Why We Need Mycorrhizal Fungi

• Thread starter spl
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
S

spl

If you are an organic grower and you have not been using Mycorrhizal Fungi, you have been missing out on one of the greatest symbiotic relationships on the plant.

460 million years ago plants only lived in water, the land mass was bare not having any vegetative growth on it. Plants at that time did not have a root system capable of living on the land. Now around this time a new living organism was born and this organism found a way to survive in this harsh landscape. It found a home in the root system and filled the void that the plants had with fungi filaments. This symbiotic relationship is what gave plants the ability to grow on land.

How did this fungi do this you ask? By fungi created a filament that used to harvest nutrients to keep the plants alive.
You can have all the organic matter in the world mixed into your soil but with out the right amount of Mycorrhizal fungi to break it down with some speed, you just have dirt. The Mycorrhizal filaments are what access unavailable pools of nutrients that are locked in the soil, they break it down and store them fro when the plant needs it.

Dr. Jim Trappe was at the front of this this study and traveled the world studying why plants could live with out the ad of nutrients and resist pathogens with out the ad of man. In his studies he found that Mycorrhizal fungi attaches to the root system of 95% of all plants on earth. Then the fungi filament increase the ability to intake nutrients by as much as 1000% over not being inoculated alone. You can take a thimble and fill it with living soil and look at it under a microscope and find miles of fungi filaments.

Some of the function of Mycorrhizal fungi is to save water and nutrients that the plant may need in case of a drought. Mycorrhizal fungi does this by secreting enzymes into the soil to break down nutrients to a usable salt Ion.
When this is done it also leave behind air pockets that the plant loves, and in return the plants feeds the Mycorrhizal fungi for the work it does.

A few more added benefit are Mycorrhizal fungi will attack pathogens that come around the root system. Some will kill off the pathogens why other will produce antibiotics to help just in case the pathogens do infect some parts of the root system. Also you can reduce the amount of nutrients you feed the plants by as much as a 1/3rd.
Mycorrhizal does get lazy if to much Phosphorus is used, they really like to go out and find Phosphorus and bring it back to the plant.

If you are using hydroponics or coco coir Mycorrhizal works well with systems also. i use a new natural sponge in my reservoirs to give a place to breed along with the beneficial Bactria. If you have coco coir they will do well in the fiber.

Happy growing and I hope this helped with any questions about Mycorrhizal fungi.

SPL1

L

Lost

Mike - please stop posting this shit in every MJ forum you come across..

L

Lost

http://www.invalid.com/organics/355547-why-we-need-mycorrhizal-fungi.html

Should I go on?

squarepusher

squarepusher

i use chlorine bleach, does that help the fungus on my plants?

O

Oregonic

Maybe homie just learned some hot keys, ctrl C/V can be very exciting when you first learn about them......:bong2:

With great power comes great responsibility!

leadsled

leadsled

GrowRU
There indeed is a fungus amoung us and it is SPL..
lol,I was hoping you would have some good graphics to contribute. your graphics always make my day.
Yo-dawg-I-heard-you-like-copy-and-paste-so-I-made-cool-graphic-for-your-thread.jpg

squarepusher said:
i use chlorine bleach, does that help the fungus on my plants?

hahah, I heard h202 is better for prepping your fungi mix.

S

spl

Who is mike?

Mike - please stop posting this shit in every MJ forum you come across..

I don't know any one by the of mike on this thread, if you have a problem with him take it up with him on his threads not mine.

Thanks
Spl1

S

spl

http://www.invalid.com/organics/355547-why-we-need-mycorrhizal-fungi.html

Should I go on?

Please do dumb ass, and Yes that is me in RIU and a few other forums.

Don't you have some ones sack to be hanging on some were???

L

Lost

Cut and post overload, heheheh!

Ok, how often do you replace your sponge (hahah!) and how often do you feed your mycos and what do you feed them?

Bump
S

spl

Cut and post overload, heheheh!

Ok, how often do you replace your sponge (hahah!) and how often do you feed your mycos and what do you feed them?

I replace my sponge once a year on every res cleaning, I don't feed my mycorrhizal the plant does.

I would have thought with all your years of growing you would know this. After all you obviously know more than I do.

I won't respond to you again.
I will leave you with this:
A good grower is not a grower who acts like they know it all or pretends to know everything, but one who gets into the rhythm of growing the right way for them. It is your grow, your fun, and never forget this when other growers dangle their steroid pumped up buds in front of your face. Growing is about enjoying your time. Remember to grow cannabis without love is to never experience the joy of cannabis cultivation. Some growers with the biggest buds in the world have never grown at all!

HeadGrow

HeadGrow

SPL, don't let everyone bust your balls. I've been curious about Mycorrhizal fungus for a while now. I just started mixing my own "super soil" mix and was thinking of adding the Mycorrhizal fungus next time. My brother is a Mycologist and has all sorts of good examples about how fungus and plants have evolved to help each other. I'm curious to see how much of a difference it makes in a container compared to outside where the fungus can spread large distances to retrieve nutrients. How do you determine the fertilizer concentrations and feeding schedules with the added fungi?

S

spl

SPL, don't let everyone bust your balls. I've been curious about Mycorrhizal fungus for a while now. I just started mixing my own "super soil" mix and was thinking of adding the Mycorrhizal fungus next time. My brother is a Mycologist and has all sorts of good examples about how fungus and plants have evolved to help each other. I'm curious to see how much of a difference it makes in a container compared to outside where the fungus can spread large distances to retrieve nutrients. How do you determine the fertilizer concentrations and feeding schedules with the added fungi?

So far with the use both in dirt and hydro I have been able to cut back my nutrient runs by as much as a 3rd.
In dirt I used to have to water every day indoors with the room heat being 92 avg, but since adding Mycorrhizal I was able get 2 day break in between watering.

As for the 100 plants I have going right now out doors I use a gel type dip before I planted them and then a month into growing I added an OZ of fungi to the feed water to help exploded the roots.

I just used crushed Neem berries mixed in the dirt to start and when they hit bloom I will be using more neem berries and and a 0-0-22 booster. If you feed your plants to much phosphorus the Fungi get lazy. If you keep the phosphorus low it will make the fungi search for it, this means long, large roots.
I hit them hard with P later in the flowering cycle and it works well for me.

Hope this helped out.

Spl1

L

Lost

No doubt if your running either Live soil or live res, mycos a great tool.

I like the trifecta.. Great White, Roots Excel, and Multizen (or hygrozyme, and good zyme. I hear the stuff for septic tanks even works. To this you should add a sugar to feed the enzymes as well as the mycos will break down the sugars and pass them on to the plant.

What is even more beneficial are the tricodermas (thus why I use great white, its mycos and tricoderma)

Tricoderma are actually a symbiotic root parazite. Anything that enters the root zone it taken over by the tricoderma. The only thing it will not fuck with are the roots. Again, make sure you run some sugars to keep your beneies from going anerobic. If they go anerobic, they will eat whatever they have to to survive, roots included..

S

spl

No doubt if your running either Live soil or live res, mycos a great tool.

I like the trifecta.. Great White, Roots Excel, and Multizen (or hygrozyme, and good zyme. I hear the stuff for septic tanks even works. To this you should add a sugar to feed the enzymes as well as the mycos will break down the sugars and pass them on to the plant.

What is even more beneficial are the tricodermas (thus why I use great white, its mycos and tricoderma)

Tricoderma are actually a symbiotic root parazite. Anything that enters the root zone it taken over by the tricoderma. The only thing it will not fuck with are the roots. Again, make sure you run some sugars to keep your beneies from going anerobic. If they go anerobic, they will eat whatever they have to to survive, roots included..

The plant will feed the benies food as they need it, that's why it is called a symbiotic relationship.

If you every want to know the in's and out of Mycorrhizal give the company a call that makes 90% of it in the USA, they even make great white and plant success as well.
I have been to a few of there weekend training seminars in the past at the university of Oregon.

Mycorrhizal Applications Inc. In Grants Pass Oregon

L

Lost

but that does not mean that the organizms will not take advantage of nutrients around them.

I use benies in DWC so these is much less buffer and much less available to your bennies.

It more than just the mycos, its about completing an environment so that there is no room for nasties. Adding tricoderma and enzymes completes the picture. And for those you need small amounts of sugars mor maximum benefit. I think the life cycle of tricoderma is only like 4 weeks..

Top Bottom