Why The Hate For Cheap Leds?

• Thread starter OldManRiver
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
OldManRiver

OldManRiver

what this thread seems to be about is the actual comparison. The lack of proof to validate the extra money involved for " better panels ".

That is indeed the point. The reviews on Amazon for some of these lights are overwhelmingly positive. There are some, but few, reviews complaining about reliability. The lights I got have a three year warranty, and customer comments are positive about customer service. I'll put up with the chinglish product details to take the risk.

What I have taken away from my research is that COB's are indeed better than panels, at a significantly increased cost. It seems that for PPFD/$, its about a wash. I see no evidence that spendy panels are better than the panel I got, after correction for wall power. I have developed a lust for this: , but it's like lusting after a ferrari; sexy, but not practical

I have experience with this cheap panel, only for veg. For veg, the 300 watt panel was perfectly adequate. I will look forward to seeing how the bigger one does.

EventHorizan

EventHorizan

When using expensive vrs cheap leds, in veg it prob will be closer in comparison.
I believe that the difference will be in flower.
I think the cheaper leds will not be able to
a. Produce the quantity of grade A bud
b. Produce the quality of bud.
c. Will not produce the turpentine production to the extent of the better ones.

I believe that you will face a conundrum of getting the light close enough for good penetration, and canopy coverage, and keeping it far enough away that your leaf/bud temps week 6,7,8,9 dont get so warm that they cause fox tailing, stretchy, airy, buds..

If its to hot it can actually degrade and kill tricomes,
will effect smell, taste,
and can cause toxicities that will exacerbate those issues..

Some of you only have to please yourself,
and some of us have to please patients,
and compete with the organized crime family,
Big Pharma...

OldManRiver

OldManRiver

When using expensive vrs cheap leds, in veg it prob will be closer in comparison.
I believe that the difference will be in flower.
I think the cheaper leds will not be able to
a. Produce the quantity of grade A bud
b. Produce the quality of bud.
c. Will not produce the turpentine production to the extent of the better ones.

<snip>

Some of you only have to please yourself,
and some of us have to please patients,
and compete with the organized crime family,
Big Pharma...

Well put. I don't have to compete with or please anyone but myself (and my wife, lol), and I'm due to harvest plenty of good outside weed this fall. This is an experiment for me; I want to know. Watch the diary... https://www.thcfarmer.com/community/threads/indoor-mini-grow-top-fed-dwc.90641/

Monster762

Monster762

That is indeed the point. The reviews on Amazon for some of these lights are overwhelmingly positive. There are some, but few, reviews complaining about reliability. The lights I got have a three year warranty, and customer comments are positive about customer service. I'll put up with the chinglish product details to take the risk.

What I have taken away from my research is that COB's are indeed better than panels, at a significantly increased cost. It seems that for PPFD/$, its about a wash. I see no evidence that spendy panels are better than the panel I got, after correction for wall power. I have developed a lust for this: , but it's like lusting after a ferrari; sexy, but not practical

I have experience with this cheap panel, only for veg. For veg, the 300 watt panel was perfectly adequate. I will look forward to seeing how the bigger one does.
Time will tell I'm on day 10 flower. All are clearly female. I don't need to sell and have no friends to impress either. I'm pretty confident in my setup. And first grow indoors. My goal was to not pay $300+ an oz for half dried bud. Stuff on streets isn't even dried right because they rely on the wet weight. ill definately post updates as things finish up. 10 wk flower time on green crack. So it'll be a ride.

OldManRiver

OldManRiver

Time will tell I'm on day 10 flower. All are clearly female. I don't need to sell and have no friends to impress either. I'm pretty confident in my setup. And first grow indoors. My goal was to not pay $300+ an oz for half dried bud. Stuff on streets isn't even dried right because they rely on the wet weight. ill definately post updates as things finish up. 10 wk flower time on green crack. So it'll be a ride.
Be intersted to ee the pics. That's next up for me.

EventHorizan

EventHorizan

These were day 8 in a 4x4. The leaf is just one plant that 80% of the leaves are the same. 11 blades layered just lil different. View attachment 725898View attachment 725899
Your plants have good color, nice structure..
Would be a good yielder under a de...
If I remember u have cheaper led???
IMO i would of supercropped to even your canopy so you get nore grade a bud...
The way u have it now, u are gonna end up with some larf...
Those plants are nice and if they were mine i beat their ass into giving me more candy!

Monster762

Monster762

Your plants have good color, nice structure..
Would be a good yielder under a de...
If I remember u have cheaper led???
IMO i would of supercropped to even your canopy so you get nore grade a bud...
The way u have it now, u are gonna end up with some larf...
Those plants are nice and if they were mine i beat their ass into giving me more candy!
Yeah I had big issues in beginning. I had a 4-5 week stall and they almost died. Bug infestation. But bounced back after I killed bugs. I never topped them at all. Because of the prior stress. Now I think it's too late to. I'd like to try n clone the big one in the back. But not sure about it. Again due to the stress they went through.

Monster762

Monster762

Yeah I had big issues in beginning. I had a 4-5 week stall and they almost died. Bug infestation. But bounced back after I killed bugs. I never topped them at all. Because of the prior stress. Now I think it's too late to. I'd like to try n clone the big one in the back. But not sure about it. Again due to the stress they went through.
Maybe I'll try to tie the taller branches sideways. I used to do that outdoors with good results.

EventHorizan

EventHorizan

Take 3 cutting, there is plenty there!
Just put 1 in glass of water and keep water in it and rooted end submerged..

Monster762

Monster762

Take 3 cutting, there is plenty there!
Just put 1 in glass of water and keep water in it and rooted end submerged..
Would it be ok to cut in a day or so? I should get root butter or some kind cloning powder to do it right shouldn't I ? And I'm confused on where to take cutting from. Not the main branch but not a lower is what I'm reading. Let me know.

EventHorizan

EventHorizan

Would it be ok to cut in a day or so? I should get root butter or some kind cloning powder to do it right shouldn't I ? And I'm confused on where to take cutting from. Not the main branch but not a lower is what I'm reading. Let me know.
these are good questions! I will be more than happy to walk you through it!
Yes we can take tomm, but you are about 8 days into flower right?

MW7945

MW7945

I'm late to the party but this is how I see it. I went with Viparspectra for my first grow. They seem to do well under the light and it appears I'll get a decent yield. That being said, I wish I would've done more research and just spent the money on a light using CXB3590's. A lot of these companies just dump as many red/blue lights as they can with iffy-quality led's.

As sort of mentioned, for the average joe using a closet grow, these will suffice. But leave some desire for better performance. After looking into pricing of LED lights it really makes my weary seeing a "600w" light for something around $160. They either have extremely low profit margins on these lights, or the quality of led's/drivers is about as low as it gets.

Essentially this comes down to basically anything and everything you buy in life. You get what you pay for.

Monster762

Monster762

I'm late to the party but this is how I see it. I went with Viparspectra for my first grow. They seem to do well under the light and it appears I'll get a decent yield. That being said, I wish I would've done more research and just spent the money on a light using CXB3590's. A lot of these companies just dump as many red/blue lights as they can with iffy-quality led's.

As sort of mentioned, for the average joe using a closet grow, these will suffice. But leave some desire for better performance. After looking into pricing of LED lights it really makes my weary seeing a "600w" light for something around $160. They either have extremely low profit margins on these lights, or the quality of led's/drivers is about as low as it gets.

Essentially this comes down to basically anything and everything you buy in life. You get what you pay for.
Yeah I agree some things there is quality differences but some you just pay more for the same thing. Without a company flat proving their components aren't the same Chinese stuff I believe they are. Made in USA doesn't mean it's not made on the border of Mexico with Chinese parts.

EventHorizan

EventHorizan

these are good questions! I will be more than happy to walk you through it!
Yes we can take tomm, but you are about 8 days into flower right?
Also I use a knife I got from the hydro store. It looks like a lil hobby knife we used to cut car model parts out of the incasing. A carpet knife or just a razor blade is fine, and a sharp pair of scissors, and some rooting gel and I recommend rapid rooters. I know $40 worth of shit.. if you got fox farm soil you could try to root into that, or coco.
I would get a lil more advice before i tried that way.
You can also bare root clone by sticking it in water,
I took a $10 air pump, a $2 air stone and a old tote and made a dwc cloner out of. Works great for me, but i have ph/ec meter for that... There is a lot of little thing one has to aquire to be successful, and brother it takes time,,,
I lived off of chips and soups for 6 months,
now I eat a little better...
Not everybody can go into survival cheap living mode to accomplish something greater..
When I look at truly successful ppl, it was the ones that had patience for wants,
and determinations for needs...
A goal and stuck to it...

So maybe your best move is to try a few diff things and get your dinky wet for lack of better terms..
Got any honey?
Might have read honey can work for cloning???
Anyway you cut a interior low branch with about 3 inches of stem, clip off any big fans, trim the smaller fans half way, cut the bottom end of the stem at a 45 degree angle,
take back of knife and make slices an inch long from bottom up,
dip in rooting gel for 15 secs getting about an inch of it,
and place into rooting median...

Median can be rooters, rockwool, soil, coco, hydroton, bare root water,aero,etc..

Maybe someone might have some pics, I just took mine last night and I dont got pics of me doing it,, sorry im tiered as hell just trying to get it done, with out trying to take pics of each stage but maybe one day I will for the new guys.. Im sure there is some good write ups on that search bar!

Top Bottom