worthwhile making landrace seeds?

• Thread starter budboy299
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
primordial

primordial

The two males, do they have to be brothers or different pheno atleast or is there a significant difference that matters?

shemshemet

shemshemet

Primordial-

First off, I would like to say the seed DEFINITELY came first :)
https://faculty.unlv.edu/landau/gymnosperms.htm

Second, what I wrote was an example of what you might have.

If you have more than one male, YES use both.

This is because you know much less about the males, the characteristics are not easily seen. Whereas the female traits are easily recognized (just gotta find some nice bud man).

IF you are going to be picky (I do not recommend), toss the female you don't like, NOT the males (esp. as early in the process as you are).

primordial

primordial

Primordial-

This is because you know much less about the males, the characteristics are not easily seen. Whereas the female traits are easily recognized (just gotta find some nice bud man).

IF you are going to be picky (I do not recommend), toss the female you don't like, NOT the males (esp. as early in the process as you are).
I have plenty originals from the 90's but I also have inbreds from friends and family and back crosses, some back into the 90's some not, some clone onlies and what not, but very few Internet stuff if any at all. So I will reveal more then likely a few hermies at different phases of flower period but none will survive to ruin the medicine intended to ripen naturally.

primordial

primordial

Primordial-

Great link. Great info. I will have to give it a few times over but so far it reads as though grass came first then the flower.

shemshemet

shemshemet

I have plenty originals from the 90's but I also have inbreds from friends and family and back crosses, some back into the 90's some not, some clone onlies and what not, but very few Internet stuff if any at all. So I will reveal more then likely a few hermies at different phases of flower period but none will survive to ruin the medicine intended to ripen naturally.

So I'd like to be clear about the point I am trying to make. I was talking about each line. Budboy said he popped some Peruvian seeds, and 5 of them are now growing. What I was talking about was his first step, and what I would do in his position. I believe his first step would be to preserve the genetic line in seed form, and that he had two viable options (in my mind). Option one is open pollination between his 5 peruvian seeds. Option two is a controlled pollination between his 5 peruvian seeds.

Once you get into crossing and mixing and matching the DIFFERENT strains there are many many more ways of going about things.

Great link. Great info. I will have to give it a few times over but so far it reads as though grass came first then the flower.

Grasses are flowering plants, I'm not sure if monocots (grasses) came before dicots (flowering plants with two leaves [cotyledons] at sprouting).

primordial

primordial

Ah ha. How about a controlled pollination at week 4-5 followed by open pollination a week or two later.

primordial

primordial

What would be the point of that?
Variation and it would ensure the opposite of what I be leave is called bottlenecking, basically I think if I am super choosey and pick rare phenos out of large populations, I am loosing out on too much of the genetics potential.

So for the seeds in question I would match up similar phenos close pollenate and label, then open pollenate everything a week later not to miss out on variation. In other words I wouldn't cull anything unless it was a hermy, but like farmers have said before an exceptionally medicinal hermy may even fly. But don't pay attention to me shemshe I'm just bored and anxious to get growing again.

Last edited:
shemshemet

shemshemet

Primordial-

First I'd like to say this is a forum, ask ask ask ask ask ask ask away. As we call it in my industry, never be afraid to "pick somebodies brain".

Now on to the real talk. I don't think you're fully grasping what I am trying to say, and I don't necessarily blame you.

When I told budboy my opinion, I said he should do an 'open-controlled' pollination. I made that term up. I agree that he should be preserving the genetics with the highest amount of variability at this stage (because he has limited seeds). The easiest way to do this would be to open pollinate the bunch.

The alternative, 'open-controlled', would give the same results in terms of variability, but he would know the parents of EVERY SINGLE seed. Budboy would cross EACH AND EVERY MALE to EACH AND EVERY FEMALE.

So my 'open-controlled' pollination has nothing to do with choosing the right plants. In essence it IS an open pollination.

If you have any more questions or want to clarify this anymore, feel free to send me a PM, I'll be happy to talk plants. I can't muddy up this thread anymore, sorry Budboy!

-Shem

Latest posts

Top Bottom