Yellowing/browning/spotty leaves during flower

• Thread starter Wzrdstck7
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Wzrdstck7

Wzrdstck7

Greetings, this is my first post here on the forums, so I hope I'm posting this in the correct place.

I'm currently growing in a 3x3x72 tent, 6" 395 CFM inline fan w/carbon filter, Yehsence 1500w LED light 24" above canopy. Temp is 75 to 82, humidity is 55 to 75. Strains are og kush, girl scout cookies and zkittlez, ALL are autoflowers on Day #54. In 5 gallon fabric pots with ocean forest. PH is 6.3 to 6.5. Started low stress training at about 10 inches and spread out branches a little bit/kept pulling the tops down through veg. Had just enough room now that they've all stopped most upward growth and are flowering out.

The Zkittlez overall has been kinda slow but has recently started to catch up. Overall health seems great to me, leaves are usually nice and perky and praying, even as I write this. But it does have some yellowing leaves that seem to brown up and dry. Eventually falling off. All on the bottom of canopy. Leaves get a little spotty sometimes. It has been fed veg nutes about 2 weeks ago fairly lightly and just got a small feeding of flower nutes after straight water for 2 weeks. I've attached photos of the 3 leaves I took off today and one of the plant itself (sorry for the pink).
20190719_111258.jpg
20190719_110642.jpg
. Not too worried about this one.

The girl scout cookies is having the same kind of thing going on as zkittlez but some of the upper leaves seem to be yellowing and possibly burned, crispy tips and some of the edges are crisping up and yellowing, some spottyness. She hasn't been fed in probably 1.5 to 2 weeks, just been giving her straight 6.5 ph water. Last feeding was with fox farm bloom nutes/advanced nutes calmag, medium strength so I figured the couple feedings I gave it would get it through flower because it's autoflower. Overall it seems healthy and upper growth seems fairly perky. Buds seem to be slowly putting on weight and trichomes with still 2 to 3 weeks to go.
20190719_111009.jpg
20190719_111005.jpg
20190719_110917.jpg
20190719_110902.jpg
20190719_110856.jpg

20190719_110822.jpg

And the the OG Kush has loved everything. Best lady in the bunch. Only thing is, it has had some twisting to the tips of some of the leaves. Some of them straighten out, some don't. But overall she has been one responsive, healthy, perky, praying girl and is smelling more and more fantastic. Putting on more and more weight every day. Getting another OG Kush auto going since this one is doing so well. Curious about the twisting leaf tips tho.
20190719_111318.jpg
20190719_111303.jpg
20190719_111314.jpg

Huge Thank You to anyone who takes the time to give me some insight as to what, if anything, may be ailing my ladies. Happy growing from Maine!

Last edited:
Wzrdstck7

Wzrdstck7

Oh and I should mention: light cycle is 18/6. This is my first time growing with good seeds and a good setup. All other times were successful but with varying degrees of success. So far, this is by far my best grow. This is a personal grow and I am a Maine Medical card holder.

R

RolandNiels

I recently had some troubles, because i was advised wrong from my local store.

This solved my problem diagnosing, might help you aswell.

Looks to me like Photassium or calcium / nitrogen defficiency just like i had (i didnt use Flora Micro at all)

KRuFnY4 1022x1024
oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

those plants look fine to me,how long did you veg? ocean forest is good for about 30 days without feed but if you water to a lot of drain off that could be closer to 20 days,like i said those look fine,there is no perfect world and your shit looks good to me,so that said try this,go to the hannah chart and see were you need to be with the stage of growth you are at,water or feed hold that number and increase as they grow,you have a slight tip burn,which tells me were ever or ppm count and ph of your water is just about right,that little burn says hey homie im just a tad bit high,so if your feeding say 750 ppm and it burned the tip drop it to 650 if you dig what im saying,personally i would do nothing to them but cut the effected leaves,you dont have to cut whole leave just the damage area,in soil whatever you did was about 3 days ago,it takes that long to find mistakes,hydro right then when you did something wrong,so i would cut the effected leaves and wait a couple days to see if it continues ,then i would do something

Wzrdstck7

Wzrdstck7

I recently had some troubles, because i was advised wrong from my local store.

This solved my problem diagnosing, might help you aswell.

Looks to me like Photassium or calcium / nitrogen defficiency just like i had (i didnt use Flora Micro at all)

I think you could be right friend. Thank you. I think the nitrogen could be from ocean forest having a good amount anyways, I did feed light nitrogen in veg and it is an autoflower. So veg was fast. Though I did give straight water for a bit before going to flower nutes. Hmm. Think in should t have given any nitrogen besides what's in my calmag. I switched recently to nectar of the gods #8 with a bit of living soil concentrate mix in on the bottom. Hoping to get through with just cal-mag and ph 6.5 water.

R

RolandNiels

I think you could be right friend. Thank you. I think the nitrogen could be from ocean forest having a good amount anyways, I did feed light nitrogen in veg and it is an autoflower. So veg was fast. Though I did give straight water for a bit before going to flower nutes. Hmm. Think in should t have given any nitrogen besides what's in my calmag. I switched recently to nectar of the gods #8 with a bit of living soil concentrate mix in on the bottom. Hoping to get through with just cal-mag and ph 6.5 water.

Looks to me a little of the combination of the 2, in a early (mid stage)

I have only grow 2 cycles of Autoflower, but i found the new ones, really like neutriants. I now feed ½ strength to the new, and it still shows it could use a bit more.

But your plant is beautiful.

Last edited:
Wzrdstck7

Wzrdstck7

those plants look fine to me,how long did you veg? ocean forest is good for about 30 days without feed but if you water to a lot of drain off that could be closer to 20 days,like i said those look fine,there is no perfect world and your shit looks good to me,so that said try this,go to the hannah chart and see were you need to be with the stage of growth you are at,water or feed hold that number and increase as they grow,you have a slight tip burn,which tells me were ever or ppm count and ph of your water is just about right,that little burn says hey homie im just a tad bit high,so if your feeding say 750 ppm and it burned the tip drop it to 650 if you dig what im saying,personally i would do nothing to them but cut the effected leaves,you dont have to cut whole leave just the damage area,in soil whatever you did was about 3 days ago,it takes that long to find mistakes,hydro right then when you did something wrong,so i would cut the effected leaves and wait a couple days to see if it continues ,then i would do something

They were in veg for like 5 to 6 weeks. Hard to tell with autoflowers cause they get those pre flowers at the end of veg. Didn't have a horrible amount of run off when I watered and tried to wait for 1 to 2 inches or so to dry up before i watered again. But I dig what you're saying for sure. I'll cut those damaged bits off and give her a minute before I do anything else.

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

They were in veg for like 5 to 6 weeks. Hard to tell with autoflowers cause they get those pre flowers at the end of veg. Didn't have a horrible amount of run off when I watered and tried to wait for 1 to 2 inches or so to dry up before i watered again. But I dig what you're saying for sure. I'll cut those damaged bits off and give her a minute before I do anything else.
best thing to do in my opinion,that way your not chasing rabbit and more times than not just letting them be they mend there selves,those plants look good to me,be higher than hell before you know it and that is the main goal,is for me anyway,hope i helped a bit.buy the way that little tip burn,happens every time with mine,thats how i judge were to feed them and as plant matures i up at small increments,5 to 6 weeks ya should have been feeding them so now you know right,the leaves mentioned is from it starting to scavage itself,so give it a few and see what gives with the bad stuff gone you will know in no time

Wzrdstck7

Wzrdstck7

Dark green and somewhat burnt tips suggests overfed to me, possibly locking out other nutrients. Not hard to do with an auto apparently.

Yeah I was thinking of just giving 6.5 ph water with maybe some cal-mag for the rest of flower. Figure it must have all the P and K it needs to finish?

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Yeah I was thinking of just giving 6.5 ph water with maybe some cal-mag for the rest of flower. Figure it must have all the P and K it needs to finish?

Swing by a garden center and see if you can get some calcium chloride, calcium gluconate, or gypsum. Any of those would be a better choice than calmag, but if you go calmag use a brand that doesnt use calcium nitrate for the Ca. That plant cant handle much more N.

Wzrdstck7

Wzrdstck7

Swing by a garden center and see if you can get some calcium chloride, calcium gluconate, or gypsum. Any of those would be a better choice than calmag, but if you go calmag use a brand that doesnt use calcium nitrate for the Ca. That plant cant handle much more N.

Thank you! I was worried about this. I was going to get Gen Hydro calimagic cause it's only 1 0 0 but that sounds like a much better bet. Have any good brands in mind?

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Thank you! I was worried about this. I was going to get Gen Hydro calimagic cause it's only 1 0 0 but that sounds like a much better bet. Have any good brands in mind?

Sorry my earlier post should have said calcium carbonate, not chloride. I use mainly bulk commercial calcium products that I also use for work, but from what I recall General Organics CaMg+ uses calcium carbonate.

Edinburgh

Edinburgh

Friend that is your problem your rel humidity or dew point should never go above 50 max, this makes your plants sweat and cause mold with that high humidity, in fact I'm surprised not to see major spotting, never let your tem go above 80f max, never let your rh go above 50 max , that is your problem you are experiencing with wild rh swings, in the summer and it is going to be 105f with rh in high 70s, real feel (rel hum) will feel like 120f unless u have an ac this will effect your grow, high heat #1 cause of popcorn bud, high 6th leads to mold and spots and sickly plants, the whole reason people grow indoors is beacuse the can control your environment, friend you need a fan on your plants at all times while the lights are on, you allso need an airconditoner, my temp is 78f my rh is 39 these are perfect environmental conditions to grow cannabis.

Wzrdstck7

Wzrdstck7

Sorry my earlier post should have said calcium carbonate, not chloride. I use mainly bulk commercial calcium products that I also use for work, but from what I recall General Organics CaMg+ uses calcium carbonate.

Looks like gen organica CaMg+ is 1-0-0. I haven't been able to find a calmag that isn't at least 1-0-0. Going to ask the people at the grow store near me tomorrow.

Wzrdstck7

Wzrdstck7

QUOTE="Edinburgh, post: 2271135, member: 102979"]
Friend that is your problem your rel humidity or dew point should never go above 50 max, this makes your plants sweat and cause mold with that high humidity, in fact I'm surprised not to see major spotting, never let your tem go above 80f max, never let your rh go above 50 max , that is your problem you are experiencing with wild rh swings, in the summer and it is going to be 105f with rh in high 70s, real feel (rel hum) will feel like 120f unless u have an ac this will effect your grow, high heat #1 cause of popcorn bud, high 6th leads to mold and spots and sickly plants, the whole reason people grow indoors is beacuse the can control your environment, friend you need a fan on your plants at all times while the lights are on, you allso need an airconditoner, my temp is 78f my rh is 39 these are perfect environmental conditions to grow cannabis.
[/QUOTE]

I have a fan blowing above the canopy and a small one underneath not directed at the canopy moving air. My temp has mostly been below 80 lately. The humidty has been the tough one. It's all over the place in the northeast, there's an old basement right below me to doesn't help. Just got a dehumidifier and a/c. Still working out the timer/settings on dehumidifier. It's been better since I got it. But you are %100 correct, humidity has been a huge struggle for me. Hopefully it's under control.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

QUOTE="Edinburgh, post: 2271135, member: 102979"]

I have a fan blowing above the canopy and a small one underneath not directed at the canopy moving air. My temp has mostly been below 80 lately. The humidty has been the tough one. It's all over the place in the northeast, there's an old basement right below me to doesn't help. Just got a dehumidifier and a/c. Still working out the timer/settings on dehumidifier. It's been better since I got it. But you are %100 correct, humidity has been a huge struggle for me. Hopefully it's under control.
[/QUOTE]

Best to dehumidify the basement for everyones health. Plants and humans.

Wzrdstck7

Wzrdstck7

[/QUOTE]
Best to dehumidify the basement for everyones health. Plants and humans.
[/QUOTE]

Would if I could. Technically not allowed down there, per my landlord. I just try to treat the air in my apartment. I have been down there and doesn't seem moldy or anything.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter

No offense but I dont think that's his problem. Hiis ranges arent ideal but they aren't that bad, and the signs I'm seeing on his plants are not related to mold or "sweating" at all, they just look overfed.
I do agree that air circulation is important and the environment could be a bit better, but I dont think that's his problem here.

Top Bottom