Window AC and winter

• Thread starter HookedonPonics
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
HookedonPonics

HookedonPonics

What's up guys, running a window AC in my veg space this winter. Wondering if im going to run into problems when temps get below freezing? If so what can I do about it?

lollipopman

lollipopman

Is there any way you can hook up inline fan with ducting to pull cold air in?

ttystikk

ttystikk

The concern about an air conditioner freezing would be funny if it weren't so costly- I believe there has to be a way to duct some cold air into the room- or at least an air to air heat exchanger- which would use the cold air available for free outside to cool your grow.

A super cheap ghetto exchanger could be as simple as using a few lengths of metal fucking to bring the outside air inside, blow room air across the outside of the digging- and then vent the success and now warmed air back outside, or even to the rest of the house if it goes through your hoods afterwards.

HookedonPonics

HookedonPonics

That's what I've always thought about, almost like an air cooled radiator. Have a split with a condenser that is air cooled. I know it's possible. There's just not a market for AC in the winter so I'm sure no one wants to fabricate the model. This room is the only room I have running at my residence and i only use it to house my mothers and cuttings. I could intake from outside but I don't feel like buying more gear and having to keep my humidity/dew point in range to prevent the intake ducts from raining condensation all winter. Anyone know if you can get a winter package for the condenser like you can with mini splits?

T

tngreen

The concern about an air conditioner freezing would be funny if it weren't so costly- I believe there has to be a way to duct some cold air into the room- or at least an air to air heat exchanger- which would use the cold air available for free outside to cool your grow.

A super cheap ghetto exchanger could be as simple as using a few lengths of metal fucking to bring the outside air inside, blow room air across the outside of the digging- and then vent the success and now warmed air back outside, or even to the rest of the house if it goes through your hoods afterwards.

Can you expand on this or point me in the right direction? I need to figure out a better way as temps are dropping here and ac is too inefficient.

ttystikk

ttystikk

Can you expand on this or point me in the right direction? I need to figure out a better way as temps are dropping here and ac is too inefficient.

What- my suggestion about using 'metal fucking' was too vague? THANKS SWYPE! LOL

Use metal DUCTING, lol, to make a loop from outside your window, into your room and maybe around the window- and then back outside through the same window or another one. Obviously, place intake below exhaust, and place a fan at the downstream end to suck air through the ductwork. It may be tempting to place the fan upstream, but don't do it out you'll defeat the whole purpose of the installation. Now, aim fans at that metal ductwork and you'll see the heat exchange process happen very quickly as with any luck your ductwork will start sweating like crazy. Catch that water, it's distilled and fresh and can be reused if it doesn't sit.

Be damned certain to tape all your ductwork seams to eliminate the possibility of odor escaping.

HookedonPonics

HookedonPonics

I got it all figured out. My HVAC buddy is coming by this weekend to put a small heat pump/thermostat on the condenser coils for 50 bucks and some meds. Now it'll be able run down to 20 below no problem. Luckily got a good deal

T

tngreen

What- my suggestion about using 'metal fucking' was too vague? THANKS SWYPE! LOL

Use metal DUCTING, lol, to make a loop from outside your window, into your room and maybe around the window- and then back outside through the same window or another one. Obviously, place intake below exhaust, and place a fan at the downstream end to suck air through the ductwork. It may be tempting to place the fan upstream, but don't do it out you'll defeat the whole purpose of the installation. Now, aim fans at that metal ductwork and you'll see the heat exchange process happen very quickly as with any luck your ductwork will start sweating like crazy. Catch that water, it's distilled and fresh and can be reused if it doesn't sit.

Be damned certain to tape all your ductwork seams to eliminate the possibility of odor escaping.

amazing, wish i knew this last winter ha! what size fan do you suggest? room is about 8x10

ttystikk

ttystikk

amazing, wish i knew this last winter ha! what size fan do you suggest? room is about 8x10

This is not a panacea for all your heating problems; actual BTu throughput will depend on outside temps, inside temps-and humidity- diameter of ducting, air restrictions, material the duct is made of, etc, etc. I'm not going to promise this will handle X number of lights, either- see the above list of variables for why!

However, if you run your room during the coldest part of the night, it gets cold outside, if you use thin metal ducting to maximize heat transfer, if that ducting is routed through fewer turns, if it's big enough to pull a useful amount of air through to cool the space- at a guess, I'd try 8" ducting for the room you mention- if you use a good quality quiet muffin fan and run it on a speed controller to keep noise down, if you set up your interior fans to blow on the ducting and connect them to your thermostat, if if
If
IF

Sorry. I think it should at least be a big help to an otherwise overwhelmed AC unit. Sealed and vented hoods? Yes, if heat is your concern- and use that same cold air from outside, of course!

H

HL45

Hey Hooked on Ponics. I was just wondering about the same thing.. can you post a pic or ask your hvac dude for some more detailed product information? I have a total of 3 window bangers that could potentially freeze over, would love to get thing sorted before it gets to late.

DemonTrich

DemonTrich

@CannabisJohn
He may be able to chime in and help @EventHorizan . Link your new wi dow thread here as well. I'm sure CJ has some thoughts.

Top Bottom