yellowing bottom leaves.. need a doc please help!

• Thread starter shamaneurope
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
S

smokestack23

well if nothing else, you're in good hands. you have experts chiming-in all with great and accurate advice.
Two points stand out. Everyone seems to agree that your plants are not getting the required "food" for what could be a multitude of reasons. Either a pH imbalance, underfeeding, or a toxic lockout...OR...physical root problems.
The other point is that, as Seamaden said..while this is a science, we are dealing with living things so there is some "feel" involved and that's where a lot of different opinions can arise. It isn't like we're working on a car that needs a new battery or has a dead sparkplug.

What I find most fascinating about this thread is that we have several experienced people with very different opinions on what's going on..yet...we're all getting along. In TOO many threads here people start name calling and wanting to be RIGHT. WE are not wanting to be RIGHT...rather trying to help. That's somewhat rare around here.
Here's a wee test you can do...water your plants (or one) and as the water drains into the medium look to see if there are hundreds of larvae squirming around on the surface of the soil.
You have quite a few bugs that look like RAs to me. Whatever they are, they have to be coming from somewhere. Insects start out as eggs and then go through different stages of life. If they are starting-out their lives in your soil, those larvae need to eat and what they feast upon is your roots...well..and other organic matter.

Here's what I would do.
Look to see if you have larvae in the dirt. Whether you do or not, you still wanna get rid of the bugs. Depending on what they are..you will be able to get rid of them with the correct product.
In case it's a pH and or nutrient issue..I'd leach the pots (check pH and PPM of drainwater) with RO water and then give them a mild nutrient solution and give them a foliar spray.

If you take this approach, you should be able to eliminate the possibility of bugs, nute or pH issues. Of course you won't know exactly WHAT fixed them but..

If you get rid of the bugs and have no nute/pH problems and still have problems...take a closer look at your roots. Could be pathogens, rot...

Actually..if it were ME...I'd be taking a very close look at the roots. I still say bugs.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
It won't hurt to pull the plants, assuming there's enough of a rootball, to check.

Great post, smokestack. :)

S

shamaneurope

hey seamaiden.. no we certainly donot have a language barrier = ) i am just overwhelmed by the variety of problem definitions and solutions, cause its my first time growing...

i listened to you and bought a different PH test.. one of the plants was 7.1 and the others were 6.9... so i flushed them and now they are 6.5 fixed...

so first of all i am sorry for all the trouble i caused by giving the wrong reading (6.5) ... that reminds me not to use analog Ph meters ever again...

SO,

I did FLUSH my plants for the first time in 50 days...

today (7 hours ago) i had also did foiler spraying (contaning less then 1 mL solution of NPK 6:1:3 in 1 liters) well for you guys, not using the metering system its 0.00026 gallons for 0.26 gallons

i also will buy extra soil because the pots can use more...

the plants have a hight of 41cm - 54cm - 58cm and that is 18inch - 22inch - 25inch

SO,

I will start flowering in a few days... (12/12 cycle) and till then should I add any more solution to the soil? or just wait for the plants to calm down?

thanks for all your help... once again...

A

amstercal

Hey, shaman. I didn't mean to put your brain on lockdown. :-) I've seeen waaaaay worse than your plants come back to be happy healthy plants. MJ is amazing resilient. Definitely don't flower until they are healthy again. You can seriously diminish your yield. You want green happy girls before you flip the switch. It sounds like you're on the right track.
Since I think the problem lies with the roots for whatever the reason, foliar feeding will help them get what they need while the roots recover. I like the idea of flooding the soil to check for crawlies. However, and maybe this is just a soil thing, which I have the least experience with, but the root aphids I saw were in rockwool in hydroton. They didn't care if you flooded the hydroton. They were happy to live in the flooded area, and it was a BAD infestation. Really, tearing apart one that was heading for the trash bin anyway was the only way the grows I saw verified it was RA. This is however an extreme approach and I would only use it on a plant you'd given up on anyway or if you were worried the whole ship was going down, or if as seamaiden suggests, you can check it out without damaging the plant.
So I think now you've done the flush, a foliar feeding and some serious research to figure out what kind of bugs you have would be the next steps.

S

shamaneurope

i have done the flush... there were no larvas or eggs or anything in the water coming out... it was a bit yellowish and then it was transparent again... so the flush was over..

it seems like the yellowing had slowed down.. the plants look much more healthy..

i am continuing to spray...

now i give them 4 hours of darkness.. for them to prepare for the upcoming long nights = )

i think i will jump into flowering next week... thanks for all your help... was a good thread.. thats for sure..

will keep you guys posted!

sk

Hey, shaman. I didn't mean to put your brain on lockdown. :-) I've seeen waaaaay worse than your plants come back to be happy healthy plants. MJ is amazing resilient. Definitely don't flower until they are healthy again. You can seriously diminish your yield. You want green happy girls before you flip the switch. It sounds like you're on the right track.
Since I think the problem lies with the roots for whatever the reason, foliar feeding will help them get what they need while the roots recover. I like the idea of flooding the soil to check for crawlies. However, and maybe this is just a soil thing, which I have the least experience with, but the root aphids I saw were in rockwool in hydroton. They didn't care if you flooded the hydroton. They were happy to live in the flooded area, and it was a BAD infestation. Really, tearing apart one that was heading for the trash bin anyway was the only way the grows I saw verified it was RA. This is however an extreme approach and I would only use it on a plant you'd given up on anyway or if you were worried the whole ship was going down, or if as seamaiden suggests, you can check it out without damaging the plant.
So I think now you've done the flush, a foliar feeding and some serious research to figure out what kind of bugs you have would be the next steps.

Top Bottom