Why The Hate For Cheap Leds?

• Thread starter OldManRiver
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
MW7945

MW7945

Yeah I agree some things there is quality differences but some you just pay more for the same thing. Without a company flat proving their components aren't the same Chinese stuff I believe they are. Made in USA doesn't mean it's not made on the border of Mexico with Chinese parts.

I completely agree. even if you look at chinese producers and type in CXB3590 you'll see multiple units using chips that are clearly NOT Cree's. This is why it all comes down to transparency and trust. If a company is willing to show their PAR values, and prove they use Meanwell/brand name chips I'm going to go with them over a cheaper light that looks a little iffy. Most lights are made in china regardless. And I think the whole assumption that Made In China is a bad thing is getting old. Just because it's made there doesn't mean quality parts can't be used.

EventHorizan

EventHorizan

Speaking in particular to the light you posted, and the viparspectra's I have, they have too much blue light to be honest. They're great for veg, but yields will suffer because of this.
I dont like to toot my own pooter,
but I think That was what I kinda said!
Thank you brother,
as your not just passing hearsay,
but your opinion of you using them..
Which to me is a hell of a lot more believable than big corporation marketing!

h4ppyf4rmer

h4ppyf4rmer

That is indeed the point. The reviews on Amazon for some of these lights are overwhelmingly positive. There are some, but few, reviews complaining about reliability. The lights I got have a three year warranty, and customer comments are positive about customer service. I'll put up with the chinglish product details to take the risk.

What I have taken away from my research is that COB's are indeed better than panels, at a significantly increased cost. It seems that for PPFD/$, its about a wash. I see no evidence that spendy panels are better than the panel I got, after correction for wall power. I have developed a lust for this: , but it's like lusting after a ferrari; sexy, but not practical

I have experience with this cheap panel, only for veg. For veg, the 300 watt panel was perfectly adequate. I will look forward to seeing how the bigger one does.

That's what I did with my first LED fixture, I use it for vegging, works perfect.

Monster762

Monster762

Speaking in particular to the light you posted, and the viparspectra's I have, they have too much blue light to be honest. They're great for veg, but yields will suffer because of this.
My light actually specs about 5x the
Where is your thread so i can move our post to it since we got off topic on op... Sorry OP!
My original thread was "very weird issue need help please or any input ". It is in the introduce yourself

EventHorizan

EventHorizan

I completely agree. even if you look at chinese producers and type in CXB3590 you'll see multiple units using chips that are clearly NOT Cree's. This is why it all comes down to transparency and trust. If a company is willing to show their PAR values, and prove they use Meanwell/brand name chips I'm going to go with them over a cheaper light that looks a little iffy. Most lights are made in china regardless. And I think the whole assumption that Made In China is a bad thing is getting old. Just because it's made there doesn't mean quality parts can't be used.
But all electronics dont come from China,
we Americans just look at all products made by the other side of the world as far as Chinese, Japanese, Hong Kong, Taiwan, S Korean, Malaysian as Chinese products.

But there is a huge difference in products from Japan and China...
That is a misconception that a lot of ppl have.
China grows big yielding low Quality bud, compared to the high quality content enjoyed by Americans....

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
Very interesting title for the thread. :)

Great cannabis can be grown with cheap leds, cfl, mh, hps etc. All the more dependent on genetics, soil or grow system/style. But at the end of the day as far as yield goes hid is still king of the hill, but leds are fast nipping hid at the buds, (no pun)

I see a day when everyone will be using leds as it would be a no brainer not to use em. When the ppfd and par and yield get there it would be ignorant not to use em. They run cooler and cheaper and when leds start generating the yields hid does, everyone will jump on board.

After watching my bros grow under the fluence spyderXplus and yes it is a pricey unit, but he is slaying it with this setup in a 6 x 6 tent. you arent going to get these specs from amazon or the chinese for sure.
PPF: 1410 µmol/s
PPFD: (μmol/m2/s): 909 avg | 1022 max | 664 min

I will post his harvest yields and strains in a few weeks harvest is close and should have some dried weights. My next purchase will be this light. I am hoping it comes down another 3-4 a pop tho............. Hard to spend that kind of cash when I got perfectly good digital ballasts and lamps already paid for :D

Last edited:
EventHorizan

EventHorizan

Very interesting title for the thread. :)

Great cannabis can be grown with cheap leds, cfl, mh, hps etc. All the more dependent on genetics, soil or grow system/style. But at the end of the day as far as yield goes hid is still kin of the hill, but leds are fast nipping hid at the buds, (no pun)
they are getting there, but it just cost to damn much to change out...
I mean if I could chhose free of charge,
hook me up with the best spyder lights they got!
That is my choice for lights if I dont have to pay for them, and I still might get one of them!

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
they are getting there, but it just cost to damn much to change out...
I mean if I could chhose free of charge,
hook me up with the best spyder lights they got!
That is my choice for lights if I dont have to pay for them, and I still might get one of them!
I understand. When my shit burns up I will pull the trigger on the fluence light. Whats not to like about them numbers. :)

MW7945

MW7945

There's some lights on Amazon worth it, but for the most part expensive lights stay away from there it seems? I know Platinum LED sells quite a bit on there, but I honestly haven't seen much feedback on them. I've seen exact replicas from china (same par/lights/drivers) pricing and platinum must be making a killing.

I think there will always be a place for cheaper LED's, but as CXB3590, Ver029's, and Citizens adapt and get better I see cobs eventually being the "norm". I can see why it's difficult for someone to drop $1000-ish on a light, but it'll pay for it self quite easily over it's lifespan.

gwheels

gwheels

I have only used LED lights. I have a reflector 48 (mars 100 watt) that came in a growbox i bough. I now use it to veg plants. I have a 550 watt MCOB and a 315 CMH. I don't have a hate on for cheap lights exactly but I want to ensure the tent grows the best it can. The lights were not cheap but I think they will be trucking a long time. I am a big fan of not disposable. Green is good for the earth and my weed. But I will say if all you can afford is a vivraspec or whatever is cheap you are still way ahead of paying someone. And it is just about the greatest hobby ever !!!

If I were doing it again I would go 315 CMH or Timber frame kit to make life easy.

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
There's some lights on Amazon worth it, but for the most part expensive lights stay away from there it seems? I know Platinum LED sells quite a bit on there, but I honestly haven't seen much feedback on them. I've seen exact replicas from china (same par/lights/drivers) pricing and platinum must be making a killing.

I think there will always be a place for cheaper LED's, but as CXB3590, Ver029's, and Citizens adapt and get better I see cobs eventually being the "norm". I can see why it's difficult for someone to drop $1000-ish on a light, but it'll pay for it self quite easily over it's lifespan.
Exactly correct. the investment will pay back in spades.

If you go cheap you should keep track of the service life of your unit and if going cheap or top of the line keep it and use it until it gives up the ghost and then post how many hours of service you truly got. This way if we arent truly getting the 30,000-50,000 service hrs they tout we can get the word out.

Thermal management right now and is admitted even within the industry itself is concerned with the challenges of managing the thermal output and getting the longevity they all advertise. See this link for more info on this very real hurdle in led tech.

Here

and here

With that said cheap = bottom of the barrel parts and customer service. Always has always will. Ya get what you pay for

And at the end of the day/or harvest lighting is all about the ppfd Give me mucho mols :cool:

OldManRiver

OldManRiver

I have only used LED lights. I have a reflector 48 (mars 100 watt) that came in a growbox i bough. I now use it to veg plants. I have a 550 watt MCOB and a 315 CMH. I don't have a hate on for cheap lights exactly but I want to ensure the tent grows the best it can. The lights were not cheap but I think they will be trucking a long time. I am a big fan of not disposable. Green is good for the earth and my weed. But I will say if all you can afford is a vivraspec or whatever is cheap you are still way ahead of paying someone. And it is just about the greatest hobby ever !!!

If I were doing it again I would go 315 CMH or Timber frame kit to make life easy.
I'd love a Timber frame kit, but I don't want to spend the money. Maybe bonus time next spring. I'm in a unique position from most of you. I grow enough outside to last for the year, I only grow for personal use, I love to grow, and I want a mini grow. All the calculations say that this light setup should work fine for my needs, and the amazon reviews are pretty supportive. I fully understand why commercial and semi commercial growers might want more PPFD. I thank everyone for their input, I have new perspective on the subject.

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
EventHorizan

EventHorizan

Ive seen some positive feedback on this unit. Not sure on the heat output. Would also be nice to see journals and logs of guyz using it to see how long they really hold up.
Well today is your lucky day!
We just see for ourselves...
If I like it and keep it,
I think He might let me test drive 2 cmh's down the road :)
We are going thru are lil trust thing now lol...
He is from Cali...
He flys back and forth quite often...
But he doesnt have really much for hydro...
Flood tables..

20170801 181635
20170801 181644
20170801 181649
20170801 181655
20170801 181659
20170801 181711
fatawa

fatawa

I took a $10 air pump, a $2 air stone and a old tote and made a dwc cloner out of. Works great for me, but i have ph/ec meter for that... There is a lot of little thing one has to aquire to be successful, and brother it takes time,,,
I lived off of chips and soups for 6 months,
now I eat a little better...
Not everybody can go into survival cheap living mode to accomplish something greater.
preach.....sounds like u wrote a book bout me here.lol

Top Bottom