Worms! Worms! Worms!

• Thread starter Jasa
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Jasa

Jasa

I just ordered my worms yesterday. When they arrive I post some pictures. I'll also post pictures of the dining rooms I copied from a video I saw and thought would be cool. Then I post how I placed them in the fabric pots. Should make for some interesting comments.

Jasa

Jasa

This is their new homes. First pictures are when I fed them for the first time, second set two days later. So as far it goes I think Uncle Jim's Worm food gets a 👍 from this group, that is if worms had thumbs 👀.
20200801 210104
20200804 223532

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

I haven't found this to be true, the part about it muddy'ing up the soil. I built my super soil equal parts of: Peat Moss / worm castings / perlite. I made 21gal total which means I used 7gals of worm castings. People have even planted seeds directly in worm castings mixed with perlite and been okay.

I agree though that worm castings offer endless benefits for your garden... They are rich in nutrients and introduce beneficial bacteria to the soil.
I agree with this^, I used to use the same mix as you but now I use 2-2-1, with 1 being the worm castings, as I found the equal mix a little heavy but still not muddy

Budda.stank

Budda.stank

Ive tried live worms in my pots before. It seemed as though i was always fighting with them to stay in the pots. Every couple days i would find them all stretched out on the grow room floor. Nor sure why they did not stay in the pots but i just gave up with the experiment.

Jasa

Jasa

Yes worms inside! They seem to be doing great judging by their appetite. Uncle Jim's Worms and food seem to work pretty good. Not promoting just giving facts. The pictures are one week old seedlings. On the left Original Gorilla and on the right Lemon 🍋 OG Haze. I think they will be ready for container upgrade next week. They get upgraded 3 times before going into my super soil. Thanks for your comments and I'll do my part with updates.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Yes worms inside! They seem to be doing great judging by their appetite. Uncle Jim's Worms and food seem to work pretty good. Not promoting just giving facts. The pictures are one week old seedlings. On the left Original Gorilla and on the right Lemon 🍋 OG Haze. I think they will be ready for container upgrade next week. They get upgraded 3 times before going into my super soil. Thanks for your comments and I'll do my part with updates.

Lol. Looks great and whatever works.

But still ewwwwwww!

;-)

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

BTW any ideas on why the leaves never sprouted on the little one. Had two other Lemons do the same but curled up and died the next day.

Dont know. Weird that the stem is green and the cots yellowed and died.

Still standing straight too.

Jasa

Jasa

Dont know. Weird that the stem is green and the cots yellowed and died.

Still standing straight too.
Exactly. The one thing all 3 had in common was they could shake the shell off. I finally got tired of waiting on this one and helped it the the shell off. I was really hoping she would recover. Hoping someone can help.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Exactly. The one thing all 3 had in common was they could shake the shell off. I finally got tired of waiting on this one and helped it the the shell off. I was really hoping she would recover. Hoping someone can help.

Did you drip water on the shell before prying off? Usually just the water works by itself.

BosBuds

BosBuds

is it a good idea to add live worms?
Yes, especially if you plan to reuse your soil.

How many should I add to the size of pots I'm using?
Doesn’t matter too much, they are good moderating their own population size to fit their conditions. 100 would be plenty.

What kind of worms are best?
Red wigglers.

Where would I buy them?
Uncle Jims worm farm

Hello!

I wanted to put a worm tower into my raised bed, using red wrigglers, and then decided against it after doing some additional research. First, red wrigglers are strictly composting worms, so would not necessrily go out to aerate the bed or distribute castings (which was a main reason I wanted to introduce them directly into the bed - see attached). Also, since surface area is important for composting, a 4" PVC tube wouldn't apparently be enough, and the kitchen scraps wouldn't decompose quickly inviting pests into the grow space. Lastly, I made my worm tower out of PVC, which is known to be toxic. For all those reasons, I decided to keep worms out of my growing bed, and will set up a separate worm farm to compost and harvest worm castings, which I'll just make into tea for top dressing. That said, I was told by the folks at Uncle Jims that Euro Nightcrawlers would aerate the bed, so a combo of the two breeds might do the trick. I'm going to dial in my forst grow and see how that goes before possibly introducing worms in the future....

20201026 171811
tomatoesarecooltoo

tomatoesarecooltoo

Hello!

I wanted to put a worm tower into my raised bed, using red wrigglers, and then decided against it after doing some additional research. First, red wrigglers are strictly composting worms, so would not necessrily go out to aerate the bed or distribute castings (which was a main reason I wanted to introduce them directly into the bed - see attached). Also, since surface area is important for composting, a 4" PVC tube wouldn't apparently be enough, and the kitchen scraps wouldn't decompose quickly inviting pests into the grow space. Lastly, I made my worm tower out of PVC, which is known to be toxic. For all those reasons, I decided to keep worms out of my growing bed, and will set up a separate worm farm to compost and harvest worm castings, which I'll just make into tea for top dressing. That said, I was told by the folks at Uncle Jims that Euro Nightcrawlers would aerate the bed, so a combo of the two breeds might do the trick. I'm going to dial in my forst grow and see how that goes before possibly introducing worms in the future....

Yeah the wigglers like to hangout near the surface under the mulch layer and eat your top dresses. Nightcrawlers like to scoot around all over, but they are not as happy in confined spaces. Your bed looks big enough that a combination sounds good. They will move in eventually anyways if you are topdressing fresh castings.

Top Bottom