Will lights being too close affect yield negatively?

• Thread starter Thriv3
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Thriv3

Thriv3

Hello everybody!!! Right now i seem to have run into a bit of a problem. I have a 1000w HPS in an air cooled hood sitting 9 inches over my canopy and i think it may be the reason the fan leaves are bright green/yellow. I came to this conclusion because the lower leaves are a healthy dark green. Unfortunately I'm set up in a tent so i cant raise my light any higher. My question here isn't really how to correct the issue because there isn't much i can do. I really just want to know how bad its going to affect my yield if at all. The plants look very healthy and happy just not as dark green as I'm used to.

D

Doobie Nyce

Whenever I get my lights too close, my plants form what I call 'anticolas'.... small, stressed out buds on top, and a few inches down huge nuggs that are bigger than the top! Still makes for a fine yield though really... with such fat bottoms and all.

Even if your tips are burnt to a crisp, your yield will be fine, Im sure.

good luck,

PEACE

devious d

devious d

obviously youve put your hand over the leafs concerned and felt how hot it is?:icon_spin: normally a good indication, if its to hot for your hand its to hot for the plant how about an osscilating fan blowing on the light or that bit of the plant, a bit of movement and air flow works wonders if thats your prob good luck:bubblez:.LBH HES HAVING HEIGHT PROBS DOUBT HE CAN RAISE LIGHTS 12" IN A TENT, can bend the plants thats another alternative even if there flowering help with the height:damnhippie:

R

ReadySetGrowD9

Bending is a good idea but can u post up a pic of the color or the plant bc to me it dosent sound like a heat issue it sounds like a Nute prob......

RSGD9

j wizzle

j wizzle

i would start bending too. your colas will be messed up, but you will still put on weight and the buds wont get burned as bad...

R

robbiedublu

Bending is a good idea but can u post up a pic of the color or the plant bc to me it dosent sound like a heat issue it sounds like a Nute prob......

RSGD9

IT totally sounds like he's right to me. If they're too close the leaves and buds start to bleach and turn bright yellow. I would just crimp over the top 8 or so inches of the stems that are too close. Just be careful because it's possible to snap them right off if you have a variety with brittle woody stems.

G

Green Supreme

I have had 1000 watt bulbs 8 inches from my plants with no ill affects, but must admit without proper cooling this would not be possible. Peace GS

devious d

devious d

or if there budded up crimp them gently between thumb and first two fingers so the bud points downwards,the buds end up getting more light, if they havent budded super crop likr kid said

A

AzGrOw-N-sMoKe

generally plants that have lights to close an too hot will cause burnt buds on the parts closest to the bulb while causeing other buds to become foxtaily an airy.... it will negativily affect the yeild greatly... az:character0050:

P

PuFFnNugg

Getting your temp down will help and good ventilation. Laying the tops over actually works really well with Sativa like plants. If you can back your lights off though.

Thriv3

Thriv3

I dont think its my temps I have a consistent 82 degrees and 50% RH. I have a fan specifically placed to displace the heat from the hood lens. I actually burned my plants alil feeding them alil more to make sure it wasn't the nutes. I was gonna post pics today but i got home this morning to a 125 degree tent because my AC went out while i was out last night :( ... its not a pretty sight. What is the latest some one could super crop in flower???

Thriv3

Thriv3

Just to add i'm running Blue dream and vegged them alil too long :) i will top and train next time i run this strain for sure.

B

BongToker

Ya It sounds like I'm actually having the same problem, I've never seen this before but like you i cant move my light any higher because of the tent and have noticed the top buds bleaching out and leaves yellowing out, nutes seems to help the leaves green up a bit but it looks like I'm going to be pulling some bleach white nuggets let me know if you sorted things out at all man

R

rambo6372

generally plants that have lights to close an too hot will cause burnt buds on the parts closest to the bulb while causeing other buds to become foxtaily an airy.... it will negativily affect the yeild greatly... az:character0050:

This is exactly what I have done in the past. I always remember reading to get the lights as close as possible using the hand test but even that doesnt work. There is such a thing called too much light. Even if the heat issue is squared away, keep the light a safe (14-18 inches) distance from the plant. It affects the bud formation. Too close, fluffy - too far, small popcorn buds.

Thriv3

Thriv3

Well i made the best of the high temps almost killing my ladies. After that night of heat they wouldn't stand up straight anymore so i put in some bamboo stakes for support and let them lean a bit so their tops are a couple inches further from the light. Should i expect pigment to return to the leaves and bud or will they stay yellowish???

@bongtoker i'll update the thread all the way to harvest for sure. Should have pics up tmrw just letting the ladies recover alil.

stickyicky

stickyicky

If it's not burning your hand, it's not burning the plant. I've ran w/ 1000's (HPS)6" from the tops w/o trouble. Sounds like nutes.

Are the white hair's close to the lens burnt?

Blue Dream is a notorious stretcher.

Sounds like you need an emergency exhaust fan and light shut-off. Not trying to be safety guy but, even fire marshall bill would agree.

Good Luck

Fire marshall bill
S

SSHZ

This is a common problem with 1000 watt HP's........light bleaching and intense, dry heat causes the tops to yellow- there's no chlorophyll production going on. I (1) stack my shortest plants directly under the lights and the tallest out on the perimeter, (2) stick with shorter strains- forget sativa's, (3) or bend or chop when they get unmanageable.

Thriv3

Thriv3

Alright well now that i have the height issue somewhat addressed I have a nute deficiency LOL!!! The top sugar/fan leaves and buds will probably stay the lime green that i still believe to be from the light but now i have fan leaves yellowing. I posted pics in the infirmary, check it out and let me know what u guys think. Thanks for all the replies!!!

Top Bottom