and probably humans this year as I plan on putting my 5th plant in the garden since I lost one to sex. Twice I've tried to grow weed and twice it was stolen šŸ¤£šŸ™„šŸ˜”

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
How in hell do regular farmers grow crops like they do? I have never seen one pre-soak seeds in coconut water tea, shave off the point of their seeds, or feed and water 5x a day... how in hell do they do it? I also wonder where they hide the tanks and silos full of specialized "Giant Kernel" nutes. I have no idea when they sneak out to measure the PPM and Ph of the soil every other day or inspect every leaf daily for signs of something that could maybe, possibly go wrong.
Obviously I am being sarcastic, but most new growers approach growing like putting a man on Mars, with technology being the only thing making it possible. The manufacturers of the nutes and equipment have brainwashed generations of growers, making them think that it is impossible to grow unless you use every potion and powder known to man, daily and twice on weekends. When the soil gets overloaded with nutrients and plants suffer, the recommended treatment is usually to add more stuff to an already semi-toxic mix.
I'm making this rant so hopefully some newer growers will elax a little and grow things with a lot less technology or additives. Farmers use moderation but also try to make sure their fields are properly prepared before planting, and don't usually fertilize again after their initial planting. Take a few pointers from them as they have managed to grow their crops for centuries without more additives than soil. Relax and enjoy your grow... leave the worrying and big Canna growing to the factories that have only profit in mind. Like tomatoes, the really good kinds are the ones that you don't see in supermarkets. Don't be afraid to experiment and try growing with a minimum of additives. Some nutrition is necessary, but a bucket full for a plant is overkill, IMHO. Sorry if I offended anyone, it just bugs me that the majority of new growers think you need a laboratory to grow a plant.
What are your thoughts?

The main thing I disagree with is the tomato reference lol. Commercial tomato farmers are stingy with their nutes and grow for volume over quality. Ask any tomato aficionado and theyll tell you the best tomato you can eat is one that was intentionally overfed to induce stress which increases the lycopene content, but results in a much smaller, less valuable crop yield.

Kanzeon

Kanzeon

The main thing I disagree with is the tomato reference lol. Commercial tomato farmers are stingy with their nutes and grow for volume over quality. Ask any tomato aficionado and theyll tell you the best tomato you can eat is one that was intentionally overfed to induce stress which increases the lycopene content, but results in a much smaller, less valuable crop yield.

Either that or water deprived ones. There are tomato farmers on the east coast that don't water at all past May, and they turn out the most absurdly flavorful tomatoes I've ever had.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
That and heat, yeah? Seems like it's really similar conceptually to wine grapes grown in hot climates like Spain or Southern California.
Yeah, tomatoes love heat, low to mid 30's celcius, and they also love stifling humidity, and low Nitrogen when they're fruiting.

BogartAmungus

BogartAmungus

Yeah, tomatoes love heat, low to mid 30's celcius, and they also love stifling humidity, and low Nitrogen when they're fruiting.
We have all of that. I plan on planting a sour diesel clone in my garden tomorrow. I looked it up and it said my Climate is definitely not ideal. WTF over?! Doesn't like humidity. Mid to southern IL. Anybody ever grow it outside? Wonder if I will waste my time with it.

weedtech

weedtech

Supporter
wine grapes grown in hot climates like Spain or Southern California.

Not quite. Something to be aware of is adaption for certain varieties ( you can read that as strain ). Not much "great" wine is grown in "hot" places. The fact is the nuance is what folks pay for - JUST like they do with their weed, at least here where wine grapes are grown and folks get all fussy about this and that. A few degrees this way or that during summer or winter decides what succeeds and is marketable.

I tend to use lots of research for standard crops and adapt what was learned for what I do with Cannabis, with the understanding the crop is unique and not just a smelly tomato that lacks an easy to pick fruit.

I really like the question @Jimster poses - I come from a long line of farmers and have heard how that goes ( no one in the family farms anymore ) to the point of distraction. There is a flow with a crop - and outdoors at scale you are at the mercy of weather. And the market. And not getting sick or breaking a leg. Farming is hard core like most folks could never imagine.

Kanzeon

Kanzeon

Not quite. Something to be aware of is adaption for certain varieties ( you can read that as strain ). Not much "great" wine is grown in "hot" places. The fact is the nuance is what folks pay for - JUST like they do with their weed, at least here where wine grapes are grown and folks get all fussy about this and that. A few degrees this way or that during summer or winter decides what succeeds and is marketable.

Tell that to the people in Rioja, Ribera del Duero, the Duoro valley in Portugal, Sicily, Campania (Taurasi), Greece, and Australia. šŸ˜‰

It all depends on the varietal, how it's farmed, and how it matches the terroir. You're right in that weather plays a big factor, but things like harvest time are just as important- look at Champagne. Great wine comes from everywhere, it just doesn't always have the fanfare to match it.

Tempranillo, Grenache/Garnacha/Cannonau, Syrah/Shiraz, Zinfandel/Primitivo, Cabernet Sauvignon, and a few more are well-suited to hot weather. I've even had some stuff from the Eastern half of the US that I'd classify as great.

People do pay for the nuance, but more often they pay for the name. Many of the big name cabs (Caymus, Axios, Shafer) from Napa/Sonoma these days are over-extracted swill with the subtlety of Bobcat Goldthwait and no small amount of RS, but clout-chasing douchebags with yachts will still pay $80+ per bottle anyway. The same varietals grown in Bordeaux, Ribera del Duero, or Tuscany at the same price point frequently display more finesse, especially for the value.

The parallels of cannabis and wine are many (terpenes!), especially when it comes to marketing hype. So much Champagne (much of Moet's portfolio but especially Veuve and Dom) is horrendously overpriced because people don't know how much better the small houses in the Grands Crus are.

noitnone

noitnone

How in hell do regular farmers grow crops like they do? I have never seen one pre-soak seeds in coconut water tea, shave off the point of their seeds, or feed and water 5x a day... how in hell do they do it? I also wonder where they hide the tanks and silos full of specialized "Giant Kernel" nutes. I have no idea when they sneak out to measure the PPM and Ph of the soil every other day or inspect every leaf daily for signs of something that could maybe, possibly go wrong.
Obviously I am being sarcastic, but most new growers approach growing like putting a man on Mars, with technology being the only thing making it possible. The manufacturers of the nutes and equipment have brainwashed generations of growers, making them think that it is impossible to grow unless you use every potion and powder known to man, daily and twice on weekends. When the soil gets overloaded with nutrients and plants suffer, the recommended treatment is usually to add more stuff to an already semi-toxic mix.
I'm making this rant so hopefully some newer growers will elax a little and grow things with a lot less technology or additives. Farmers use moderation but also try to make sure their fields are properly prepared before planting, and don't usually fertilize again after their initial planting. Take a few pointers from them as they have managed to grow their crops for centuries without more additives than soil. Relax and enjoy your grow... leave the worrying and big Canna growing to the factories that have only profit in mind. Like tomatoes, the really good kinds are the ones that you don't see in supermarkets. Don't be afraid to experiment and try growing with a minimum of additives. Some nutrition is necessary, but a bucket full for a plant is overkill, IMHO. Sorry if I offended anyone, it just bugs me that the majority of new growers think you need a laboratory to grow a plant.
What are your thoughts?

I am a farmer as well and once I started growing my pot like a I grow a crop life was a lot easier. Do I get the biggest badass harvest no, but I dont have to its mine and I can grow more pure clean pot than i can smoke or eat. With very little effort. I soil test my patch give it what its lacking plant my little seedings, water, weed and grow.

Latest posts

Top Bottom