Will a sulfur burner fix this strange powder problem?

• Thread starter DazedNconfussed
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
D

DazedNconfussed

Hey guys, so this is my first grow and im not exactly sure whats causeing this white powder problem. I am thinking this is "PM" but not sure. My plants are about 20 days into flower and the powder seems to be spreading. Now from what I have seen "PM" appears on the leaves more like spores. This just looks like white dust and whipes right off. I am nervous cause this is my first grow.

Couple facts:

Grow room is in basement.

Outside temps range from low 30's at night to high 60's during day.

Grow rooms humidity is around 50% when lights on, and goes as high as 70% when lights off.

I have no dehumidifer, and I seriously cant afford one. At least for a few weeks.

My plan of attack is to change my current ventalation and make a DIY sulfur burner. My current ventalation I use my basement as a lung room of sorts, I let fresh air in the basement during the day, then run the ventalation at night while the lights on sucking air in from the basement.

So first off can anyone confirm that what I have is PM? Like i said it looks like white dust or powder....Please see pic below and I appricate any help. Also, I am a DIY kind of guy so if there is a DIY solution available instead of spending money I'm all about it.

Will a sulfur burner fix this strange powder problem
Will a sulfur burner fix this strange powder problem 2
Will a sulfur burner fix this strange powder problem 3
altitudefarmer

altitudefarmer

correct diagnosis, I am sad to report. get that sulphur burner rolling immediately and hope you can contain it in time. You need to chill with the burner 3 weeks before hervest.

altitudefarmer

altitudefarmer

search DIY sulphur burner. there's a great thread

J

Jalisco Kid

go to a thrift store and buy an electric skillet,waffle iron. I usaally get them for my patients for 3-5 bucks.Sulfur $13 for about a qt jar.I can not see your pics but you will need one anyway Suerte Jk

R

revolutionseeds

Premium Member
Supporter
You need to Serenade those plants first....then start burning sulfur every other night for an hour or so (depends on size of grow space). Only burn sulfur during the dark period!

D

DazedNconfussed

Thanks guys so much, do I need to go searching around for any special kind of sulfur or will something like this that I can get from a (homedepot or lowes, ace hardware)work in a DIY sulfur burner?

070624506097lg
C

CAPO

It certainly looks like PM. If it was downy mildew it would appear on the underside of your leaves as well. Hurry up with the electric pan and sulfur pellets as it looks like you're in week two of flower. After about week 5 I wouldn't user sulfur, but switch to powdered Green Cure.
I beat my infection....COMPLETELY...best way was Green Cure and I hooked up a HEPA pre-filter and run my ventilation constantly. My dehumidifier doesn't even kick on set at 45%.

D

DazedNconfussed

I do have a real nice hepa air purifier....does useing a hepa filter air prifier inside the grow room help?

D

DazedNconfussed

Thanks everyone for the help....10 responses in 5 minutes...only on thcfarmer....Ill get the burner gowing tommorrow and buy some greencure as soon as I can...thanks again.....

C

CAPO

yes ...spores are the culprit.. mine were coming from a basement. What you see as white spots are the effects of hyphae imbedded in the leaves, they are trying to reproduce.
In nature this happens when the leaves die then they sit dormant only to be disturbed in the spring to happen all over again.
If you get through this crop.... start over by cleaning EVERYTHING and think about how to create a sterile environment.

D

DazedNconfussed

would it help if I went down and and wiped all the leaves down with a damp wrag tonight? Should I maybe wipe them all down before I start the sulfur treatment.....not going to be easy, these Chemdog #4's have turned into some bushy ladies....but if it will help ill do it....

C

CAPO

You could try and hose them off some, I would also recommend misting the plants at lights out prior to burning sulfur, as this will help the fumes adhere to the plant., but is not necessary.
The spores can't go from one plant to the next if they are wet. At this point though, you are pretty well infected all over.
Chop all the lower canopy off, like lollipopping.
They reproduce in cycles of 48-72 hrs. So treat dilligently till you see no more infections.
Once you get them looking cleared up, have a fresh spray bottle of GreenCure everyday and spot spray any recurrences.

M

mcpuffin

You also might try turning off any oscilating fans to stop those spores from moving around to other plants

C

CAPO

I would stick with the sulfur until you are afraid of it affecting the taste of your buds. Then start in with the Green Cure. The reason these apps work is because they are changing the ph of the leaf surface, which inhibits the growth of the mold. It does not however, kill the spores or hyphae within the leaves. Which is why you gotta keep it up till they(the spores) are spent. The Green Cure will help with the random spore after it is unwise to use the sulfur.

I had a crop that was infected like yours and although I still managed a decent harvest, it wasn't until the next one where I won the war.

C

CAPO

If you wanted to "wash" the mildew off the leaves using a mix of greencure, I guess that would be wise, but If you kept doing that it might effect the usefullness of the sulfur.

So maybe wash then run the sulfur for a good treatment period before "washing" with greencure again.

D

DazedNconfussed

Hey Capo, ill hold off on the green cure for a bit then, what do you think about misting with High PH water (around 8) before running the sulphur burner,....Before my last sulphur treatment I misted with water at about a 5.6 ph.....Just wondering if the higher PH'd misting would help the suphur.....

Top Bottom