Why Living In The American Empire Isn't All That It's Cracked Up To Be

• Thread starter ttystikk
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
B

Bluenote

Incoherent screaming for someone's head isn't the way forward- that's just going to get you labelled- with some justification- as a nut from the fringe. I understand your frustration, but cynicism is its own disease. Get involved- the more deeply, the better!

And why would you think I'm " uninvolved" , do I seem to be ill informed as regards what's going on? Why would you equate cynicism with sitting on ones hands?

And folks with " deep involvement" with experience from the first time around just may not trumpet everything about for consumption , reference the shenanigans of the Noxious Nixon era if you don't understand. Then start comparing the Patriot Act etc.etc.

nebulius

nebulius

Syria was what I was referring to. Social media has given a voice to people who once didn't have a voice. I was trying to make the point that in reality we have a lot more power than we think, and if we get involved we can make a difference. I definitely don't think a revolution is the way to do it, I never suggested that, just stating that I could see this possibly happening again one day.

B

Bluenote

Syria was what I was referring to. Social media has given a voice to people who once didn't have a voice. I was trying to make the point that in reality we have a lot more power than we think, and if we get involved we can make a difference. I definitely don't think a revolution is the way to do it, I never suggested that, just stating that I could see this possibly happening again one day.

Why? It's happening in Syria isn't it? Among myriad other locales.

And that " power" is held at the behest of those who control the avenues of communication.

nebulius

nebulius

Ttystikk, I totally agree with your points on term limits, lobbyists and special interest groups.
Sorry to hear you have experienced a revolution, which one are you referring to if you don't mind me asking? El Salvador? I have a relative that is from El Salvador that witnessed the civil war there. Destruction and death, what a said state of affairs.

nebulius

nebulius

Why? It's happening in Syria isn't it? Among myriad other locales.

And that " power" is held at the behest of those who control the avenues of communication.
They're working in a totally different political environment than we are here, so you can't really compare.
Which avenues of communication are you talking about? Television and radio are tainted but I was talking about Twitter and other social media which isn't censored, only blocked in certain countries like China.

B

Bluenote

They're working in a totally different political environment than we are here, so you can't really compare.
Which avenues of communication are you talking about? Television and radio are tainted but I was talking about Twitter and other social media which isn't censored, only blocked in certain countries like China.

The 'net of course , in todays world the 'Net goes down best learn how to use a HAM radio , an older one.

Knowledge is power , communication is key to dissemination of knowledge. Extrapolate from there.

B

Bluenote

Regarding holding congressmen to account; agreed, without reservation. We the people also need to make it much more difficult for people to make a career of politics, in part by imposing term limits and in part by making it a more level playing field between incumbents and challengers.

Regarding lobbyists and special interest groups; I think no one who doesn't breathe should be allowed to give one thin dime to influence politics, on pain of a long prison term. Those who DO breathe should have a maximum limit of $100 to spend on any single candidate, to keep such influence within easy reach of everyone.

Regarding gov't fearing the people; may I direct your attention to Syria, where the government is indeed terrified of its people- doesn't look like a solution I want any part of, especially when what we seek- social justice- can be so easily sought by working within the system.

I have seen revolution up close and personal; I think that we need to work a lot harder at making gov't and its representatives work a lot harder, smarter and better for us, rather than attempting to overthrow them by force of arms. That is a far better option than open revolt. Besides, the last time the bankers took over the gov't was right before the crash of '29 and the Great Depression and do you know what? We managed to wrest it back from them. Surely we can do it again without resorting to violence?

One would hope the above is what transpires , that said it may well be later than we think and we'd do well to be prepared.

ttystikk

ttystikk

Ttystikk, I totally agree with your points on term limits, lobbyists and special interest groups.
Sorry to hear you have experienced a revolution, which one are you referring to if you don't mind me asking? El Salvador? I have a relative that is from El Salvador that witnessed the civil war there. Destruction and death, what a said state of affairs.

Vietnam. I was there in '71 and while I was only five at the time, the memories of bodies lined up in the street and the smell of napalm and burnt flesh aren't things that ever go away. I can already hear a lot of people saying that wasn't a revolution. Sure it was, and the usual outside interests were at play in a more obvious way than is always the case- but be assured, there are always outside interests, meddling in the affairs of revolution for their own gain.

And beware of revolution, for that matter- the Egyptian people just discovered they'd revolted against one despot, only to watch another- the military- take his place. Too often, that's the outcome of revolution... and there is no reason to expect any different from one that happens here.

ttystikk

ttystikk

And why would you think I'm " uninvolved" , do I seem to be ill informed as regards what's going on? Why would you equate cynicism with sitting on ones hands?

And folks with " deep involvement" with experience from the first time around just may not trumpet everything about for consumption , reference the shenanigans of the Noxious Nixon era if you don't understand. Then start comparing the Patriot Act etc.etc.

You got a big chip on your shoulder, bluenote- why do you assume I was speaking to you? At least you're taking a stand and speaking out! I may not agree with your strident tone, but I haven't heard much else from you I really disagree with.

nebulius

nebulius

Vietnam. I was there in '71 and while I was only five at the time, the memories of bodies lined up in the street and the smell of napalm and burnt flesh aren't things that ever go away.
Vietnam, what a violent mess that was, but I guess you could say that about all wars. That's one thing I feel I am very lucky to have not had to experience in America...that is war in my own country.
One of my relatives is a teacher in an economically challenged area. In the 80's and 90's the largest ethnic minority group in his classes were Asian Americans (Vietnamese and Hmong and Cambodian mostly). Now he said the largest ethnic minority is Hispanic or Caucasian. I asked him why this was and he said his Asian students were exceptionally motivated to get a higher education and that most went on to college and got good jobs and moved out of these economically troubled areas. I was quite impressed, truly living the American Dream.
Not sure if you're Vietnamese Ttystikk but came across this in Wikipedia. Might explain your interest in Politics.
Vietnamese Americans, being political refugees, view their stay in the United States as permanent and became involved in the political process in higher rates than other groups.

ttystikk

ttystikk

I'm so white I'm first cousins with Casper the Ghost! And I can't jump, either...

Agreed 100% about wiki's assessment of the integration of Southeast Asian immigrants. It helps to have seen hell up close and personal to work hard to get to heaven.

Latest posts

Top Bottom