why hardly any aeroponics?

• Thread starter please2waze
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
please2waze

please2waze

Why are there so little people using aero? Not the hybrid hydro/NFT/DWC slanted tubes, but full on TRUE aero. There are many manufacturers that make and will custom design sprayers that will not clog and can have push button cleaning, to keep from having to take off nozzle to clean. They can also be run with an air compressor alone, which creates an aspirator type suction in nozzle head, siphoning from the reservoir. This opens up lots of different options as far as organics are concerned, since they are more sediment prone. Am currently in the process of moving, but will be posting a good design before too long. Would love to see more people interested in developing this great technology more!! take it easy...

N

Nuglover

I can only speak for myself but in my opinion it's too easy for something to go wrong, and go wrong fast. That and unless you build it yourself, there kinda pricey. I grow in soil...cheaper and WAY more forgiving.

J

johnnyballbag

Premium Member
Supporter
I think it has a lot to do with the maintenance. That and like NugLover said, when something goes wrong, it manifests itself FAST. I've been wanting to do a true aero build, but have just been waiting on some of the parts to accumulate, namely a chiller. Which my buddy is bringing here as i type this. :) Only reason i haven't done an aero setup is 'cuz i needed a chiller, and i won't run aero until i build a pH doser. I think JK would be a great guy to talk to as far as some of the tanks you could use. His gear isn't a fucking joke. Looking forward to seeing what you're working with.

mace

mace

My personal reasons are investment price, area to test it, and the fact that i really do enjoy being organic.

Greyskull

Greyskull

aeroponic growing will push out crazy yeilds.
when dialed in its tough to match... its the dialing it in and maintaining part of it that steers me away. if you can handle it,

good luck

J

Jalisco Kid

What everybody said above plus the plant count. I built my aero sys out of 8" pvc sewer pipe and used self cleaning nozzles. Once you have it dialed in it rocks. But I can do more with ten trees then 150 in a sea of green. Both have their pro's and con's. I just don't have the balls to run a few hundred plants anymore like reaper used to do. An other system I made is with that 5" square plastic fencing. I used to buy 20' for $27. Now I see there is a company using the same material selling them for outrageous prices.
I feel in hydro a chiller is far more important then a/c.

As far as time/maintenance its not that bad. I used to go to my show once a week for a rez change. Suerte JK

unless you like to read and are a quick study I would not start out on an aero sys first. Well unless you do not need your meds that bad.

F

FastForward

AFAIK there's only a few true aeroponic systems that are affordable to the non-commercial farmer....like the Atomix....the others are all hybrids of NFT and DWC imho.

If you want to give it a go, try using an ultrasonic pond fogger for £15 from your local electrical component shop. I tried and failed due to nute/air temps being too high - if you properly heat insulate your aero box and keep nutes at 20c you should be rock and roll.

T

Time

I shut mine down because I moved and the unit was too loud for my new location.

M

mnm5683

I made my own aero table with pond pumps and sprayers and it worked awesome for my tomatoes and basil. One issue I had and one of the reasons I am not using it now is when the power goes out if you do not have a power backup stuff dies quick when the fluid does not flow. So power supply is a must. Dont let your roots plug the drain, pump cant pump if the nutes dont return. Definately make sure there is no debris to block the sprayers and that the sprayers are at the appropriate height. Solid 360 deg sprayers that dont spin do not actually cover 360 degrees, more like an hour glass, the rotory 360 degree sprayers are the best of the two. The ultra sonic pond foggers are awesome too but they also heat the nutrient solution too and adding a sprayer assists with keeping the temp down as well, Tried this in my cloner. But as far as production I would definately like to try one of my girls in there soon.

T

todgerdelburro

I can only speak for myself but in my opinion it's too easy for something to go wrong, and go wrong fast. That and unless you build it yourself, there kinda pricey. I grow in soil...cheaper and WAY more forgiving.

As nuglover says, when it all goes wrong, it goes wrong fast.

NFT is the same, a knife edge, just not quite as sharp a knife edge as Aeroponics ... my friend does a lot of experimenting and had a table up and running that he said the crop was actually looking better than on our homebrewed NTF tables, but he gave it up after constant problems with blockages and leaks, it is only better if it works 100%. This guy is highly experienced and really knows his way around all the Hydro systems BTW.

My first ever grow tested soil vs NFT, I never bothered with soil again ! Now I use Coco for the reliability and ease, speed and yield are down on NFT, but I reckon I win out in the long run due to it's reliability.

jah_hoover

jah_hoover

I love my coco grows too much and i love to hand water myself

like a true farmer:)

Notoriousskunk

Notoriousskunk

if you like aero check seemorebuds he smashes aero, i like the systems he use's and if i cud get them aero wud be on for me but i feel i am to clumsy to do any kidna diy job and i am worried about water leakage as i got a shit load of electrical stuff on the floor in my grow room so bit of health and safety to , i am beginning to love DWC it has some serious growth rates every day i am getting at leash 2 inces like nuffin cant wait to start heavy feeding and flowerin

PEace

N$

M

mnm5683

Right now that is what I am using is a homemade DWC. I do want to try dirt one day though and the homemade aero that is sitting around waiting for the last frost to go tomato & basil crazy again, I do love the aero especially for cloning. I need to set up a battery backup on the pump for power supply and I believe that I worked out all the filtration issues to reduce the blockage of sprayers. I did use this aero system outdoors but covered to prevent rain from mixing in with nutes.

Table
Table3
Table1
please2waze

please2waze

Does someone with experience know what micron level is best for the mist? In between approx. 5-15 microns vs. <50 microns?

K

kansasgrown

I've been using aeroponic on my tower grows for a few years already and for me there is no better way to grow. The reason why most people shy away from it is because it is a bit hard to dial it in just right, as different strains take different amounts of ferts. I usually am only able to go up to 50% of the prescribed fert levels for hydro (depending on strain) before I start to get fert lock up. Some strains I only go up to 25%. Whenever I work in my tower grows I have to have my mind clear as a mess up can be a big boo-boo. Once dialed in I can get 50% more product over regular hydro without much more effort.

homebrew420

homebrew420

I am currently using a Rainforest 66 from GH. also using the FloraNova series nutes. I am truly impressed by how fast the NL #5 and Master Kush grow. Now I know this is not a true aero system but until the roots get down into the res below, it is. The nice thing about the system is just that. While it will take a week to grow those roots into the res, once this happens the plants keep going like a DWC system. best of both worlds. Down side, in the begining sometims the Vortc sprayer is not very efficient and the hydroton can dry out a bit, not too big of a deal. Also it is a small system not accomidating more than six plant, small plants at that. Now a DIY system simmilar to this whould be ideal. even if the pump(s) go out the roots would still have an abundant syupply of nutes to bath in will you wait. I think when this grow is finnished I will try a Diy hybrid system. good luck growing to all

T

todgerdelburro

I've been using aeroponic on my tower grows for a few years already and for me there is no better way to grow. The reason why most people shy away from it is because it is a bit hard to dial it in just right, as different strains take different amounts of ferts. I usually am only able to go up to 50% of the prescribed fert levels for hydro (depending on strain) before I start to get fert lock up. Some strains I only go up to 25%. Whenever I work in my tower grows I have to have my mind clear as a mess up can be a big boo-boo. Once dialed in I can get 50% more product over regular hydro without much more effort.

kansasgrown, what do you mean by a 'regular hydro' ... what system and how did you use it ?

K

kindindy123

aero 9 agri

I bought one of the aero 9 machine,i never seen anything grow so fast,the plants were so healthly,lush green,soaked with resin,pic would be nice,but this machine is very precise,you are open to so many. things,definatly need a chiller, i was only allowed to run in the cooler mnths.after i lost a crop of 9 bushes, at the end of may, sucked,it took quite some time to pull plants out & sterylized,all for nothing,in time i will go back,since perpetual crop,2 in 2 out every 2 wks,works the best for me,either soil,or single dwc containers,not connected, as of now.aeroponics is definatly race car performance.

Z

zino13

Re Areo

Greetings

I second that notion
Areo just toooo many problem Ya got to babysit it all the time!

Now DWC I can do that in my sleep ..........ezY is best!

K

kansasgrown

kansasgrown, what do you mean by a 'regular hydro' ... what system and how did you use it ?

What I mean by a regular hydro is what others refer to as a bucket system. The only real difficulty in a true aeroponic system that I have come across is clogged jets. But I find that if I clean out my system everytime between grows that I do not have that problem.
I am going to be building a complete tower grow system for one of my friends overseas and I will document it with pictures so that those of you that have enough "cojones" to deal with a few hundred clones can see substantial increases in productivity. Definitely not for the faint of heart as this delves in "Fed Time" quantities here in the states. Think of a sea of green vertically completely going around the bulbs instead of just on one side......

Top Bottom