http://www.wrn.com/2010/04/medical-marijuana-bill-burns-out/

Medical marijuana bill burns out

by WRN Contributor on April 2, 2010

in Health & Medicine, Legislature

It looks like Wisconsin will not be joining the list of states that have
legalized medical marijuana.

With the legislative session set to end this month, state Senator Jon
Erpenbach (D-Waunakee) says the chances of the bill coming up for a vote
are not looking good and he doubts it will pass.

He says it's unfortunate, because many people outside the Capitol have
offered strong support for the measure. However, Erpenbach says concerns
from law enforcement and many medical experts have cast doubt on the
legislation.

Erpenbach says he's continuing to work on some sort of resolution that
could be taken up, but "it's not looking real good right now."

J

JaySelthofner

I have been an activist in Wisconsin and thank you for the support and work during the last session. I have announced that I am running for State Assembly (District 41) with an emphasis on marijuana reform.

jimih

jimih

Premium Member
Supporter
Hey Jay,,Hows it going Bro, Very glad to see ya here at the farm.So sorry for the slow response.No need to thank me bro, you Gary,Mary and Jacki are true HEROS to me and all of Wisconsin..THANK YOU. I met you at Marys memorial and Im so happy the pepole will have a chance to vote on the Referendum in Nov...Thanks again for all your hard work Jay..(lowgear) Jimi

jimih

jimih

Premium Member
Supporter
Source: Wisconsin State Journal
Published, Tuesday, July 20, 2010

County residents will get to vote on medical marijuana

DEVIN ROSE | 608-252-6143 | [email protected] | Posted: Tuesday, July 20, 2010 3:15 am

An advisory referendum will ask Dane County voters in November whether they think the state should legalize medical marijuana after the County Board voted unanimously to place it on ballots.

The move made the county the state’s first to introduce a medical marijuana resolution. The question would ask: “Should the Wisconsin Legislature enact legislation allowing residents with debilitating medical conditions to acquire and possess marijuana for medical purposes if supported by their physician?”

Sup. John Hendrick of Madison, who introduced the resolution on Thursday, said he was surprised at the board’s unanimous vote but wouldn’t be surprised if the referendum passed by a 70-30 margin or better.

Hendrick said he personally supports the legalization of medical marijuana because he has known people with disabling conditions who have benefited from it. He added he’s aware that some people believe the law is being abused in the 14 states and the District of Columbia, where pot is legally distributed.

“I guess that’s a chance I’m willing to take,” Hendrick said.

Sup. Eileen Bruskewitz of Waunakee said she originally planned to vote against the resolution but changed her vote because a referendum would allow people to have a say. Sup. Mike Willett of Verona said he is “often one that doesn’t vote with the crowd,” but he also changed his mind, for the same reason.

“We’re overjoyed at the fact it was a unanimous vote,” said Gary Storck, president of the state chapter of the National Organization for the Reform of Marijuana Laws.

Storck said it’s no longer acceptable to keep people in Wisconsin suffering, as demonstrated by the veterans who testified at the meeting.

A 1992 attempt in the Madison City Council to get a similar referendum on the ballot was not successful. Several current aldermen and former Madison mayor Sue Bauman said they couldn’t recall any resolutions introduced in recent years, though Bauman said she discussed it with activists.

The Wisconsin Medical Society has recommended marijuana continue to be illegal until it is studied in patients who have serious conditions.

jimih

jimih

Premium Member
Supporter
MADISON: The Veterans Administration recently decided to formally allow patients treated at its hospitals and clinics to use medical marijuana in states where it is legal.

Had a majority of Wisconsin State lawmakers not shrugged their collective shoulders to the plight of disabled vets and instead passed the Jacki Rickert Medical Marijuana Act this year, many Wisconsin veterans could now be rejoicing at the news.

Instead, it’s just more fear and looking over their shoulders, or moving to states where it is legal, as close as Michigan or Colorado, as many are doing if they have the ways and means. Meanwhile, with the election cycle heating up, many of the lawmakers who left Wisconsinites without legal access to medical marijuana are now asking to be reelected or even promoted to the U.S. Congress, in the case of State Sen. Julie Lassa (D-Milladore). Lassa joined Republicans on the Senate Health Committee in ensuring that Wisconsin veterans, seniors, sick disabled and dying would continue to be considered criminals if they chose medical cannabis to ease their pain. She now wants voters to trust her to send troops to war, after failing to protect veterans who have already served and who need medical cannabis to move forward with their lives.

The letter summarizing the new policy:.

This is a follow-up response to your letter requesting clarification of the Veterans Health Administration's (VHA) policy regarding the practice of prescribing opioid therapy for pain management for Veterans who provide documentation of the use of medical marijuana in accordance with state law.

lf a Veteran obtains and uses medical marijuana in a manner consistent with state law, testing positive for marijuana would not preclude the Veteran from receiving opioids for pain management in a Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) facility.

The Veteran would need to inform his provider of the use of medical marijuana, and of any other non-VA prescribed medications he or she is taking to ensure that all medications, including opioids, are prescribed in a safe manner.

Standard pain management agreements should draw a clear distinction between the use of illegal drugs, and legal medical marijuana. However, the discretion to prescribe, or not prescribe, opioids in conjunction with medical marijuana, should be determined on clinical grounds, and thus will remain the decision of the individual health care provider.

The provider will take the use of medical marijuana into account in all prescribing decisions, just as the provider would for any other medication. This is a case-by-case decision, based upon the provider's judgment, and the needs of the patient.

Should you have further questions, please contact Robert Kerns, PhD, National Program Director, New England Healthcare System at (203) 932-5711, extension 3841.

Signed, Robert A. Petzel, M.D.

J

JaySelthofner

Hey Jimih, I do remember meeting you...thanks for remembering me... I was just talking to Jacki the other day about that lobby day...did you see the line up for Harvest Fest this year? 40th Annual! It is going to be a great one... I will check back..otherwise you can find my campaign site and blogs out there. We also started an additional chapter of NORML named Northern Wisconsin NORML, website and blog up and running. Stay in touch!

jimih

jimih

Premium Member
Supporter
Hi jay,,Glad you remembered me...I didnt see the line up yet,Ill take a look,,HarvestFest is right around the corner. A Northernchapter is needed,,thats great.... Ill check out your campaign site also..Hope all is well...Jimi

jimih

jimih

Premium Member
Supporter
Interview with Independent WI State Assembly candidate Jay Selthofner
Jay Selthofner Official Campaign Website

Facebook: Friends of Jay Selthofner

Dozens "Talk Hemp & Cannabis" at Berlin WI Expo Feb 6
Talking Hemp and Cannabis Tour uncovers vast need for healthcare that includes medical cannabis

MADISON: While marijuana law reform is long overdue in Wisconsin, it is heartening to see more and more candidates willing to take on so-called “third-rail” issues like drug policy reform. One such candidate is Jay Selthofner, who is running for the Wisconsin State Assembly in District 41 as an Independent candidate. The seat is currently held by Rep. Joan Ballweg (R-Markesan).

I first met Mr. Selthofner last fall as the campaign to pass the Jacki Rickert Medical Marijuana Act was first ramping up, in the weeks before the press conference announcing the launch of the bill. We worked together on the medical cannabis issue both at the Capitol and outside, and he became an integral part of state efforts, focusing on fieldwork and outreach. Selthofner developed the Talking Hemp and Cannabis Tour beginning with Berlin and moving forward. His organizational skills were demonstrated with the Wal-Mart/JRMMA rallies, a high water mark in Wisconsin modern day cannabis activism, with dozens of events happening all over the state on one day.

While the JRMMA failed to pass, running for state legislature seems like a logical next step for Selthofner. Madison NORML Examiner asked him a few questions about his candidacy and how he got there.

MNE: What made you decide to run for the State Assembly?

JS: When I was younger, around 17-19 years old I worked with some of my mentors developing a variety of life goals. One of those goals was "do my civic duty by getting elected to something (after 35)". I had been exposed to politics on several levels in my life, working for the last year in depth on drug policy reform. In my most recent work, the people of my district and surrounding area, my former clients, family and other politicians urged me to run for this State Assembly seat with an emphasis on marijuana reform.

MNE: Why did you choose to run as an Independent instead of one of the two major parties or a Libertarian or Green?

JS: I took the collective advice of many and decided to run as an Independent. In all reality, I do not fit any mold nor label. The Independent Candidate itself is a statement that many people I speak to agree with. "We need to take the party of out of politics and put the people back" is now a slogan we also use.

In my past work I have excelled at networking with professionals, problem solving through educating and scenario management with goals of achieving financial security through a systemic implementation of short and long term planning. These are key elements of a successful state representative.

MNE: How have your opponents responded to your candidacy?

JS: I only met Nicholas Quade from Markesan once, during the June Dairy Days Parade in Markesan. He is republican challenging the incumbent and I only introduced myself and gave my brief reason for running. I have been in touch with the other two candidates. I have known each for sometime now and I would say they support reform of the current marijuana laws. The Incumbent Joan Ballweg (R-Markesan) was involved in sponsorship of Assembly Bill 206 (Industrial Hemp) during the last legislation session. I see the Democratic challenger Scott Milheiser from Fremont as supporting reform in marijuana laws because of my work, the issue was not on his radar screen as a candidate earlier this year when I spoke to him and other leading democrats in the surrounding counties.

MNE: What is your top issue?

JS: My main platform is reform in the current marijuana laws. Domestic farmers should be allowed to grow industrial hemp for food, fuel and fiber. The battlefield on this so called war on drugs is littered with patients and care givers who find therapeutic relief from using medical marijuana. We need to take the sick, dying and disabled patients off the battlefield, we need to allow doctors to have all tools available and we need to treat marijuana as a public health issue and criminal law with prohibition is not the humane or efficient way to deal with public health issues. Abuse of prescription drugs, alcohol and cigarettes kill too many Wisconsinites every year and legalizing recreational cannabis will offer a safer choice for Wisconsin. We need to protect the freedoms of our citizens to use cannabis responsibly and spend tax payer dollars wisely.

Regulating the marijuana industry is the key. Rather than policing this plant in an already strained system under the tax payer supported prohibition is not working and the public supports a change in this policy. A change will create new jobs in many sectors, including: farming, equipment manufacturing, transportation, production of goods and more. Hemp cannabis could provide a huge economic boost, reduce fossil fuel use, heal hurting patients and provide revenue for underfunded state and local needs.

MNE: Have voters been receptive?

JS: As I go out in the district, the support is overwhelming and at times amazing. The knowledge everyday citizens have on the subject matter is correct and the issue is not controversial at all to them.

MNE: What have you learned from the campaign so far?

JS: I have learned a great deal about other issues in our district as well, topics from the deer herd management, snowmobile trails, tourism, raw milk, states' rights, property taxes are on peoples minds. Voters see me as a vital link for them. I am very approachable and passionate, voters see me easily becoming a champion for their cause also. "Party politics" and voting the party line, in Madison and at the polls is another topic of conversation everywhere and is getting the blame for not getting anything done, ever! Voters in my district may even be viewed as political reformists as they see this also as an opportunity to elect an Independent to our State Assembly, which is monumental in itself.

MNE: How do you think you’ll do on Nov. 2?

JS: I have already won and expect to have small victories along the way up to November 2nd. If I get elected or not, that is up to the will of the people who show up that day, it certainly will not label me a loser. In all seriousness, this is the perfect storm and the political atmosphere is right, with the polling and work we have done so far, winning the election will not come as a surprise to anyone in our district.

MNE: How do people learn more about your campaign?

JS: It is becoming common for people to recognize and approach me for a handshake, so whatever we are doing is working. People are finding out about my campaign by a variety of social media sites. Our local newspapers continue to give the campaign positive coverage. Campaign yard signs and billboards are found throughout the district. The Friends of Jay are everywhere spreading the word. We are trying to attend as many community events as we possibly can. I think I have a head start on the competition on the door to door canvassing, as I have been educating the public on issues over the past year, door to door style. The people who do not know about the campaign are harder to find then supporters, so that is showing to be a good sign. I still am seeing 70-80% support for marijuana reform when I knock on a door, and many of those folks took a yard sign also.

For more information on Jay Selthofners candidacy for Assembly District 41, visit the Jay Selthofner Official Campaign Website, blog, or Facebook page: Friends of Jay Selthofner

Madison NORML Examiner will be continuing 2010 election coverage as it intersects with the cannabis issue. Stay tuned for more!

For more info: Great Midwest Marijuana Harvest Festival website. While efforts to pass the Jacki Rickert MMJ Act (JRMMA) failed in the 2009-2010 legislative session, advisory referendums this fall and other efforts are underway. Learn more by signing up at www.jrmma.org or on Facebook. For additional information on Cannabis and Wisconsin visit JRMMA.org, IMMLY.org, Wisconsin NORML or MadisonNORML.org. Visit my Madison NORML Examiner articles archive. Photos courtesy of Madison NORML/IMMLY. All rights reserved. Madison NORML Examiner is dedicated to the memory of our sister and hero Mary Powers (1949-2009).

Top Bottom