WTF - Help Me ID

• Thread starter outwest
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
outwest

outwest

Premium Gardener
Supporter
Been having problems in outwest gardens. The girls just ain't looking up to snuff. Definitely have a bad case of fungus gnats and have been hesitant to go toxic on them. May have root aphids, but am having a bitch of a time finding them. I do have lots of super unhealthy leaves, which I've taken some photos of. Some of the leaves look like spider mites, but they are definitely not. No problem spotting those, and I have 45x macroscope to help with the task.

1. Are you growing from seed or clones?
Clones

2. How old are your plants?
~5 weeks

3. How tall are your plants?
12" - 24"

4. What size containers are they planted in?
1g

5. What is your soil mix?
Roots Organic, top fed with Roots Uprising and teas.

6. How often do you water and what type of water do you use?
Water as needed, filtered tap water.

7. What is the pH of your water?
About 7 out of the tap.

8. What kind of fertilizer do you use and what is its NPK ratio?
9. Do you foliar feed or spray your plants with anything?

Nothing in flower this round.
10. What kind of lights do you use and how many watts combined? (HPS, MH, fluorescent, halogen, incandescent "plant lights")
2x600w HPS 1 300w LEP
11. How close are your lights to the plants?
12"-24"

12. What size is your grow space in square feet?
4'x6'

13. What is the temperature and humidity in your grow space?
68f-82f 50%RH

14. What is the pH of the soil?
Unknown

15. Have you noticed any insect activity in your grow space?
See above.

16. How much experience do you have growing?
Intermediate.

Below are the photos.

outwest

Wtf   help me id 3

Wtf   help me id 4

Wtf   help me id 2

Wtf   help me id

ttystikk

ttystikk

the last, darkest leaf just looks like it has some sort of nutrient deficiency.

I can't see what the yellowish spots are.

Russet mites are very small, maybe too small to see with 45x, but your leaf damage looks nothing like them.

NaturalTherapy

NaturalTherapy

Lighthouse
Supporter
Either what they said or could be the root aphids... encountered some similar damage when dealing with them

Is it any plant(s) in particular or is it an all around problem?

PButter

PButter

RUN!!!
Supporter
HeyO, try and get an idea for your soil pH- I think if its much below 6.4-6.3 (help me out) cal/mag doesn't like being absorbed. I thin the process is take 10grams of soil add to 50 grams of RO or distilled water and shake, wait, take pH.

If it turns out to be a bug, I've not seen that damage.

420alldaze

420alldaze

damn bro sorry to hear that. havent seen that before. gnats/too wet? have you been drying out between waters? hope it clears up for you

sky high

sky high

Get some Microbe Lift bti for those gnats. It'll fuck em up but good.

good luck

Ohiofarmer

Ohiofarmer

A good 1st start would be to flush heavy and test the runoff.......take it easy

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
The damage I've been seeing from fungus gnats does not resemble that, nor does root aphid infestation. I would like to know where on the plant you're seeing that. If upper leaves, Ca-. If midplant, K-. If lower... I'll have to do some research. But it looks like a deficiency to my eyes, not a disease or pest issue.

I'm still waiting for the Gnatrol, Mosquito Dunks, DiPel and nematodes to do in my fucking gnats. They're not fungus gnats, they're fucking gnats.

Dunge

Dunge

I just killed a full cycle.
In my gnat fight, I was topping with a new bag of pretty white gravel.
Turned out to be caustic and salty, so when watered the poison traveled down the pot.
It took me weeks to figure out, and by that time almost every pot that was so treated was not recoverable.
I'm not saying that you too are actively and efficiently killing plants like I did, but my story may help you think about what has changed.

When my garden is all green and healthy, I am on top of the world.
When not, I'm not.
Best wises on figuring this out.

R

red x

looks like white flies on that 1st leaf
then maybe low cal/mag
best of luck
peace
ez

vaporedout

vaporedout

take a jar, pop some holes in the top, fill it with an inch of ACV, apple cider vinegar. if you have fungus gnats, they will show up in the jar. im dealing with those and thripes. first pic looks like mites a bit. good luck

Cort

Cort

Microb lift for the gnats, calibrate your PH tester, then check runoff. Caps tea from now on for preventative.

Had similar problems not long ago. Had just checked my ph pen and started getting phantom deficiencies. Flushed, run off tested perfect what I was putting in.... About a week and a half goes by and I go to test calibration and it was way off. Cleaned and tested pen, found it was bad. Problems solved very fast after new pen got to me.

dankworth

dankworth

If it is fungus gnats, bacillus thuringiensis israelensis(bti) will address it. Microbelift smells like hideous unwashed ass. Caps bennies have bti in one of the packs, and no foul stench. Check runoff for wriggling larvae.

Looks like nute def from ph being out of whack upon first glance to me, but I'm out of practice.

Back your ph pen up with those colored drops maybe for instant verification of drift.

Anyone know of a bulletproof ph meter that does not require frequent calibration?

forman

forman

THRIPS is my guess. Had the same symptoms a few months back and i couldnt locate or find any gnats or aphids but one day looking on the underside of a leaf i saw a yellow spot when i touched it, it squirmed away almost looked like it was hiding from me so look real close. I used monterey insect spray with SPINOSAD and after 3 or 4 treatments i was larvae free, I never saw an adult thrip even with sticky sheets all over. The damage is similar to mites but mites are alot easier to locate Hope you find the problem soon cause it sucks when this shit happends

PS i have had lots of issues with fungus gnats but they have never caused my leaves to spot like that

dankworth

dankworth

In my experience thrips left a honey-like residue on tops of leaves in some spots where they ate.
I think Cap may have ingredients of Spinosad in one of his packs, but not 100% sure about that.

forman

forman

Thanks Dankworth Completely forgot Yes my leaves had a shine to them not on everyone but sporadically all over the plants

Latest posts

Top Bottom