Would a pH of 6.4 Cause My Seedlings To Look This Funky? Or Something Else Going On?

• Thread starter GrowInTheDark
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
G

GrowInTheDark

I Popped 8 seeds 2 weeks ago. Seeds are "Soul Mate" by Bodhi.

I noticed 5 of the 8 seedlings had seemed either stunted or looked really droopy/funky-looking. Thought it might be low humidity so I put a dome on for a couple days and that didn't help so I checked pH yesterday and pH read 7.5 so I calibrated my pH pen and realized pH was really at 6.4... so I ph'd it down to 5.8.

I'm still not sure if pH of 6.4 would do this to seedlings though as I have three other seedlings that seem to be fine (seen in the last photo).

This is the second pack of Soul Mate I've popped, and I've popped several other seed packs by Bodhi in the past several years, using the same method.. but this is the first time I've had problems with seedlings at this early of a stage. I also don't remember ever starting out with high pH though. Any idea if it's most certainly the pH being too high or is it definitely something else like russet mites?

(I had russet mites about 6 months ago and threw all plants away and took a break from growing since. Now I'm worried I may still have russet mites even though I don't see anything under the microscope on these seedlings)

Medium is all perlite with a fabric wick inside the perlite cup that goes down into a nutrient reservoir below to wick up 200ppm nutrient water as the perlite dries. The perlite is definitely not too wet. It is NOT overwatering I am experiencing.. I took one of the cups out of the reservoir so the perlite could dry out and the seedling did not respond.. so I know its not a case of overwatering. Please help!
Seedling1

Seedling

1640815500270.png

And here's a photo of 3 normal-looking seedlings and 2 severely-stunted seedlings. All 8 seedlings are same age:
Seedling2

Last edited:
Skeggox

Skeggox

Not a hydro guy yet but I'm trying to learn all I can for when I make the switch. But I have seeds that sprouted Christmas that are further along than these. How's your humidity? What type of light and how close? Going by the pics it looks like they're drying out. Again I'm not educated very much on hydro. But I dont see many people using just straight perlite. Could it be that the perlite is wet but doesn't hold enough water to keep the plant happy? Or the wic system isn't drawing enough up to keep it properly watered?

Top Bottom