Yellowing from bottom up help. Week 5 flower.

• Thread starter Solarscar
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Solarscar

Solarscar

Hello farmers! Glad to join the forum. Looks like there is lots of seasoned growers.

I’m currently starting week five of flower and one of my 4 plants (a tad on another) is starting to yellow some from the bottom up. There is also a general lighter green on the plant. I am curious as what this may be? I am ph’ing my tap water to 6.8 and using fox farms trio once a week at 1/2 to 1/4 strength when following their guide online. Should I let these plants ride this out for another 4 weeks or should I look into this? The issue has only progressed slowly for the past 10 days or so. I attached a photo of my grow. The problem plant is at the back right. I attached a photo of a yellowing/light green bottom plant leaf and a light green leaf further up the plant. Any ideas or suggestions is appreciated! Happy growing!

Yellowing from bottom up help week 5 flower
Yellowing from bottom up help week 5 flower 2
AlfaDog

AlfaDog

Since immobile elements do not easily move within the plant, when deficiency symptoms occur they show up in new growth . When mobile elements become limiting, they can be scavenged from older growth and moved to where they are most needed, causing deficiency symptoms in older growth

This is a copy past but couldn't say it better I assume you are doing a good job with everything and just that you are in flower and most growth and energy is going into bud sites and not really foliage the green at the top is very nice i usually like to push my plants with the nutes to know how resilient they are since I have dedicated mothers and I'm always cloning them for steady quality so I use this info for future crops.might just need to supplement abit more nutes but everything seems normal your almost there. So you could push them atleast I'd say half strength but they might be able to take more just watch for any signs of nute burn

Solarscar

Solarscar

Since immobile elements do not easily move within the plant, when deficiency symptoms occur they show up in new growth . When mobile elements become limiting, they can be scavenged from older growth and moved to where they are most needed, causing deficiency symptoms in older growth

This is a copy past but couldn't say it better I assume you are doing a good job with everything and just that you are in flower and most growth and energy is going into bud sites and not really foliage the green at the top is very nice i usually like to push my plants with the nutes to know how resilient they are since I have dedicated mothers and I'm always cloning them for steady quality so I use this info for future crops.might just need to supplement abit more nutes but everything seems normal your almost there. So you could push them atleast I'd say half strength but they might be able to take more just watch for any signs of nute burn
Right on. I pulled them out yesterday to flush and feed. It had been a week since feeding so I went ahead and added 1/4-1/2 strength nutes (used the ff big bloom and tiger bloom) I added an additional 2 tsp of epsoms as well into the 5 gallon mixing bucket. Ph’ed to 6.7 and and warmed the mixture to about 75 degrees. Went to take a gander at them a bit ago and they seem good except for mentioned yellowing from bottom up has moved up a bit.

I’m on day 32 (starting week 6 in 3 days) of flower and got a good 30 more days left at least. Is it fairly safe to let them ride out the remaining days with water only until finish?

appreciate the feedback 👍

154024CE 2F9C 4708 AA35 B2445FE1515E
A8D0BBD3 2A3E 4C4E B825 148498B96C02
6799191D F165 463B 822C 691F252E1640
1448A843 2B7E 46C6 93D9 9208D9B31968
B12F8AA5 3AAB 4660 A9D5 326694F56DEF
AlfaDog

AlfaDog

30 days without nutes is kinda long your prop gonna sacrifice yeild and perhaps quality it's like depriving yourself food fat might take only so far and it's down hill from there let them live a good life (feed them nutes) and around day 42 or latest 1 1/2 weeks not earlier before cutting when you see trichomes 50% clear 50% milky by the end of the 2 weeks you should be 100%and if not keep going until with straight water until good luck champ hope to see the final product😉

AlfaDog

AlfaDog

And because the plants even in flower still needs and uses nitrogen it's the base nutrients that's why the top of the plant is stealing from the bottom so if you stop prob all the plant will turn pale and there's so much the plant needs from NPK to the sugars for energy bloom booster to fatten up cal mag to help uptake just keep going as I mentioned in previous post

elduderito

elduderito

I would definitely continue to feed... day 35 of flower is generally when I start adding full strength bloom booster (biobizz top max) and getting up to the max strength of bloom ferts (bio bloom) if the plant needs/wants it ... I feed only water for the last 7-10 days -- which ends up being when the buds stop growing/swelling and are in their final ripening phase.... often the leaf fade/senescence begins before I've reduced the feeding - leading me to believe the plant benefits from having these fan leaves to pull mobile nutrients during the end off flowering... I think maybe your plant could have benefited from less defoliation

Solarscar

Solarscar

Good deal. Thank you much 🙏

yes, I defoliated the crap out of them, leaving some bigger fan leaves as indicators/food source. I agree I defoliated too much, thus not giving me much of a food buffer. 😐

I had a full plant session yesterday with flushing and very light feeding. I am also thinking I need to step up the nutes. Next watering is in about three days. I will update all posts regarding this grow on my end results! 👍

AlfaDog

AlfaDog

I would definitely continue to feed... day 35 of flower is generally when I start adding full strength bloom booster (biobizz top max) and getting up to the max strength of bloom ferts (bio bloom) if the plant needs/wants it ... I feed only water for the last 7-10 days -- which ends up being when the buds stop growing/swelling and are in their final ripening phase.... often the leaf fade/senescence begins before I've reduced the feeding - leading me to believe the plant benefits from having these fan leaves to pull mobile nutrients during the end off flowering... I think maybe your plant could have benefited from less defoliation
The defoliation is acceptable and is needed for air circulation but he would have only had more yellowing around day 21 the plant stops stretching and yes has some foliage production of course but focusing on cola production why continue giving that lower foliage any attention or where it might block sites that could still profit when the plant can use it else where his foliage will still continue

20210920 213147
20210920 213015
20210925 212504
20210925 212514
20210925 212444
20211014 213056
20211025 205336
20211025 205344
Solarscar

Solarscar

The defoliation is acceptable and is needed for air circulation but he would have only had more yellowing around day 21 the plant stops stretching and yes has some foliage production of course but focusing on cola production why continue giving that lower foliage any attention or where it might block sites that could still profit when the plant can use it else where his foliage will still continue
Your grow looks awesome!

I did stay on top of that defoliation early in veg up until the stretch was done in early flower. I did wonder if I had removed to much. As alphadog mentioned, I did expose all flowering sites below (and even partially blocked sites) and was super adamant about getting air flow as pm isn’t something I want to deal with 100%

would you guys suggest using more pk nutes? I had been using them at 1/2 strength and lowered to 1/4 to 1/2 when I started flower.

I had been watering in my nutes every second watering. I’ve been letting my containers get 75 percent dry before watering which is about 3-4 days. Then I water in nutes the following 3-4 days later (and repeat 🤪)

trying to get the timing down so my plants can do a proper and pretty fade until the end!

Last edited:
Solarscar

Solarscar

hey alphadog 👋

is that a current grow?
what strain?
what week are you at?

I’m growing Blue Dream.

I flipped December 1st after a 10 week veg.

What brand is that fan you have circulating your grow? Is it oscillating? I have two small clip on hurricanes but ended up needing a floor fan to keep a good wind in there and will be grabbing another fan next week (along with an exhaust fan and filter)

*edit* you have a Hurricane…. A big one at that… gonna check it out.

🎸🤘

Last edited:
AlfaDog

AlfaDog

It's a 16inch hurrican super 8 oscillating wall fan its a lil strong for the room that's why I have it way up but late into flower the plants handle it no problem and to be honest I don't flush much I go with what the plants can handle not to the point they get burned but sometimes with the genetics I run for awhile what they can take so from day 1 I always feed untill 10% run off that's how you make sure you don't get buildup of minerals or soil with too much excess nutrients kinda prevents future issues and I always feed untill 2 weeks before chop unless theres a reson excess flushing or not needed flushing creates deficiency or may result in your plants stealing nutrients from the lower foliage. As you see growing is like playing "guess who" when trying to find issues do the elimination untill you find the problem 😉

Solarscar

Solarscar

It's a 16inch hurrican super 8 oscillating wall fan its a lil strong for the room that's why I have it way up but late into flower the plants handle it no problem and to be honest I don't flush much I go with what the plants can handle not to the point they get burned but sometimes with the genetics I run for awhile what they can take so from day 1 I always feed untill 10% run off that's how you make sure you don't get buildup of minerals or soil with too much excess nutrients kinda prevents future issues and I always feed untill 2 weeks before chop unless theres a reson excess flushing or not needed flushing creates deficiency or may result in your plants stealing nutrients from the lower foliage. As you see growing is like playing "guess who" when trying to find issues do the elimination untill you find the problem 😉
That is no doubt. When scoping my plants I have a “Now What” mentality when looking at them. Looks like I will be feeding at least 2-3 more times before letting them ride until the end.

my clip on are mounted high up, gonna move them so the are blowing through the lower, branch section of my plants then get one of them oscillating ones for top canopy recirculation.

your grow looks great!

thank you for your recommendations 💯
I will take those to heart.

Bullmark69

Bullmark69

I am having similar issues with my plants...they are autos however, and a little further along. I do use the Fox farms trio and was feeding extremely light amounts a few weeks into flower when the yellowing started. I was told by many that they were hungry....real hungry. Feed those things!
I probably over reacted and gave a full strength dose two waterings in a row. I think I got some nute burn on a few newer sugar leaves....although the jury is 50/50 between nute burn and light burn. I’m running a HLG 320xl and it’s taking some getting used to.
At the time I had it on full intensity and the distance was around 20” from the top of the affected cola.
I decided to cover my bases and raised the light a few inches and dimmed it to around 80-85%. Mine will need watering tomorrow for sure and I plan on a light dose of Big Bloom only. It’s kinda diluted and all organic....so I’m going with the “reduction of harm” approach.
The plan is to titrate the Big Bloom over the next 4-5 waterings and that should get me close to the finish line.
I think your plants look great and as long as the buds are progressing I wouldn’t fret. My experience has shown that nothing positive has ever resulted from heavy doses of bottled nutes. Good luck.

SativaBob

SativaBob

Your plants are looking good!!

I have been dealing with the same issue. I'm a new grower as of last spring and all the reading I did at the time said to cut back on N a week or so after you flip to flower. I did that with my first run and they started yellowing around week 4. I started to give more ff grow big along with the tiger bloom and big bloom until week 6, which seemed to slow down the rate of yellowing, then I stopped the grow big. In the end the flowers were great and all went well. The sugar leaves were always nice and green and the flowers always looked good too.

I'm in my 2nd and 3rd grow now and this time I decided to keep up with the grow big well into week 6 but I'm still having a little week 4 and 5 yellowing with 2 of the 3; not as bad as last time but still happening. The odd one out is doing just find and has been the whole grow.

I'm using the fox farm trio a little above recommended strength after some trial and error. I'm not really getting any nute burn so I've kept increasing the N. Been feeding them Bush doctor calmag and recharge as well which does seem to slow down the yellowing. My plan is to keep it going and change 1 or 2 things each grow and see if anything helps. This is my last run of this current strain so hopefully the next ones will be different.

It's interesting to read everyone's comments and experiences to help diagnose these issues. Grow on!

Solarscar

Solarscar

Just wanted to pop in to this thread to give an update. Someone may find this useful in the future right?

I waited for my pots to dry out completely (4 days from water) as I had previously flushed them with ph’ed water with a tad of epsoms (1/2 teaspoons per gallon).

I watered them again 24 hrs ago with PH’ed water to 6.6 and supplemented with cal-mag at 3/4 strength and 1/2 strength tiger bloom and 3/4 strength big bloom. I will feed one more time next week with 3/4 strength big bloom and cal-mag at 1/2 strength then switch to ph’ed water only for the remaining weeks.

I have been running this grow with nothing but ph’ed tap water and the fox farm trio (at 1/4 to 1/3 strength) up until I added some epsoms and cal-mag

I really didn’t want to add excessive nitrogen, but figured since the cal-mag has some in there and also the fox farm trio (using week 8 according to there trio feed schedule) that it wouldn’t hurt. I try to run them with love by breathing on them, not force feeding so much.

So the yellowing of my leaves from the bottom up would spread to a new leaf every day or so. I started week 6 of flower yesterday (from flip) so this yellowing is totally normal. Apparently these plants shut off any external sources of nitrogen and begin to modulate it better by using the amount needed from their own fan leaves. I’m not trying to win any cannabis cups or photo shoots so yellowing ain’t a big deal. I want quality home grown for me and my peeps. 🥳

7490A98D 0531 496D 9012 B2A77D4C38B7
080ADD97 742C 4C67 94E3 1C9810E231BD
AlfaDog

AlfaDog

Just wanted to pop in to this thread to give an update. Someone may find this useful in the future right?

I waited for my pots to dry out completely (4 days from water) as I had previously flushed them with ph’ed water with a tad of epsoms (1/2 teaspoons per gallon).

I watered them again 24 hrs ago with PH’ed water to 6.6 and supplemented with cal-mag at 3/4 strength and 1/2 strength tiger bloom and 3/4 strength big bloom. I will feed one more time next week with 3/4 strength big bloom and cal-mag at 1/2 strength then switch to ph’ed water only for the remaining weeks.

I have been running this grow with nothing but ph’ed tap water and the fox farm trio (at 1/4 to 1/3 strength) up until I added some epsoms and cal-mag

I really didn’t want to add excessive nitrogen, but figured since the cal-mag has some in there and also the fox farm trio (using week 8 according to there trio feed schedule) that it wouldn’t hurt. I try to run them with love by breathing on them, not force feeding so much.

So the yellowing of my leaves from the bottom up would spread to a new leaf every day or so. I started week 6 of flower yesterday (from flip) so this yellowing is totally normal. Apparently these plants shut off any external sources of nitrogen and begin to modulate it better by using the amount needed from their own fan leaves. I’m not trying to win any cannabis cups or photo shoots so yellowing ain’t a big deal. I want quality home grown for me and my peeps. 🥳
Very nice well done champ💯💯💯

Bullmark69

Bullmark69

Great job on the watering…..it’s takes some self control to let things get to the right time to water/feed again.
My eyes aren’t the greatest but it looks like you’ve got a good 4 weeks for things to totally ripen up…..maybe longer….u won’t know until u get there.
I would consider titrating down your nutes right up until the last watering…..those buds will really change in a good way over the final 3-4 weeks…..assuming they haven’t been chopped too early.
Having sufficient nutrition available during this final and most telling growth spurt is key. I won’t open up the entire flushing VS not flushing debate….this more of a making sure there is gas in the tank when there are still a few miles to the finish line.
The big bloom is organic and heavily diluted. I don’t like the idea of heavy amounts of chemicals in anything I consume, so I’d axe the tiger bloom….it’s strong stuff.
Me personally, with a month to go I’d titrate something like Buddha Buds, which is organic, less diluted than Big Bloom, and has a small percentage of N……which the plant needs, even at that late stage, albeit in much smaller amounts.
I’d run the Buddha Buds, titrating down each feeding, until the last feeding or 2 and hit it with the Big bloom (no N)……then if your buds are ready, you can water (only) the piss out of it, and put it in darkness or just let it dry out….whatever you prefer….then it’s chop chop.
I don’t mean to discourage you from doing things your way. You have some great looking plants and have grown them like a champ up until this point. I just know how much those buds will change over the next month IF they have the proper nutrients.
The change will blow your mind….in a good way. Good luck and you’ve got some lucky friends.

AlfaDog

AlfaDog

hey alphadog 👋

is that a current grow?
what strain?
what week are you at?

I’m growing Blue Dream.

I flipped December 1st after a 10 week veg.

What brand is that fan you have circulating your grow? Is it oscillating? I have two small clip on hurricanes but ended up needing a floor fan to keep a good wind in there and will be grabbing another fan next week (along with an exhaust fan and filter)

*edit* you have a Hurricane…. A big one at that… gonna check it out.

🎸🤘
This is my current grow I have 3 pheno types of Gelato just performed a defoliation day 21

Solarscar

Solarscar

This is my current grow I have 3 pheno types of Gelato just performed a defoliation day 21
That’s the way to do it. Looking super nice. Tons of colas. Looks like you are gonna be harvesting a few lbs. in short time. 🥳

Solarscar

Solarscar

Great job on the watering…..it’s takes some self control to let things get to the right time to water/feed again.
My eyes aren’t the greatest but it looks like you’ve got a good 4 weeks for things to totally ripen up…..maybe longer….u won’t know until u get there.
I would consider titrating down your nutes right up until the last watering…..those buds will really change in a good way over the final 3-4 weeks…..assuming they haven’t been chopped too early.
Having sufficient nutrition available during this final and most telling growth spurt is key. I won’t open up the entire flushing VS not flushing debate….this more of a making sure there is gas in the tank when there are still a few miles to the finish line.
The big bloom is organic and heavily diluted. I don’t like the idea of heavy amounts of chemicals in anything I consume, so I’d axe the tiger bloom….it’s strong stuff.
Me personally, with a month to go I’d titrate something like Buddha Buds, which is organic, less diluted than Big Bloom, and has a small percentage of N……which the plant needs, even at that late stage, albeit in much smaller amounts.
I’d run the Buddha Buds, titrating down each feeding, until the last feeding or 2 and hit it with the Big bloom (no N)……then if your buds are ready, you can water (only) the piss out of it, and put it in darkness or just let it dry out….whatever you prefer….then it’s chop chop.
I don’t mean to discourage you from doing things your way. You have some great looking plants and have grown them like a champ up until this point. I just know how much those buds will change over the next month IF they have the proper nutrients.
The change will blow your mind….in a good way. Good luck and you’ve got some lucky friends.
Right on and thank you. I went ahead and watered in some pk at 1/3 strength and cal-mag at 1/2 strength. I probably should of been adding a little epsoms to each feeding. I hear they love the sulphur in it and supposedly the cannabanoids really ripen up with more colorful aromas with more sulphur.

Top Bottom