worried about new smart meters

• Thread starter Budds Bunny
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
J

jointsallday

I'm nervous too.

It's not the 1-2 k of elec. I'm using,,, it is that the smart meters see a pattern of 12 on/off for 60 days.

also the elec. co. knows the difference in a dryer or a microwave compared to the electrical footprint of a hps ballast coming on...then solid for 12 hours.

IMHO They know what you're doing exactly.......my hope is their greed,

J

jointsallday

He has a smart meter that can record all his ussage for months. It will show up that he has a light running 12 hours on. Run it 24/7 and it will look like you have a few freezers or somehing running.
Yes im a medical user in cali, just because i dont have to worry about a smart meter doesnt mean i like it.

The problem with this line of thought is,, as far as I can think of,, everything cycles...baseboard heat,, air cond., freezer compressors.....what comes on like a hid ballast and then has the constant drain? so even with a flip flop it's scary.

To repeat, I hope they're into money and not police work.

good luck

darlingmaster

darlingmaster

So here's the info I got on the smart meters, as I have one. Yes hydro can read how much power is being used at any time. But they will only look at the usage if there is a power outage or problem with the grid in that area, which hardly ever happens. Besides that your meter sends information about 4 times a day to hydro to keep an accurate record of power usage. Nobody is sitting at a monitor looking at your usage or other houses usage at any point. You have any idea how many accounts Bchydro has? Your worring for absolutely no reason, all hydro cares about is if you steal power. Your there best friend if you have a large bill and pay on time.
EXACTLY!
My brother works for a well known power company and he told me the exact same thing. Human eyes are not watching a computer screen monitoring your usage. And that the only time human eyes will look is if theirs an outage in your area or other "trouble" in your area. And even then they are not looking at your usage and high/low usage peaks/times, only at pin-pointing exactly the location of the problem/outage.
Also, (at least in the state we live in) the company does not hand over customer records to law enforcement UNLESS the power company thinks you're stealing power OR law enforcement produces a subpena.
Yes the new meters will enable you to actually see your usage in real time but it is no easier for someone else to see it (law enforcement) than when analog meters are used.
A law requiring a subpena does not become invalid because smart meters are being used.
If law enforcement is wanting your electric bill then they're already onto you, and the bill will just confirm what they already suspect.

K

kusheater1

no worries you could have a home business and have a server in your house an ac would be needed at all times this is how I got the electrical done by a contractor in my house

PhatNuggz

PhatNuggz

OK, but let's get real. IMHO, you only run the risk if you are illegal. And even then, if you are a personal use grower you can harvest 3-4 ounces of some premo AF every 60 days with an 8 bulb HO T 5 (~ 400 watts) in a 3 X 4 area. Most of us do not need that much, assuming it is quality/ potent mmj

If you are dealing large quantities you should move to the country and/or get a solar system to cover the abnormal wattage

I seriously doubt that any personal use grower ( ~ 400 watts/mo on an average bill) would draw a red flag. And if it did, by the time they decided to closely monitor you, you would be busy smoking not growing.

Use your head to feed your head

hth

G

gudkarma

they have these in my east coast state.

for the water company as well. recently, i get a letter stating the battery on my unit needs replacing with schedule dates for service & some other protocol.

not me. fuck that.

i am gonna force them to send me the battery to install myself.

or pay a licensed plumber (best friend is licensed ;-) if necessary.

more to the point, i know i use more water than the average single dude living alone... but you know what... its america & i pay the bill on time!

always.

electric too. dont play jusy pay :-)

no worries on usage & i bust 4850w total system (veg & flower). so what? all you are is a good customer... if you keep it that way.

like peeps mentioned, no electrical stealing & pay up.

* and if you do worry cause you consume lots of electric, then "flip flop" to keep consistent use across 24 hours.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Top Bottom