Wtf Coco Rookie Failing

• Thread starter Nyceone
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Nyceone

Nyceone

Hello all. I have been lurking for sometime and need help with coco. I got some nice genes from true north and went for my first coco grow. Seeds sprouted great, first leaves came out and curled upward badly, they are brittle and the plants are slow to grow although the stems seem to be thickening. I am using a high quality buffered coco. I know this because the Ph in and the runoff are .1 different. I am using botinacare nutes, somewhat diluted (665 ppm) as these are young plants. Cal mag included. Ph 5.6. The plants really showed a downward condition when i went from florescent to my 600w mh. @50% ballast output. Approx 24" from the plants. I did this as i am in the north and the florescent bulbs dont produce much heat. At the level of the plants (now a month old on 20/4 light) i have 71 degrees in the room. I even started 3 other seedlings (different strain) some in soil and they are doing the same thing! Im not a novice grower, only novice to coco and am really frustrated. Any suggestions welcome.
Wtf coco rookie failing
Wtf coco rookie failing 2

Wtf coco rookie failing 3
Wtf coco rookie failing 4
EventHorizan

EventHorizan

Hello all. I have been lurking for sometime and need help with coco. I got some nice genes from true north and went for my first coco grow. Seeds sprouted great, first leaves came out and curled upward badly, they are brittle and the plants are slow to grow although the stems seem to be thickening. I am using a high quality buffered coco. I know this because the Ph in and the runoff are .1 different. I am using botinacare nutes, somewhat diluted (665 ppm) as these are young plants. Cal mag included. Ph 5.6. The plants really showed a downward condition when i went from florescent to my 600w mh. @50% ballast output. Approx 24" from the plants. I did this as i am in the north and the florescent bulbs dont produce much heat. At the level of the plants (now a month old on 20/4 light) i have 71 degrees in the room. I even started 3 other seedlings (different strain) some in soil and they are doing the same thing! Im not a novice grower, only novice to coco and am really frustrated. Any suggestions welcome. View attachment 664618 View attachment 664619
665 ppm? Hmmmm.. They are quite little.. I think they have walked the green mile....

I think it was too early to switch to HID but don't get me wrong. It is possible to go through the process with mh or even hps but for a 600w at 24" away at this stage, I'd say it's too early or too close.
Check out my pic. Just started the week 3 of veg and my 600w mh is sitting at 2 ft (24") away but I'm running it at 400w with my digital ballast

IMG 1702
One drop

One drop

Bush Doctor
Supporter
I think it was too early to switch to HID but don't get me wrong. It is possible to go through the process with mh or even hps but for a 600w at 24" away at this stage, I'd say it's too early or too close.
Check out my pic. Just started the week 3 of veg and my 600w mh is sitting at 2 ft (24") away but I'm running it at 400w with my digital ballast
Yep I have my 600 hps right up to the top of my 6' tent there's plenty of light and it keeps the heat off the top of the plants .

Nyceone

Nyceone

So you suggest start over? Stay with florescent for how long do you suggest? My mh is at 50% output of 600 w (300w output right?) Low temp. In the room not the issue in your opinion?

So you suggest start over? Stay with florescent for how long do you suggest? My mh is at 50% output of 600 w (300w output right?) Low temp. In the room not the issue in your opinion?
How low is the temp? You could start over but I'm that type of guy who would not quit even after the plant is completely dead and I brought so many dead plants back to life (about 30-40%) of the time. Go back to fluorescent and keep it that way until they look like the clones u see at the dispensaries. The plant needs to be strong by then with some strong nodes, roots and more leaves than your picture.

EventHorizan

EventHorizan

No you fried them with all the extreme variables. To high of nutes. Too much light to low. I will admit you looked like you watered decently :).
Start off in solo cups with holes in the bottom for drainage for the first couple of weeks....
you can set the cups in saucers and make 1/4 strength nutes 250 ppm plus mix 1 ml of calimag in ro water forst then add nutes... Pour the mix in the saucer and it will wick it up... That will get you thru the first couple weeks

Nyceone

Nyceone

Thank you for the replies. I struggle with florescent to keep at 65 degrees. Going to find a space heater. @1320. I'm with you. I'll keep these ladies on life support AND I'll reload with a new batch of seeds u under florescent at suggested ppm until they are strong enough for MH lights

Nyceone

Nyceone

One other question. I don't have access to plentiful supplies of RO water. My tap water reads 26 ppm and i leave it out at least overnight before i water. Is that going to me ok? We have very good tapwater here

Mr.GoodCat

Mr.GoodCat

Precharge your coco with about 250 ppm of nutes at 5.8 ph until runoff shows good. Plant and keep feed with ph water at 5.8 until you get about 3 nodes then you can gradually increase ppm. 600+ is way to strong for seedlings

EventHorizan

EventHorizan

So you suggest start over? Stay with florescent for how long do you suggest? My mh is at 50% output of 600 w (300w output right?) Low temp. In the room not the issue in
One other question. I don't have access to plentiful supplies of RO water. My tap water reads 26 ppm and i leave it out at least overnight before i water. Is that going to me ok? We have very good tapwater here
I wouldn't but I heard of people that do. I would probably at least mix half and half. If you keep having problems switch to ro and see if it helps...

IMG 1571
IMG 1541
IMG 1571
Thank you for the replies. I struggle with florescent to keep at 65 degrees. Going to find a space heater. @1320. I'm with you. I'll keep these ladies on life support AND I'll reload with a new batch of seeds u under florescent at suggested ppm until they are strong enough for MH lights
You're doing the right thing. As a matter of fact the picture I posted is from 2 of my plants that were almost dead but I didn't quit on them. These are the pictures from when they were having issues which was 2 weeks ago.

EventHorizan

EventHorizan

Unless it was some genetics I didn't want to lose I would reboot. If it's your only seeds or clones I understand pushing forward. I just feel like if they get stunted early it affects yield or length of veg needed....

EventHorizan

EventHorizan

U might Google using coco with tap water and read.

One drop

One drop

Bush Doctor
Supporter
That will be fine but make sure your PH is right for your media your using in my opinion I would give them 3 to 4 weeks under fluro and gradually increase the ppm's as being advised before also smaller solo cups are the way to go I start in 7 oz then transplant up to 12 oz solo cups I tend to transplant 3 to 4 times before they hit the 20lt pots remember it's a little seed so it's needs are small the reason the seed germinates is purely for anchorage it wants are simple gentle light small amount of moisture and humidity anyway good luck with the nursing back the little ones you have maybe you can repot them into smaller solo cups taking care to tease out the roots gently .

Irietime

Irietime

No you fried them with all the extreme variables. To high of nutes. Too much light to low. I will admit you looked like you watered decently :).
Start off in solo cups with holes in the bottom for drainage for the first couple of weeks....
you can set the cups in saucers and make 1/4 strength nutes 250 ppm plus mix 1 ml of calimag in ro water forst then add nutes... Pour the mix in the saucer and it will wick it up... That will get you thru the first couple weeks

Jelly roll's got all the answers. You having problems with your grow, just ask the roll, what's up!!!:)

Top Bottom