Why I trim dry now. Don't believe the hype

• Thread starter Bubblehaze
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
outwest

outwest

Premium Gardener
Supporter
If you do that Outwest, aren't you sealing oxygen in with the buds, leaving the oxidation process to continue? I would think so...

Packaging and transport, not long term storage. Regardless, shit better be dry before you seal it!

outwest

yellowhead

yellowhead

Makes sense. Not so ideal for long term storage. Oxygen is a highly destructive molecule!

S

SatansSon

I dont understand why people dont freeze bud air tight for long term storage. I know from experience herbs can be stored frozed airtight almost indefinitely and not loose flavor or potentcy at all I guarantee you aI know people with herbs froze 5-10 years you can never tell hasn't just been cured. I know there is many wives tails freezing hurts the herbs butno way folks. I just thinkthe vac seals n nito pruge mumbo jumbo is severe overkill when ya can thoroughly dry a elbow n triple freezer bag it n forget about it for years.

WalterWhiteFire

WalterWhiteFire

I have had this discussion more than once... The conclusion I've reached is that the dry time is what is important. 6-7 days!!!!! If you are wet trimming, and your buds are dry in 3 days, you fucked up and should be dry trimming. If your dry trimming and it takes 2 weeks for a stem to snap, you fucked up and should have done some wet trimming to speed the process. Or better yet control your drying area perfectly to suit your trimming preference.
Im ultra picky about how my trim job looks too. I can honestly say I could pick the wet trimmed bud out of a bag of dried trimmed bud. It just looks shaggy unless you do some additional manicuring once its dried. I HATE when the crows feet are poking out after the bud has shrunk.

Bubblehaze

Bubblehaze

I dont understand why people dont freeze bud air tight for long term storage. I know from experience herbs can be stored frozed airtight almost indefinitely and not loose flavor or potentcy at all I guarantee you aI know people with herbs froze 5-10 years you can never tell hasn't just been cured. I know there is many wives tails freezing hurts the herbs butno way folks. I just thinkthe vac seals n nito pruge mumbo jumbo is severe overkill when ya can thoroughly dry a elbow n triple freezer bag it n forget about it for years.

Properly dried frozen weed turns to dust tried it and ruined a half p. The refrigerator works.

S

SatansSon

^^^No. Maybe if you froze it wet it may take on a nutty sorta under cured taste or not air tight it will dry out like meat freezer burns but I know for a fact this is false. If no ones letting on that they store weed long term froze then people are just keeping it secret from the new generation. Could very well be cuz until recently, last twenty years, lol I never heard or seen a grower anywhere that didn't trim totally dry n most let the whole plant hang for a month n cure natural. If for some weird reason it got too dry a damp qtip or so in th elbow would get the humidity perfect before it was triple bagged n froze fresh until needed n then thawed years later sometimes just as good as the day it was ready.

Bubblehaze

Bubblehaze

I froze mine completely dry and when I tried to smoke it it fell to dust with a little touch and tasted like shit. It was white master kush as well which is dense and nuggy. Maybe I froze it wrong it was in a seal a meal doubled up. Sucked tight not over tight.

S

SatansSon

Hmmmn sounds to me like the air got to it somehow. Try it with just a nug man cuz I'm not trying to deceive anyone. I've always stored my herbs air tight n frozen long term and I learned it from old school commercial growers. I know many kids blowing it up for a cash crop that wouldn't have survived the ups n downs of the green rush with out freezer storage either. For a couple years the joke to lighten the horrible mood of the flooded market was "looks like I'll need to buy another freezer". No kidding I even freeze my lil bits of personal in a mason jar sometimes until I take out some for using.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Perhaps it was actually too dry.

I won't freeze weed unless I'm planning on kiefing, bubble-hashing or dry-sifting it. It would take up too much valuable space in my freezers, for one thing.

Bubblehaze

Bubblehaze

Might have been to dry. I have only been smoking bho concentrates lately. It is much easier to store. Besides no matter how much I keep growing I always run out of herb never had to store it over a few weeks. Had to go to concentrates or have a bowl or joint lit all day to kill the pain.

Reactions: B.a
hellaouts

hellaouts

I am by no means an expert on this but what I do is, if I cut all my crop down at once, this is almost always the case, I cut all the fan leaves off, leaf everything that still has trichs on it, I have two racks with three tears on it so I cut the branches down to fit. I let it all dry for 8 days no more no less, where i live in central california this works perfect, Im sure it may not work as well in more or less humid places. The longer sugar leaves and what nots that stayed kinda make a cacoon for my nugs, I cant see this aiding in the drying process but in my eye it looks like a nice home for my nugs while they dry, I set a 16" osolator in between my two racks blowing out the door but not blowing on my wares. after 8 days they are ready for trim, I trim my tight , everything I trim off minus the steem goes into the freezer for bho, then to the jars, 1 zone per jar, burp once per day for the first 3 days, then once a week for the first month, maybe every two weeks after that. Like I said I am no expert, but I am a head, for 20 years now, I live in California and I grow my meds so that I make sure I have the top shelf all the time, this is the process I use and it is 100%. But I am only rocking a single 1000w and am able to trim all my urb in 8 to 16 hours sooooo that probly has something to do with this way working so well for me.

putembk

putembk

Just pulled some Black Domina 7 days ago and followed advise from this thread. Tried wet, wilted and dry trimming. Cut all fan leaves at harvest and left the sugar leaves on what I didn't trim immediately.
Trimming wet is fairly easy, yes it's tedious as hell but ok. Next waited for the sugar leaves to wilt about 3/4 days at 55% humidity. Hated doing it this way, wilted leaves don't cooperate. Finally today I finished and the sugar leaves simply break off when I touch they with my scissors. IMO this was the easiest. The buds still don't snap when I bend them so they are still hanging on the branches. Thinking another 12 to 24 hrs and will cut from the stems and move to sacks.

Bubblehaze

Bubblehaze

Just pulled some Black Domina 7 days ago and followed advise from this thread. Tried wet, wilted and dry trimming. Cut all fan leaves at harvest and left the sugar leaves on what I didn't trim immediately.
Trimming wet is fairly easy, yes it's tedious as hell but ok. Next waited for the sugar leaves to wilt about 3/4 days at 55% humidity. Hated doing it this way, wilted leaves don't cooperate. Finally today I finished and the sugar leaves simply break off when I touch they with my scissors. IMO this was the easiest. The buds still don't snap when I bend them so they are still hanging on the branches. Thinking another 12 to 24 hrs and will cut from the stems and move to sacks.

My point exactly.

sanvanalona

sanvanalona

Yes buddy! I am stoked you are giving this a shot, and am anxious to see what you conclude. Hell yeah!

reeldrag

reeldrag

it depends on your drying area as stated above if you wet trim and it takes 6 to 8 days to dry perfect if you just hang the plant no trim and it is dry 6 to 8 days perfect. I have done both ways and when done properly NOONE can tell the differance and if you think you can you have been smoking something other then the green. I have smoked plants that were hung whole and they tasted like shit cuz they had to hang for a month to dry out it was nasty and I have had wet trim stuff that was dry in 2 day and was so harsh I almost puked. They KEY is to do it right and your surroundings dictate which way is correct. after wet trimming I give them a nice grooming for looks and use that trim for my butter. wet trim and 8 days hanging 1 week in bag and then into jars A grade all day long. As for the freezing it does work but for some reason it works for one person but not the next. I have done it and a yr later it was fine but my brother had some that was only 6 months old and it was unsmokable not sure what they key is

putembk

putembk

it depends on your drying area as stated above if you wet trim and it takes 6 to 8 days to dry perfect if you just hang the plant no trim and it is dry 6 to 8 days perfect. I have done both ways and when done properly NOONE can tell the differance and if you think you can you have been smoking something other then the green. I have smoked plants that were hung whole and they tasted like shit cuz they had to hang for a month to dry out it was nasty and I have had wet trim stuff that was dry in 2 day and was so harsh I almost puked. They KEY is to do it right and your surroundings dictate which way is correct. after wet trimming I give them a nice grooming for looks and use that trim for my butter. wet trim and 8 days hanging 1 week in bag and then into jars A grade all day long. As for the freezing it does work but for some reason it works for one person but not the next. I have done it and a yr later it was fine but my brother had some that was only 6 months old and it was unsmokable not sure what they key is
Know your shit kiddo. Knowing your rooms and how they change is the key. Just got very cold in Colorado and my furnace is running a lot now. As a result my humidity in my main room dropped about 4%, my flower room did the same. My veg room dropped 8%. This is going to change the timing on the cure as well.

derelict

derelict

i've frozen bud with good success. but i don't have a freezer large enough to accomodate everything i grow, so it's not a good option for me. i guess i could invest in a chest freezer, but my power bill is enough as it is.

K

kuz

Put a plant in a tent, but didnt vent the scrubber out of the tent. The room is 50% humidity and I come back 10 hours later and the tent is 30%, and the plant almost dry. Most the big fans got pulled in the days before the chop. After the initial fuk up the tents been at 50%, here is a pic this is three days of drying, and its dry enough I could trim it easily. There is still some moisture in the stems, maybe it will be okay. Pt92dry301 Going to leave it as a whole plant for full 7 days then chop it down small enough to fit in the cure container. I'll trim it after a two week cure.

I forgot to weigh the plant, I want to start doing that so I can see exactly how much its dried.

P

paulycali

I froze mine completely dry and when I tried to smoke it it fell to dust with a little touch and tasted like shit. It was white master kush as well which is dense and nuggy. Maybe I froze it wrong it was in a seal a meal doubled up. Sucked tight not over tight.

Got to freeze dry it properly for one and then let it defrost slowly. Place in freezer immediately then its off to the refrigerator after a day or so. Then from refrigerator open bag and place in airtight jars immediately. Less oxygen the better imo. Start burping as needed

Top Bottom