Worms!!!

• Thread starter Hemplover50
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Hemplover50

Hemplover50

I am kinda new to growing and i have a bad infestation of worms I don’t want spray anything on the plants because im really close to harvest any help with this problem would be greatly appreciated

goingtoguano

goingtoguano

Do you have any pictures? That would help a lot in determining the exact problem.

Hemplover50

Hemplover50

Do you have any pictures? That would help a lot in determining the exact problem.
0D0A6D1B 09DB 4963 A6ED 1F12BD82ADA4

mancorn

mancorn

BT and Spinoside are the two best organic solutions. But this late in the year it's very difficult to spray since the worms are already deep within the buds, eating (and shitting up a storm, leading to mold). Depending on the size of your crop you have to inspect ever bud you can. Look for ANY sign of dying/wilted sugar leaf, and almost assuredly you'll find a worm. It's amazing how heathy a bud will look on the outside, only to be completed rotted out by worm shit. It can really be strain dependent, with some plants just getting completely decimated while neighboring strains less effected. And to really break your heart, the highest colas are the most effective. So spend as much time as you can inspecting the top buds, cut out the effective buds (if you don't remove the areas with the round turds, it'll just mold and spead, so don't skip on the removal). I know it's a real bummer, but it's a big problem that plagues a lot of outdoor growers and unless you have your plants covered, the worms are going to get their share.

mancorn

mancorn

Just went out to take a shot of worms. Found a few right away, including this fatty.

Another just grazing

mancorn

mancorn

Major sign of worm rot

And there it is enjoying a meal

After cutting out the rot

mancorn

mancorn

Look for the moth eggs like this white one, normally at edge/end of leaf (and on underside).

Another bud that looks ok at first glance...

But I see a dead sugar leaf and it's completely rotted out by worm

This plant has been so infested I just leave it around as a moth attractive to protect other plants as it's already been almost completely ruined.

Madbud

Madbud

Good post, the only thing i can add is they seem to hatch when it rains or there is heavy dew.

mancorn

mancorn

A tasty bud, just a few weeks from harvest

Of course it has a damn worm

Now a smaller bud after the worm got his share.

Last edited:
mancorn

mancorn

Good post, the only thing i can add is they seem to hatch when it rains or there is heavy dew.
Yeah my buddy was just telling me a few days ago that when it he goes out early in the morning (we live in northern CA a few miles from the bay and it's dewy most mornings) he finds the worms out in force.

It's cloudy and misty at my place today and I took all the above pics in the last hour.

Hemplover50

Hemplover50

BT and Spinoside are the two best organic solutions. But this late in the year it's very difficult to spray since the worms are already deep within the buds, eating (and shitting up a storm, leading to mold). Depending on the size of your crop you have to inspect ever bud you can. Look for ANY sign of dying/wilted sugar leaf, and almost assuredly you'll find a worm. It's amazing how heathy a bud will look on the outside, only to be completed rotted out by worm shit. It can really be strain dependent, with some plants just getting completely decimated while neighboring strains less effected. And to really break your heart, the highest colas are the most effective. So spend as much time as you can inspecting the top buds, cut out the effective buds (if you don't remove the areas with the round turds, it'll just mold and spead, so don't skip on the removal). I know it's a real bummer, but it's a big problem that plagues a lot of outdoor growers and unless you have your plants covered, the worms are going to get their share.
Hey thanks for all the info I really love growing outdoors but giving some serious thought to moving inside but thats really just a different set of thing to deal with. It really heart breaking after you spend all that time making sure your ladies are well taken care of and those little bastards screw everything up right at the end

Last edited:
mancorn

mancorn

I'm getting completely hammered the last couple weeks. Worse I've every experienced (and been growing since the late 70’s). We were having fairly mild weather, but as soon as it heated up recently the Skipper butterflies were out in droves.

This is just stuff I removed in an hour or so today. And I'm sure I could find a fair amount more, but I get so depressed after awhile I have to stop and go drink beer.

W

WhackityJack

I'm getting completely hammered the last couple weeks. Worse I've every experienced (and been growing since the late 70’s). We were having fairly mild weather, but as soon as it heated up recently the Skipper butterflies were out in droves.

This is just stuff I removed in an hour or so today. And I'm sure I could find a fair amount more, but I get so depressed after awhile I have to stop and go drink beer.
View attachment 899292
Can you soak that stuff in hydrogen peroxide + water to get rid of the mold and dirt then cook or process it into something usable?

Hemplover50

Hemplover50

Just want to post a follow up the caterpillar’s didn’t get to everything the did leave me a little something
So I guess the next question would be anyone have tips for drying and curing
53806892 1CE1 4AC4 9D20 AB1163F6C383
A110219C DBF0 4CEA 8DE4 895B42653FC8

Madbud

Madbud

You can use btk “right up to harvest”. They need to eat it to kill them so we’re talking about spraying the buds. I would spray tonight if you can wait a couple weeks to harvest, then a water and peroxide bath before hanging to dry. Either Monterey or Thuricide are at most garden centers. Stuff smells nasty but supposedly is gone in a couple days. Safe for eating but haven’t seen any tests about smoking it. Careful applying it, protect your eyes.

Hightechredneck

Hightechredneck

You can use btk “right up to harvest”. They need to eat it to kill them so we’re talking about spraying the buds. I would spray tonight if you can wait a couple weeks to harvest, then a water and peroxide bath before hanging to dry. Either Monterey or Thuricide are at most garden centers. Stuff smells nasty but supposedly is gone in a couple days. Safe for eating but haven’t seen any tests about smoking it. Careful applying it, protect your eyes.
Thanks for the good intel. One of the only things i can find locally is this
RTU Insecticidal SUPER Soap
Do you reccomend?

Top Bottom