Why is light bad during drying?

• Thread starter southern
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Blaze

Blaze

No, you can still get mold even w/o light. Molds are fungi and most fungi do not need sunlight to survive.

P

potgutz

I think it has something to do with the chemical changes that go on when when its drying and light affects this somehow also u can use a green light when the lights are out as the green spectrum can't be seen by the plants

S

Sea Of Green

I think it has something to do with the chemical changes that go on when when its drying and light affects this somehow also u can use a green light when the lights are out as the green spectrum can't be seen by the plants
Light, rather UVB light(such as found in direct sunlight), has the exact same effect on THC degradation/synthesis whether the plant is alive, drying, or fully dried.

And green light can definitely be seen by plants. They make green flourescent grow lights nowadays for that reason. It's just that green colored light corresponds to a small band of relatively lower photosynthetically active wavelengths in the PAR range. It's therefor a relatively weaker color of light for plant growth in that part of the spectrum. So it's correct to say that green light is better for not disturbing plants during the dark cycle. Since any other color that we can see easily, and projected at a level of brightness high enough to see easily with in the dark, should have a higher likelyhood of causing a disturbance in that part of the plant's photoperiod by activating photosynthesis.
http://i173.invalid.com/albums/w66/MrGeniusA/spectral-par.jpg

bloads

bloads

Light, rather UVB light(such as found in direct sunlight), has the exact same effect on THC degradation/synthesis whether the plant is alive, drying, or fully dried.

Does that mean that you could pull your plants at the beginning of amber, then hang them to dry (and cure in jars if needed) in your grow room until you get the % of amber trichomes you are aiming for, with the same results of leaving them on the plant longer?

symbiote420

symbiote420

Well I used to believe this just like the rest of you, till last year I got caught with no place to dry a 12 oz. harvest I had to dry them in my veg room under 24 hrs of light for over a week, I've been growing some of the same strains a long time now and I swear on a stack of bibles that there was absolutely no degration of the smoke whatsoever, I now have a closet I can't fit all of my buds in to dry, I hang the rest back in the veg room. I have them separated when curing and I honestly can't tell which was in the light or dark? maybe it's heat + light degrades THC or something but the light alone has never damaged my buds.

And mold will form wherever the conditions are right for it in the light, dark, wet, or whatever, I've had jars of buds ruined before in the dark by mold,too

S

Sea Of Green

Does that mean that you could pull your plants at the beginning of amber, then hang them to dry (and cure in jars if needed) in your grow room until you get the % of amber trichomes you are aiming for, with the same results of leaving them on the plant longer?
AFAIK the main cause for amber trichomes is oxidization(contact with O2). What I mean is I'm not sure that light energy(UVB) can cause that. It generally causes things to lose color, or colors to fade. Oxidization also causes the degradation of THC into other cannabanoids from what I understand. Though I'm not sure to what extent. Meaning I'm not sure that exposure to O2 alone is going to cause any loss of potency in terms of total overall cannabanoids. THC is not the only desirable cannabanoid medicinally. This is why some prefer to "cure" their buds longer(expose them to O2 longer). To increase the ratios of the other cannabanoids relative to THC in the usable product.
Well I used to believe this just like the rest of you, till last year I got caught with no place to dry a 12 oz. harvest I had to dry them in my veg room under 24 hrs of light for over a week, I've been growing some of the same strains a long time now and I swear on a stack of bibles that there was absolutely no degration of the smoke whatsoever, I now have a closet I can't fit all of my buds in to dry, I hang the rest back in the veg room. I have them separated when curing and I honestly can't tell which was in the light or dark? maybe it's heat + light degrades THC or something but the light alone has never damaged my buds.

And mold will form wherever the conditions are right for it in the light, dark, wet, or whatever, I've had jars of buds ruined before in the dark by mold,too
Don't get me wrong. I don't trip on a little bit of light hurting my buds either, alive or dead. I think it's effects are pretty negligible in most instances, especially if the plant is still producing resin and/or it's not from a strong UVB emitting source. Unless you were to leave them out in the sun to dry, or rather overdry, too long. Say like a day or two more than you should. Then it might make a significant difference in potency, though it may only be slight, since sunlight has a lot of UV rays.

Blaze

Blaze

AFAIK the main cause for amber trichomes is oxidization(contact with O2).

This is correct! I can see it happen day by day when I look at my bubble hash (pure trichomes) under a microscope. The longer you let it dry and cure, the more amber color you get. Also you will get more amber color when you make it out of dried cured material vs wet fresh material. I always see the color shift even when you dry I it in total darkness, so I am pretty sure that it is the O2 that does it more so than light.

A

andyT

It's important to keep your bud out of the light for several days after harvest because the plant is still alive and trying to produce all it's necessary functions by using light. One of the functions is to produce chlorophyll and carbohydrates and the continued production of these elements effect the taste of the pot, giving it a harsher, greener taste. Dark, slow, careful drying is the key.

F

Fordracing

Absolutely right... I turn the room light on to check mine 3-6 times a day and have done so ever since my first 5 dark periods which 2 caught mold from not checking on them and the other 3 I used a green light to check them. No difference at all out of the same strain 12 times in all. But however my room is dark when I'm not in there the other 23 hours lol so take this info with a grain of Epsom salt

puregrow

puregrow

Direct light, extreme humid or arid conditions, hot or cold are all factors you want to stay away from when drying. (Ideal conditions: 50% humidity, 60-70 degrees, good air circulation) I suppose its not terrible to have a small light in the room that your drying in, but if your using your light to help aid the drying process by pointing them directing at your medicine... then yeah, your degrading your hard work and your missing one of the most crucial part of being a good grower.... patience...... ;-)

Absolutely patience is what you need Long Beach California I got to get out to California always wanted to go up to Santa Rosa friend of mine lives out there and said the weather is beautiful all year long I fucking hate the snow lol but God blessed Colorado that's for sure like a different world cops are cool people walk around happy big shock from New York but right on their harvest honey patience is the key I just harvested some Kimbo Kush that was back crossed to original parents and got to the point of dry and then just tasted a little bit of that I don't know if you have had Kimbo kush amazing taste and smell even before curing stay well cali :)
Screenshot 2015 08 15 17 59 07

R

reema

It depends what kind of light your talking about, if its white or any kind of broad spec light that has UV-a & b wavelengths your precious aromatic terpenoids undergo auto-oxidation which is an irreversible reaction which means you're consequently fucked

M

Mandrew3000

So using normal house lights in a drying room is bad forfor the THC in the plants?

A

ApolloCanna

To prevent mold. Mold needs light. Cut buds have a lot of moisture in them. Perfect breeding ground for mold. Why I dry on screens and cut big buds down. All it takes is once to respect that rule. Lights not going to degrade THC in 3 days.

This is incorrect. Mold does not need light to grow.

KDB42

KDB42

High all! Was just wondering what the deal is with drying for 3 days. Ive read this whole thread and keep seeing about light not degrading THC in 3 days. Im just beginning week 3 of flower on my very first grow and have been refreshing my info on drying. From everything ive read drying should take up to 10 or 12 days before curing but am getting confused about why everyone is referring to 3 days. Is it for the first 3 days maybe? Sorry about resurrecting on old topic.

BurnzYzBudZz

BurnzYzBudZz

HOWCan.i.helPYOU?
Supporter
High all! Was just wondering what the deal is with drying for 3 days. Ive read this whole thread and keep seeing about light not degrading THC in 3 days. Im just beginning week 3 of flower on my very first grow and have been refreshing my info on drying. From everything ive read drying should take up to 10 or 12 days before curing but am getting confused about why everyone is referring to 3 days. Is it for the first 3 days maybe? Sorry about resurrecting on old topic.
They fast dry it so they have smoke. Really degrades everything about the final product. I’ve been drying my current crop for 14days 65-70 degree/50-55 Rh. Some is already in jars, but kept in mostly dark room with ambient light here and there. I won’t dry any other way.

KDB42

KDB42

Thank you for getting back so fast! Yeah I think after all the time and effort I'll take a little more time and try and do it right way. Sorry if this is not the place for this question but since im here. How much air flow during drying is too much. Im going to use my 4X3 grow tent to dry when the time comes and was wondering if i used one or 2 4" desk fans in the exhaust ports for air flow if that would be too much. Maybe 1 sucking air in and one blowing air out? Dunno I just really don't want to mess up at the last minute of a whole grow.

BurnzYzBudZz

BurnzYzBudZz

HOWCan.i.helPYOU?
Supporter
Thank you for getting back so fast! Yeah I think after all the time and effort I'll take a little more time and try and do it right way. Sorry if this is not the place for this question but since im here. How much air flow during drying is too much. Im going to use my 4X3 grow tent to dry when the time comes and was wondering if i used one or 2 4" desk fans in the exhaust ports for air flow if that would be too much. Maybe 1 sucking air in and one blowing air out? Dunno I just really don't want to mess up at the last minute of a whole grow.
I place a small 6” oscillating fan at the bottom of my closet circulating air. Not directly on your plants. That will dry them out fast. I have an ac cooled room which stays 60-70 degrees always with humidity 50/55%. The hotter the temps the faster your plants will dry, not allowing the chlorophyll to exit the plant. That’s what leaves us with the hay/grass smell. Never really allowing us to smell the true terpene profile.

Top Bottom