Yield help needed from the pros!

• Thread starter wreign
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Anthem

Anthem

Thanks. Yes thats what Im pulling right now 600grams per 4x5. per 1000watt DE. but isnt that low? Im not into growing garbage. I want to grow quality herb I just didnt think .8gram per watt is so hard to achieve. Obviously theres a learning curve but lots of ppl are bragging of 2lbs per light like its an every day thing...i though something wrong with me.
There are a lot of people stating they get 2 per light and some even say 3 per light. My best to date is around 2.75 per light. But it is subjective. Even with full environmental controls and CO2 with 640 watt LED's it is hard to get to 2.75 per light every time. If fact it is hit and miss. I recently ran Oreoz for example, 6 plants and I barely got 460 grams of trimmed flower. By the same token I ran Cheeta Piss and got over 2 pounds out of 8 plants. Needless to say Oreoz is on the chopping block. That clone came from tissue culture so not much else I can say out that but just and example of yield and strains.
My opinion is this. Genetics are going to dictate the potential of the plant. I have only ran across a select few strains that will crank out high quality and high yields. All have been clones, I have never found a winner in seeds.
So genetics is #1 in my opinion.
#2 would be environment. Temperatures and humidity are critical to increasing yields. You high temperatures are definitely a limiting factor with HPS. I believe you want to be right around 78 lights on during flower and I would secondly focus on your VPD and get that managed correctly.
#3. Would be nutrients. I keep it simple and I run jacks. Lastly look into adding beneficial microbes and folvic acid to your grows as well as monosilic acid.

So random thoughts. When was the last time you changed to new bulbs? My understanding is they degrade over about 6 months. Also running them as different out puts is not good so I have been told this also degrades the bulb faster. Are you using double ended or single ended as this also makes a difference.

Anthem

Anthem

Average top brand HPS 1.7ųmol/j

Lm301b quantum board leds claiming up to 2.9ųmol/j efficiency? Idk about how leds vs hps compares but ur bill will drop
Yes the Umol is not the same but HPS does have a couple advantages. The one I find to be most beneficial is light penetration with HPS.

wreign

wreign

There are a lot of people stating they get 2 per light and some even say 3 per light. My best to date is around 2.75 per light. But it is subjective. Even with full environmental controls and CO2 with 640 watt LED's it is hard to get to 2.75 per light every time. If fact it is hit and miss. I recently ran Oreoz for example, 6 plants and I barely got 460 grams of trimmed flower. By the same token I ran Cheeta Piss and got over 2 pounds out of 8 plants. Needless to say Oreoz is on the chopping block. That clone came from tissue culture so not much else I can say out that but just and example of yield and strains.
My opinion is this. Genetics are going to dictate the potential of the plant. I have only ran across a select few strains that will crank out high quality and high yields. All have been clones, I have never found a winner in seeds.
So genetics is #1 in my opinion.
#2 would be environment. Temperatures and humidity are critical to increasing yields. You high temperatures are definitely a limiting factor with HPS. I believe you want to be right around 78 lights on during flower and I would secondly focus on your VPD and get that managed correctly.
#3. Would be nutrients. I keep it simple and I run jacks. Lastly look into adding beneficial microbes and folvic acid to your grows as well as monosilic acid.

So random thoughts. When was the last time you changed to new bulbs? My understanding is they degrade over about 6 months. Also running them as different out puts is not good so I have been told this also degrades the bulb faster. Are you using double ended or single ended as this also makes a difference.
Thank you. Lights are doubles. I am measuring the PPFD throughout the cycle so far no degradation. Have run them for about 7-8 months but only half that time at 95% capacity. I figure I have another 1-2 crops in them left.
I think I should put my priority to #1 and #3 as my #2 is decent.

Johnlandy420

Johnlandy420

Supporter

Having some realistic expectations is the first step. Second step is your controlled variables - VPD, grower, genetics etc. Your veg times do seem to be insanely long.

"one option is to water less but more frequently, maybe downsize pots to 5 gal so they dryback faster and water daily" the general rule of thumb is larger pots = larger plants = larger yields.

You should also be getting your lights close or at their max intensity while in the peak of veg and slowly taper off near the end of flower. That's how it is in the real world. You want 1.5g/w and above then switch to LED :)
Mind just broke. I should be max intensity peak Veg? I hit peak intensity week 2 flower. What exactly do you mean? 🌱❤️

Shaded_One

Shaded_One

Mind just broke. I should be max intensity peak Veg? I hit peak intensity week 2 flower. What exactly do you mean? 🌱❤️

In nature, cannabis plants are under the most intense DLI/PPFD while still in vegetative states. As the hours of sunlight per day drops/becomes less and less the DLI also drops respectively as the plants shift into the flower phase. I believe Bugbee has gone over this in one or two of his videos that cannabis plants in vegetative state can take an alarmingly high DLI/PPFD assuming all other factors are locked in. If I can find it I will come back here and link it.

Speaking from my own experience, I push my highest light intensity 2-3 weeks before I even get to flower and then typically maintain that intensity for the first 4-6 weeks of flower and then I will start to taper down the intensity near the last few weeks.

Right around 32:48 Bugbee talks about the photons and ppfd that plants are exposed to in nature. 30-40 DLI is the sweet spot imo.

And here's another:
26:40 is when he starts discussing light levels for clones and seedlings.

Last edited:
Top Bottom