wiring question

• Thread starter bringtahoetreez
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
B

bringtahoetreez

there are two 1000w lights plugged into 110v outlets. there is a 220v outlet in the room next to it. How beneficial would it be to plug my lights, fans ect. into a 220v?

A

Albert

The lights could use a 240v switch, for peace of mind and lower the amp load on the individual circuits.
the fans and pumps can stay on 110v.

If you can , run a separate breaker box for your lights..Like an MLC-4 ran from a subpanel powered by the 240v in the next room.

Al

D

DoubleDub

ditto what albert said

the only major difference would be that you would have less load on the 110 and more on the 220. That could be beneficial if you plan on plugging a/c, fans, exhaust, etc into the 110 and dont ever want to worry about tripping your breaker.

In all honesty though as long as you've got enough amps to the room it doesnt really matter which one you run.

dentonland

dentonland

Your fans cant or most likely wont plug in 220v. The two lights at 2000 watts are almost maxing out your 120v 20 amp circuit, breaker pops at 2400 watts. Pigtail that 240 v whip to feed your lights... and use the 120v ur currently using for your small loads. Make sure your 240v breaker is 20 amp # 12 wire minimum.

dentonland

dentonland

:fixed:Oh yeah... if your paying for your electrical...................... 220v is cheaper. It might buy you a big mac every week with your savings...

B

bringtahoetreez

Thanks for your responses. I have some more reading to do and an electrician with 215 to find.

B

BurningTree87

abundant hydro has a 220 power box that will power 4 thous and even plugs into a timer so u can control when ur lamps are getting power. def. the better option for running ur lamps. Just make sure ur ballasts are 220v compatible, you will have to go buy the 220 cables for them unless you are using a Lumatek which i have heard can run 220v through a 110 cable.

I

Inuit

Hey All,

This "Cut your bill in half" is a very common misconception. It doesn't cut your bill in half at all, unless your power company charges you by AMPS, and not KILOWATTS(how they actually charge). So, savings, not so much.

However, they can allow you run 2x the number of lights on the same main panel.

IE 100 Amp panel will take about 8 x 1k's safely at 120
The same 100 Amp panel will take 18 x 1k's safely, but you will be paying more.

Be safe

Inuit

PS - If anyone does know a setup that isn't industrial that does charge by Amps used I'm all ears, but in a normal house, no way.

A

A

Albert

yeah just to chime in most 1000 watt ballast run at 9 amps at 110v at 220 they run at 4.5 amps so switching to 220 cuts the electric bill in half or you could double the amount of lights and pay just about the same

funk moving to california, I wanna live where you live :joint:

Dr.stickerdick

Dr.stickerdick

1000w is 1000w at 120v or 220v. You pay for watts. There is no savings. At 220v it's 4.5 amps. per leg or pole. And if you pig tail that 220v you will be making a multi wire branch circuit and you better understand potential DANGERS there in. Electricity has many parameters. If you learn just a little , you may be dangerous and not know it.

D

DoubleDub

inuit that is not entirely true,

You are correct about 220 not cutting your bill in half and but it also does not allow you to run more lights on a panel. All it does is allow you to run thinner, more efficient wiring to your ballasts.

let me explain, If you have a 100 amp panel the main breaker is usually a 2 pole breaker. This means that if either pole gets far enough above 100 amps the breaker will flip. In fact with most modern breakers, you can actually remove the little piece of plastic that connects the two and see for yourself. 9make sure to put it back on afterwards) A 2-pole 110v 100 amp main breaker is actually two separate 100 amp 110v single pole breakers linked together with a piece of plastic so that if one throws they both throw. As long as you balance your load onto both poles, you can actually pull 200 amps of 110 from a 100 amp breaker. If you decide to run 220 then the max you can run is 100 amps of 220.

Hope this makes sense...

G

Go Big

:fixed:Oh yeah... if your paying for your electrical...................... 220v is cheaper. It might buy you a big mac every week with your savings...

220v is just two 110v lines, so it costs exactly the same per kwh as 'normal' electric.........

Top Bottom