Yellow Edged Leaves

• Thread starter Cannaculture
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
LexLuthor

LexLuthor

Depends on what nutrients is in your soil, also, it depends on how often you use nutrients, i.e., once a week or every watering. Plain water or nutrient solution at 1/4 strength of your normal strength with decent run-off will help lower your EC if it gets too high.

I like to use a low EC, usually no higher then 1.2 or so during peak, but feed every watering. Soil users usually feed every other watering. What soil are you using??

Cannaculture

Cannaculture

Depends on what nutrients is in your soil, also, it depends on how often you use nutrients, i.e., once a week or every watering. Plain water or nutrient solution at 1/4 strength of your normal strength with decent run-off will help lower your EC if it gets too high.

I like to use a low EC, usually no higher then 1.2 or so during peak, but feed every watering. Soil users usually feed every other watering. What soil are you using??

The soil i'm using is by Bio Bizz and is just called All Mix.

I've only ever fed them nutes twice, the first time a 1/4 dose and the second time a 1/2 dose. I'm waiting on my new, larger pots to arrive and as soon as they do i'm up-planting to them so hopefully they'll be good for another two weeks at least then i'm looking to flip them.

Like you said, I didn't feed every watering, I had thought every other and not go full strength until they've gorwn up a bit more. In all my worry with burning them though I think I under did it all hence my yellowing.

LexLuthor

LexLuthor

I don't have experience with BioBizz, but look on the bag at the ingredients, if it has alot of compost, bone and blood meal, kelp, and other stuff like that, then you probably don't have to use nutrients the 1st week or so. If it just has a few like peat moss, coco, compost, ect. then IMO you should use nutrients right away.

If its just peat moss, perlite, coco without compost, I would drop the pH to 5.8-6.2., but if it has all that compost and organic nutrients in it like FF Ocean Forest then I would keep the pH around 6.5.

Cannaculture

Cannaculture

I don't have experience with BioBizz, but look on the bag at the ingredients, if it has alot of compost, bone and blood meal, kelp, and other stuff like that, then you probably don't have to use nutrients the 1st week or so. If it just has a few like peat moss, coco, compost, ect. then IMO you should use nutrients right away.

If its just peat moss, perlite, coco without compost, I would drop the pH to 5.8-6.2., but if it has all that compost and organic nutrients in it like FF Ocean Forest then I would keep the pH around 6.5.

Lex, yet again, I can only thank you. That sounds like perfect advice!

I don't live at the same place as my garden (I live in one of the many unenlightened countries upon this planet) so will check all that out tomorrow.

You simply can't out a price on pearls of wisdom like that!

Rootbound

Rootbound

Supporter
Rootbound, the pH I keep at around 6.2-6.8 and the EC i'm only going to be able to test for the first time tomorrow as Amazon f'cked up my order for the meter and i've been assured it'll arrive then.

What is a good EC level and the best way to lower it if it is too high?

Is 6.2 to 6.8 test from your runoff?

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Canna, I saw in your first post that you thought there might be a problem with Mg, and that's where I'm landing pretty solidly. But, not 100%, so I'd like to know if you've tried one of the diagnostics for figuring a Mg-, which is to give a foliar application and see if the treated plant greens up. If it *is* a Mg-, then you give a foliar of 1/4tsp MgSO4 (Epsom salt) per gallon water with a surfactant (dish soap, nonantimicrobial, please). Sometimes the change occurs in only a matter of hours, but usually by the next day you can see.

Have you done this? If not, consider trying it on one or two of those plants. If they green up, then that's the tell right there.

Cannaculture

Cannaculture

Canna, I saw in your first post that you thought there might be a problem with Mg, and that's where I'm landing pretty solidly. But, not 100%, so I'd like to know if you've tried one of the diagnostics for figuring a Mg-, which is to give a foliar application and see if the treated plant greens up. If it *is* a Mg-, then you give a foliar of 1/4tsp MgSO4 (Epsom salt) per gallon water with a surfactant (dish soap, nonantimicrobial, please). Sometimes the change occurs in only a matter of hours, but usually by the next day you can see.

Have you done this? If not, consider trying it on one or two of those plants. If they green up, then that's the tell right there.

Thanks Seamaiden, the short answer is no, i've not tested for a specific deficiency, I arrived at that through nothing more than a visual diagnosis. Being that it's my first time I don't know that much about that sort of thing. Your method above sounds like a good step so I'll definitely try that.

Out of interest how much soap would you use per gallon and do you recommend a specific brand?

Thanks again!

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Thanks Seamaiden, the short answer is no, i've not tested for a specific deficiency, I arrived at that through nothing more than a visual diagnosis. Being that it's my first time I don't know that much about that sort of thing. Your method above sounds like a good step so I'll definitely try that.

Out of interest how much soap would you use per gallon and do you recommend a specific brand?

Thanks again!
Just a few drops, unless it's Dawn, and then I'd only use one drop. Make sure it's not an antibacterial/antimicrobial soap. Don't want to add to the problem of resistant critters.

Lex, I use soap or JMS Stylet as a surfactant. This breaks the water surface tension and allows whatever you're spraying to 'stick' and 'spread' and then it can be more easily taken up by stomata. In the ag world I believe JMS is what's more commonly used, but for me, soap also works just fine. Like many things, a little goes a long way.

Cannaculture

Cannaculture

Just a few drops, unless it's Dawn, and then I'd only use one drop. Make sure it's not an antibacterial/antimicrobial soap. Don't want to add to the problem of resistant critters.

Lex, I use soap or JMS Stylet as a surfactant. This breaks the water surface tension and allows whatever you're spraying to 'stick' and 'spread' and then it can be more easily taken up by stomata. In the ag world I believe JMS is what's more commonly used, but for me, soap also works just fine. Like many things, a little goes a long way.

Just so as i'm clear, do you literally mean a liquid soap you'd buy to clean your hands with or the sort for washing dirty plates etc.? I understand the theory behind not using antibacterial/microbial but didn't want to use something that might later harm the plants defences.

I know i'm only new to the game but using this sort of product isn't something i'd evr envisaged having to use.

baba G

baba G

bean sprouts are tasty
coco wet ftw
Or saturator but that's pricey...

LexLuthor

LexLuthor

Just so as i'm clear, do you literally mean a liquid soap you'd buy to clean your hands with or the sort for washing dirty plates etc.? I understand the theory behind not using antibacterial/microbial but didn't want to use something that might later harm the plants defences.

I know i'm only new to the game but using this sort of product isn't something i'd evr envisaged having to use.

Yes, actual dish soap, but only when using as a foliar, not in the medium.

There are lots of things you will learn, just keep at it. I've learned more in the last year growing indoors and researching on this site then I did in the last 4 years before that combined.

Cannaculture

Cannaculture

Yes, actual dish soap, but only when using as a foliar, not in the medium.

There are lots of things you will learn, just keep at it. I've learned more in the last year growing indoors and researching on this site then I did in the last 4 years before that combined.

Thanks for clearing that up. Looks like I'll be spending time down at the local supermarket tomorrow scrutinising all the washing up liquid then.

And I can well believe the amount you've learnt from here and growing yourself. I thought I'd read a lot before I started but since I did I can't help but think I didn't do nearly half enough. I think the cultivation of this plant would warrant an entire degree course on it's own!

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl

What you'd use to wash your dishes. I believe in the UK/Europe it's called washing up liquid, if that's more helpful for you. IMO, the cheaper the better.

I've been using some super-cheap stuff I picked up at the dollar store as part of my Neem emulsion, on seedlings of all sorts, root drench. As long as you go easy it's not a problem.

These are tricks that can be used with many plants, not just cannabis.

Oh, you could also use the wash water from quinoa, as it's high in saponins (again, sticker-spreader).

Cannaculture

Cannaculture

What you'd use to wash your dishes. I believe in the UK/Europe it's called washing up liquid, if that's more helpful for you. IMO, the cheaper the better.

I've been using some super-cheap stuff I picked up at the dollar store as part of my Neem emulsion, on seedlings of all sorts, root drench. As long as you go easy it's not a problem.

These are tricks that can be used with many plants, not just cannabis.

Oh, you could also use the wash water from quinoa, as it's high in saponins (again, sticker-spreader).

Thanks for clearing that up. I was pretty sure I knew what you meant but wanted to be certain. Two nations divided by a common lanuage!

I'm going to give them a spray later in the week as I've had a nightmare getting hold of Epsom Salts. They must be quite powerful/concentrated to only need 1/4 teaspoon for almost fout litres of water.

Latest posts

Top Bottom