Why I trim dry now. Don't believe the hype

• Thread starter Bubblehaze
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
sky high

sky high

I don't have a problem with overdrying , savanalona. That's why I'm hesitant to fuck with a good thing. :D 6-7 days in the rack...off the stem...gently into oven bags. Opem 'em...exchange the air a few times over the next week....add another bag.... tie em off..... stuff in footlocker... forget 'em....

just finished off a bag of 6 month cured Chemdog D nugs. Shit was danker than when it went in and still spongey....

K

kuz

please don't drying your plants with lights on is a bad idea, i don;t know the science behind it i just know that it will not smell or taste nearly as good.
Thanks, I wont. Figured it was a bad idea but was going to see for myself.

You dry trimmers take off the big leaves just before the chop like Jack Dupp mentioned.

I used to have a filtered drying room in a basement, that was ideal for sure.

putembk

putembk

Let's look at this from another perspective. George mentioned r/h, and stated that he was curing at 30%. IMHO you want to end up at a constant 60% in jars for long term curing. However when I first harvest my r/h will shoot up to upper 60/s and gradually drop down to 50% in my dry room. I want that 50% until I move to the next step which is sacks for me. The r/h will again rise and I go through an open and close routine. (crispy/spongy) I will move to jars as soon as the r/h starts to stabilize. Will burp the jars until I achieve that 60% number. Don't worry much after that as it is gone fast.

sanvanalona

sanvanalona

I'd take kook's 'science' with a giant grain of salt. Maybe, just maybe, he's completely full of shit. I trim wet, my nugs don't flash dry on me, and I will put the end product up against any. I'm not saying my way is the best or only way. But I will contend that I'm in no way sacrificing aroma, flavor, or potency trimming wet.

If you harvest dense resinous flowers they are not going to shrivel up to crap over night because you cut the leaves off wet. My nugs have been curing (slowwwww drying) in tupperware's for the past week. I like the tupperwares because they are sealed but not airtight, so they can breathe, but if you don't fuck with them they leak air and moisture slowly. You still need to 'burp' them so to speak, but really just to let the air out, turn the bud a little and reseal. They'll stay in tupperwares for about 2 weeks like this until they are dry enough to go into jars without getting moldy and without needing any more burping.

Overall I'm very much a 'whatever works for ya' as long as quality is not being sacrificed. Trimming is definitely a good example of this. Ask 10 folks get 10 different answers, but only 2 of them are producing anything worthwhile. The other 8 just don't know it.

outwest
All I can say is give both methods a try and see what works. I was put in the middle of these methods when I lived in MT and most everybody I know trims wet there. I figured I would test it myself with a strain we called silver tip up there, a urkel hybrid, but when I did the test of dry and wet I had a really good buddy who is what I would call a afficiando and he thought that the wet bud and cured on the vine bud were two different types of mj. Its just a personal experience but I really think you guys would like it dry.....really doesn;t take more than a couple grams to prove me right or wrong you know? Happy harvests brothers and sisters!!!!!!!

OGONLY

OGONLY

Didn't read all the responses but let me just say I've done both. After lots of trial and error, I found that letting it hang on the branch ( depending on temp and humid) for 1 week is the perfect time to wait before the final trim. If your temp averages above 75 degrees 6 days, less than 65 10 days.

Trimming too wet gums up scissors too much and is more difficult. Allowing more time to dry is the way to go no question unless you are a hack trying to make a quick buck. Rush it and it shows, I'm all about quality. I trim at around day 7-8, then let it hang on a drying rack until it is perfectly dry and ready to go into jars. Not too dry, not too wet. Let it get too dry and you are screwed. It's all about the perfect dryness for the best cure.

Georgekush22

Georgekush22

I don't have a problem with overdrying , savanalona. That's why I'm hesitant to fuck with a good thing. :D 6-7 days in the rack...off the stem...gently into oven bags. Opem 'em...exchange the air a few times over the next week....add another bag.... tie em off..... stuff in footlocker... forget 'em....

just finished off a bag of 6 month cured Chemdog D nugs. Shit was danker than when it went in and still spongey....
Same exact process minus the bags.:rolleyes: I go into into jars and burp for about another week and the its into the foot locker. I have however used a humidifier in the room I hang em around Jan or Feb around these parts with it being so dry round here at that time, just an extra measure in order to make sure that the outside of the nugs dry at the same rate the insides do.

KitsapGrapeApe

KitsapGrapeApe

i personally haven't decided yet if i prefer to take the fan leafs off before i cut them and hang them or when i consider the plant ready to be trimmed. i've done it both ways and gotta do it a few more times to figure it out. i am leaning to leaving them on so the plant will take longer to dry. i'm very into the slowest possible dry. i like to keep my room at 60 degrees with 50% humidity during the drying process.

caveman4.20

caveman4.20

Same exact process minus the bags.:rolleyes: I go into into jars and burp for about another week and the its into the foot locker. I have however used a humidifier in the room I hang em around Jan or Feb around these parts with it being so dry round here at that time, just an extra measure in order to make sure that the outside of the nugs dry at the same rate the insides do.

:eek: i have a tent specifically for curing not bragging though because i find it a whole nother step to growing that is just as hard or can be as flowering....with that mentioned all i can say is K.I.S.S hurts you the most with curing and with that being said i look at curing as a window of opportunity to lock in the soul of the plant, the more soul you have to work with the more mistakes you can make before noticing with the untrained eye lungs nose etc....

caveman4.20

caveman4.20

I
If you trim dry,I would think the trichs would start falling off.
If you ever doubt yourself do yourself a favor and trim dry under a cool flourescent and watch for yourself what happens with EVERY snip of the scissors.....
I trim all my medicine stuper sticky! and i cure to lock the thc in a gel like state....but i am know expert just another self-proclaimed enthusiast

sky high

sky high

I stopped using jars when it started to take about 50 of em to contain the harvest. Fuckin jars >everywhere<. LOL. Then when they are empty you still have to have a place for 'em. The oven bags work the same way and allow full control over moisture levels..and it's a lot easier to "burp" a single bag than 25 jars....

So dry trimmers.......how do ya make full melt bubble with dry trim? Anything from dry trim here just comes out like a pressed kif.....crumbly....not good and gooey and shit.... is there a secret? :D

F

Fred

Premium Member
Supporter
I got to full melt stage once with over dry dry trim. Let in soak in the ice water for 30 mins prior to mixing. then mixed gently. Not my preferred method but it seemed to work ok that time. A previous run with dry trim was not good enough for me so when it happend again I soaked first. Not a miracle but better then running it right away.

Ohiofarmer

Ohiofarmer

Both methods have their pros and cons, i will say tho i believe if you dry trim/cure properly the buds seem to cure better and you wind up with a slightly better tasting and better smoking bud, however this i feel is generally b/c many newer growers who trim wet don't take things like humidity and drying temperature into consideration,when curing their buds. which then provides no base line so that their product is consistely incosistent. Just my 2 cents Take it easy

sanvanalona

sanvanalona

I stopped using jars when it started to take about 50 of em to contain the harvest. Fuckin jars >everywhere<. LOL. Then when they are empty you still have to have a place for 'em. The oven bags work the same way and allow full control over moisture levels..and it's a lot easier to "burp" a single bag than 25 jars....

So dry trimmers.......how do ya make full melt bubble with dry trim? Anything from dry trim here just comes out like a pressed kif.....crumbly....not good and gooey and shit.... is there a secret? :D
Yep you are pointing to the main reason for wet trimming in my mind, the full melt bubble. I can get amazing full melt with my dry stuff but I have to do a very light mix, as obviously veg matter can get in there easy. Nowadays I have been making dabs, and the dry stuff works perfect for that.

\
\

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
If you trim dry,I would think the trichs would start falling off.
Only if you don't control RH and let the buds get too dry. Keep them in the 60%-65% RH curing range and you'll be golden. One strain in particular, though, that I have to let get drier is Northern Lights #5, just too sticky @60%RH, gotta let it get just below that for ease of trimming and smoking.

There is also a lot to be said for leaving everything on the plant while drying and curing, and to me it's the same difference as one experiences when eating flesh cooked *on* the bone vs deboned flesh. With the bone is just soooo much better.

I was taught my methods by some old timers, and have never looked back. I also never use jars.

caveman4.20

caveman4.20

i would love to dry or leach out bulk of the moisture with big leave on but i cant get past that funky smell those leaves put off so i trim damn near everything the last day or two in the ground hang branches with bud and oily leaf then two weeks later after a controlled temp rh and no light dry a finish the trim at 60 rh like seamaiden damn near perfect for every thing then to the jars but i so agree with the jars everywhere being a hastle but there something about those turkey bags or vacuum bags that i think takes away from the cure.... there something coming out of the bud that never goes back in when i use bags to finish the cure that something i call soul and with jars i feel that the buds get a chance to absorb that soul back in if they so desire but ideally i use jars to trap that soul within the nug and i believe it has to do with atmospheric pressure.... im loving the brainstorming though you farmers are lovely!

P.s. I use to dry trim and the bubble hash came out CHINGON, i use distilled of course even for ice then after collecting from each silk screen i do a light kneeding on a heat mat for a good min and then cure the bubble to were its maleable and its stays like tootsie roll after that and bubbles up nice with heat everytime.... hope that helps if you stick with dry trimming

caveman4.20

caveman4.20

theres something about that sticky stuff on the scissors when trimming wet or sticky i like to say that maybe i trim too early just to collect that scissor hash which is the best in my eyes i even think it competes or beats those dabs depending on whos collecting the scissor ha$h i keep myne clean so i love to burn it even uncured it rips me up

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
They've gotta go through that funk to really get funky good. Plus, I don't smell it! In fact, there's a lot I don't smell. I agree on the turkey bags, I don't care for them because they tend to let the weed dry out too much for me, I have a difficult time controlling RH with them. I store my weed in a cool, not-too-dry, dark environment, but they're 'open' to parameters, not sealed up. I actually don't trim my weed down from the branch until I need it, and often just pull buds off the bone, leaves and all, and worry about getting the 'trimming' done as I smoke.

And then sometimes I roll fucking seeds into my joint. Damn it!

Top Bottom