Why The Hate For Cheap Leds?

• Thread starter OldManRiver
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

The hate on cheap LED's or cheap electronics in general is warranted.

Many growers are upgrading their cheap led lamps in the first year or even the first Grow from failures.

If you buy a lamp to be maintenance free and avoid bulb replacements none of parts should burn out or fail.

I would want the better components and engineering.

I am still holding out for led advancements. I think they are not quite there yet. And the cost up front is still ridiculous for any quality.

Just my opinion

Monster762

Monster762

My opinion ,and I have a cheap led and 2 cheap t5 setups. I really think the bigger name leds are just that. A bigger name. Therefor a bigger price. Deep research will even prove that they are manufactured by the same Chinese company's the 100-300$ leds are they slap a name tag on it and a $1000 price tag to go with it. I'm new to this indoor stuff but it is that way with everything now. Not just grow lights. China makes most of it. Others label and sell it. And make thier markup on it. I personally have not seen a side by side proving any million dollar led actually produces better than an equally powered cheap one. I may be wrong but I think it is a sales pitch. And as far as lifespan. I also see no proof that a $1000 led last longer than 5 $200 leds. They all die eventually. And randomly.

Can anyone show an expensive leds work. Same time veg n bloom same strain? if they are better or worse why is there no proof? Like the dummy's at the medical grow warehouse.

My whole room setup is less than $500. That's all the lights. Fans lumber n equipment to build the room. Everything. That's just my opinion. At $500 I can replace the entire room every grow and still save ridiculous money over street prices for lower quality bud. And get the added enjoyment of knowing I did this. It's my smoke that I cared for. That $500 won't get what 1 plant will produce.

EventHorizan

EventHorizan

well if expensive leds are hype, then maybe all leds are hype?
Maybe there is a reason commercial grows still use De hps lighting ......
But there is a difference in efficiency between them..
5 watt led, 3 watt led run at 40% or 75% 0r 100%...
There is some differences
not to mention quality of material,
quality of build,
customer service...

fatawa

fatawa

really think the bigger name leds are just that. A bigger name. Therefor a bigger price. Deep research will even prove that they are manufactured by the same Chinese company's the 100-300$ leds are they slap a name tag on it and a $1000 price tag to go with it.
i only use hid lights but with that being said there r some guys localy using cheap leds,and i got a buddy rocking "diamond series led"and i hav to say the cheap ones are not the same n my opinion.and diamond series r pretty close to being able to say there comparable or equal to hid.they run cooler then cheap ones so componets hav to b better.i wud still only rock hid/cobs tho.they r on the front lines currently(imo of course)

Polar510

Polar510

BD has a uv light which they claim increases the resin production and has a little more blue spectrum then the mars.
I will say the BD was slightly better quality but lower yield.
That being said whatever marginal increase I did see was not worth the price of the light. Also noted the BD foot prints are exaggerated, that light shoots damn near strait down with a terrible spread. These are My opinions after multiple runs with both lights.
Also Customer service unless your spending a shit load of money is null and void.

fatawa

fatawa

BD has a uv light which they claim increases the resin production and has a little more blue spectrum then the mars.
I will say the BD was slightly better quality but lower yield.
That being said whatever marginal increase I did see was not worth the price of the light. Also noted the BD foot prints are exaggerated, that light shoots damn near strait down with a terrible spread. These are My opinions after multiple runs with both lights.
Also Customer service unless your spending a shit load of money is null and void.
everything they claim is exaggerated n my opinion.from spectrum,footprint,output,watts used...wen u hav to fluff up every aspect wen selling anything its silly.

Polar510

Polar510

I actually called BD out on there claims after My Comparisons. I flat out told them mars yielded higher and that there foot print claims were off.
They said they would get back to Me, still waiting.......that was last summer.

CallmeTex

CallmeTex

The hate on cheap LED's or cheap electronics in general is warranted.

Many growers are upgrading their cheap led lamps in the first year or even the first Grow from failures.

If you buy a lamp to be maintenance free and avoid bulb replacements none of parts should burn out or fail.

I would want the better components and engineering.

I am still holding out for led advancements. I think they are not quite there yet. And the cost up front is still ridiculous for any quality.

Just my opinion

Led tech is totally rocking right now, with cobs and quantum boards there is no better lighting currently. Like you say though they are expensive. About 2 times more expensive than factory built HIDs, and you have to put them together. But after you factor in all the extra bud you can grow and the savings in electric nothing comes close. I know from experience, and I'm late to the party.

Polar510

Polar510

The one LED that I keep hearing good things about is the Duolux 600. But it seems like the most noise is coming from Sponsored grows@$1000 a light;)

fatawa

fatawa

The one LED that I keep hearing good things about is the Duolux 600. But it seems like the most noise is coming from Sponsored grows@$1000 a light;)
ouch....lol. A tex,i got a question for u.i was thinking cob soon cause im moving.n i rock 8k n flower rm,2600 n veg.i was told roughly $1300 to build a cob comparible to 1×1000hps(this is with all good components).this sound accurate?

fatawa

fatawa

Im n a unique situation right now n all i pay is $45/month on electric....lmfao.lol.but ive had almost same setup where i had to truly buy electric n 1×1000w was $17/month...can u speak on how much u pay a month just on a cob? @CallmeTex

PhatNuggz

PhatNuggz

My opinion ,and I have a cheap led and 2 cheap t5 setups. I really think the bigger name leds are just that. A bigger name. Therefor a bigger price. Deep research will even prove that they are manufactured by the same Chinese company's the 100-300$ leds are they slap a name tag on it and a $1000 price tag to go with it. I'm new to this indoor stuff but it is that way with everything now. Not just grow lights. China makes most of it. Others label and sell it. And make thier markup on it. I personally have not seen a side by side proving any million dollar led actually produces better than an equally powered cheap one. I may be wrong but I think it is a sales pitch. And as far as lifespan. I also see no proof that a $1000 led last longer than 5 $200 leds. They all die eventually. And randomly.

Can anyone show an expensive leds work. Same time veg n bloom same strain? if they are better or worse why is there no proof? Like the dummy's at the medical grow warehouse.

My whole room setup is less than $500. That's all the lights. Fans lumber n equipment to build the room. Everything. That's just my opinion. At $500 I can replace the entire room every grow and still save ridiculous money over street prices for lower quality bud. And get the added enjoyment of knowing I did this. It's my smoke that I cared for. That $500 won't get what 1 plant will produce.

There is so much wrong with your logic, I don't where to begin. Let me start with this analogy to qualify to be called a US product an automobile only needs to consist of ~ 29% US made products . Now,

When it comes to LEDs within any given led diode or CoB, there could be 4-5 Bins. Not a big deal, unless you're growing medicine. As always, the higher the performance/tolerances, the higher the price. Every integral part of a led panel, from the drivers to the heat sinks to the cooling fans (even the housings/wires/switches) are available in lowest quality to highest quality

Expecting a 600w multi band for $160 and free shipping @ < $0.50/watt to grow medicine? There's a bridge in Brooklyn I want to sell you cheap

check out my Hail Hydro thread to learn about quality leds

Polar510

Polar510

ouch....lol. A tex,i got a question for u.i was thinking cob soon cause im moving.n i rock 8k n flower rm,2600 n veg.i was told roughly $1300 to build a cob comparible to 1×1000hps(this is with all good components).this sound accurate?
I couldn't tell You its an area that I have not looked into yet.
But for $1300 might be better to buy it from a Manufacturer with a warranty IMO..

Monster762

Monster762

There is so much wrong with your logic, I don't where to begin. Let me start with this analogy to qualify to be called a US product an automobile only needs to consist of ~ 29% US made products . Now,

When it comes to LEDs within any given led diode or CoB, there could be 4-5 Bins. Not a big deal, unless you're growing medicine. As always, the higher the performance/tolerances, the higher the price. Every integral part of a led panel, from the drivers to the heat sinks to the cooling fans (even the housings/wires/switches) are available in lowest quality to highest quality

Expecting a 600w multi band for $160 and free shipping @ < $0.50/watt to grow medicine? There's a bridge in Brooklyn I want to sell you cheap

check out my Hail Hydro thread to learn about quality leds
Ok I'm going to check it out. I'm learning myself. And I'm not always right. Maybe this thread will prove me wrong but honestly I doubt it.

Monster762

Monster762

Ok I'm going to check it out. I'm learning myself. And I'm not always right. Maybe this thread will prove me wrong but honestly I doubt it.
I checked the 2.0 version and no backing there. I'm checking the original. Still don't see actual timeframes listed or a side by side of any production. I'll keep reading. I do however like some of what I see but nothing is at all proving me wrong there.

fatawa

fatawa

I couldn't tell You its an area that I have not looked into yet.
But for $1300 might be better to buy it from a Manufacturer with a warranty IMO..
sixstring is running them.thats who told me price.i kno he does well with them.he said he had my back wen i pull that trigger.stay tuned cuz he wantd me to make a thread that way he can answer everybodies questions at once u kno.ha.i shud say too thats with the better components so i wud assume u can go cheaper,but then u get wat u pay for...

Latest posts

Top Bottom