Worms! Worms! Worms!

• Thread starter Jasa
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
PiffinOut

PiffinOut

He's right, unless you are using clean products and leaving something for them to eat it is best to just stick to vermicomposting with the worms.

Its more of a preference. Worms control their population via hormones they release which depend on their environment and whether food is either plentiful or scarce. Worms in your dirt will provide airation of said dirt which allows plant roots a path of least resistance to disperse throughout the pot.. The result of aeration is a healthier fluffier rootball. Not only that, earthworm castings are made up of what once was complex decaying organic matter in the soil. That matter exists in your soil whether we want to admit its there or not. Its a scientiic fact Your plant may have a harder time breaking this decaying organic matter down depending how complex they are... and in some cases your plant may end up suffering root rot. But heres the beauty, worms work in symbiosis witht the plant in a variety of ways. Fantastic Fungi, the film does a beauitful job explaining how beneficial worms are for microbes, mycos, and plant room systems. Heres why, of all th things mentions, worms have actual digestive systems, and they seek out dead matter, like spent leaves, By digestin complex decaying nutrient sources they make those nutrients more "bioavailable" to the plant, speeding up the plants nutritional uptate. Not only this but by moving through the soil tunnelling and eatting and shitting as they go. These gluttonous worms who are livin fat off your land do one more thing.. They transport nutrients around the pot, giving the potting soil a more consistent and nutrient balanced soil profile. Worms perform 4 jobs, they 1 mix/ transport nutrient 2. aerate and the most common one we know of 3 Shit, thus increasing the bio-availability of nutrients for your roots and mycos/microbes.

Also heres a Dr. Worm tip. Should ones plant experience any kind of root rot, which is very common for newb growers in any realm of herbotony. Earthworms might actually help curb root rot occurnace significantly for the reasons I just mentioned 1)aeration 2) nutrient digestion of decaying/unhealthy roots and increasing availability for mycos and living/healthy roots.
My super soil does have several amendments and I plan on feeding them worm food as well. While I'm taping into your minds, any recommendations for worm food aside from what is offered by Uncle Jims? I've heard egg shells, banana peals, a little coffee grounds. Oh did I forget to mention dining room! In each fabric pot I have installed a 4" PVC pipe that goes 12" into the soil and has 1" and 3/4" holes drilled to within 2" of the surface. The piping is empty and allows me feed them and them cover the pipe so as not to attract insects or flies. I would love to hear your opinions or suggestions because that is how we grow as a community and perfect our craft.
I would be worried about those pipes impeding on root growth while also creating a nutrient dense hot spot depending on the profile of additives you are sending through it and its position in the pot. Why not go the compost tea and top dressing route. If you already have a supersoil as you say than you really should not need to add much overtime to need to feed much. I have a vermifarm myself and I am in no means picky about what goes in unless its a meat, which I will usually either throw out or put in a large tumbler depending on the size.
Eggs, coldcuts, rotten greens, fruits and fruits and stale nuts/ corn/ bread, coffee grinds, flowers, old chicken soup, beer, hair, unbleached/ uncolored cardboard/paper products, old milk.... All in the vermicomposter.

Last edited:
Top Bottom