Why is Water ph rising?

• Thread starter KambleFrost
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
KambleFrost

KambleFrost

My RO water mixed with Aloe Vera flakes went from 6.1 up to 7.0 overnight?
Now I’m worried my ph is off on all my feedings... wtf is going on?

OldManRiver

OldManRiver

WTF are you adding aloe vera to your water, and how do you expect your nute manufacturer to anticipate that as they are designing the buffering? They do the best they can to buffer the pH correctly, but when y'all start emptying the remains of your salad bowl in, well, that's hard for them to plan for. You pay good money for those nutes, suggest you start by following the label on the bottle, and I'll bet it doesn't start with "two tsp (level) of aloe vera flakes". Also, start at a third or half strength first, some plants are more sensitive than others.

The common issue with RO water is no calcium. Read your nute label, see if it lists calcium. If it does, just work with that. If it doesn't augment with cal-mag FROM THE SAME BRAND, again start at half strength. Cal-mag can be made different ways, nutes need to be formulated anticipating that, or the NPK gets locked out. Pick a good brand of nutes, and stay in brand to let them manage that for you.

airedog

airedog

Supporter
Maybe it's H & G nutes and they meant Aqua Flakes?

KambleFrost

KambleFrost

WTF are you adding aloe vera to your water, and how do you expect your nute manufacturer to anticipate that as they are designing the buffering? They do the best they can to buffer the pH correctly, but when y'all start emptying the remains of your salad bowl in, well, that's hard for them to plan for. You pay good money for those nutes, suggest you start by following the label on the bottle, and I'll bet it doesn't start with "two tsp (level) of aloe vera flakes". Also, start at a third or half strength first, some plants are more sensitive than others.

The common issue with RO water is no calcium. Read your nute label, see if it lists calcium. If it does, just work with that. If it doesn't augment with cal-mag FROM THE SAME BRAND, again start at half strength. Cal-mag can be made different ways, nutes need to be formulated anticipating that, or the NPK gets locked out. Pick a good brand of nutes, and stay in brand to let them manage that for you.
First of all I never said anything about adding nutes?
I said just RO water and aloe Vera flakes... they are freshly planted seeds that were germinated a day ago. So I’m aware that the ph isn’t necessary.
my concern is that the RO water is fluctuating in ph over the course of a day or two and with my recent grows I’m curious if that’s been happening and why?

Steveystrappa

Steveystrappa

If I let my extra water sit out I always test it again before using because I noticed the ph always climbs up when I let sit. This is even with regular tap water.

airedog

airedog

Supporter
Is this (or something similar) what you're talking about?

airedog

airedog

Supporter
I said just RO water and aloe Vera flakes... they are freshly planted seeds that were germinated a day ago. So I’m aware that the ph isn’t necessary.
my concern is that the RO water is fluctuating in ph over the course of a day or two and with my recent grows I’m curious if that’s been happening and why?
Ah, but you said;

"Now I’m worried my ph is off on all my feedings..."

If you don't define your problem in terms the community can understand, you won't get a relevant answer.

pop22

pop22

I can't remember clearly but I believe i read that RO water, all water actually, will absorb CO2 from the air, which will affect PH. Guess I need to look this up again but I'm fairly certain it's something along this line.

Farmer88

Farmer88

@OldManRiver is correct. And for further refernece if you are using RO water and letting it sit out the pH will generally rise or fall based on several factors. Natural bicarbonate in the air, ionic activity, water tempreture fluctuations, and evaporation rates of any additives relative to water evaporation. These are the reasons why water fluctuates it's pH. Stop thinking about it so much and just trust the tester tool as long as you are responsible with your calibration maintenance. If not, just guess cause it's basically the same at that point.

Last edited:
growsince79

growsince79

RO water doesn't need to be phed. Because it has no buffers, 1 spec of dust or anything else will drastically chang it. It doesn't matter one bit what the pH is.

Edinburgh

Edinburgh

You may have a build up of food or are overfeeding, flush plant, get a proper ph reading if high take a 16oz cup of water put a small splash of white vinegar in stir and give plant, go slow you can allways repeat, once your ph is straight let it alone till next watering if ph is good start feeding again, a bit of baking soda done the same way will raise ph. Just go nice and easy.

Keepitgrowing247

Keepitgrowing247

My RO water mixed with Aloe Vera flakes went from 6.1 up to 7.0 overnight?
Now I’m worried my ph is off on all my feedings... wtf is going on?
200x Aloe Vera flakes or powder is meant to be used immediately anyways so I wouldn't let it sit.. Just mix up what you're going to use and nothing more. Just my 2 cents

Latest posts

Top Bottom