You gotta start somewhere.....

• Thread starter Liberanos5
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
L

Liberanos5

I'm transitioning over from the reef aquarium hobby to indoor gardening. A lot of the science already applies re: pH, calcium, water quality and such. I have a 25 gal/day Kent Marine RO/DI filter and a 55 gal Coca Cola syrup (food grade) drum as a resevoir, a Hamilton Technology hood with 2 actinic blue VHOs and 2 metal halides with accompanying ballasts. My corals loved those lights and it seems my 11 seedlings (unknown genetics free from a friend of a friend so I can experiment, they appear to be Indica at this early stage of the game) seem to love them too. In aquariums lights are most often spoken of by their temp. in degrees Kelvin. In this realm it's lumens per square foot. Why is that? The seedlings come inside @ 5Pm when the "free" light is low in the sky and go under the lights until 9:30 pm then total dark till 3am and back outside for sun at 9:30. As an avid outdoor gardener and mad skills composting my grow medium is home made with a generous "dash" of pearlite. and some 20-20-20 twice a week as a snack. I'm trying not to make one the worst noobie mistake by over feeding. For all I know I will get all males or all hermaphrodites....we'll see. If not I am hoping for a nice solid base hit and one mother I can clone from. I have learned quickly that hydroponic stores are a snake oil salesman's wet dream. (pauses to think about Jamie Lee Curtis) Funny! Some aquariums stores are the same exact way! LOL! That's my Cliff's Notes story. I still have 3 germinated seeds in GroDan cubes. My next social security check will go partly to more advanced air circulation/cleansing as the whole thing somes inside before the first frost. With all the "High Times" centerfold type pics on here I'm shy to upload my humble beginnings.....maybe tomorrow! Is there such a thing as a 6" hole saw? Visiting renter centers today to find out. Great sight....mostly I just lurk here and take notes. Thanks to all!

jagle

jagle

lights with weed are talked about as lumens or watts a square foot, thats because for a decent return we wanna have X amount of light in Y amount of space, but dont be fooled, we use blue spectrum, 6500k for veg, and red spectrum 2700k for flower

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
So, wait... are you getting rid of your reef tank? I used to work the trade, spent a LOT of time on RDO (met my husband there), know a few peeps in the industry and/or in public aquariums still.

I do believe there *is* such a thing as a 6" hole saw. Just think, you can make use of all your sump knowledge now!

As for why people on canna-forums use a different set of terms, it has everything to do with the people peopling the boards. The folks who are keeping reef are just generally different than those growing weed. You are far more likely to find scientists, for example, on a reefkeeping site than you are on a canna-site, and far less likely to run into thugs on a reefkeeping site than a canna-site.

P.S. Love your thread title. Points for originality.

L

Liberanos5

So, wait... are you getting rid of your reef tank? I used to work the trade, spent a LOT of time on RDO (met my husband there), know a few peeps in the industry and/or in public aquariums still.

I do believe there *is* such a thing as a 6" hole saw. Just think, you can make use of all your sump knowledge now!

As for why people on canna-forums use a different set of terms, it has everything to do with the people peopling the boards. The folks who are keeping reef are just generally different than those growing weed. You are far more likely to find scientists, for example, on a reefkeeping site than you are on a canna-site, and far less likely to run into thugs on a reefkeeping site than a canna-site.

P.S. Love your thread title. Points for originality.
Well @ the risk of some TOS violation I'l go way off topic for a second since you asked....I'm scaling back my reef a LOT. Soft corals urchins the usual janitor crew one yellow tang, one fox face rabbit, brittle stars but no more SPS coral. Flora is so much more forgiving than fauna when my animal husbandry hiccups! Now If I could grow pot (does that term date me? Tommy Chong was 11 when I was born! :rolleyes:) in a REFUGIUM I'd be a super star on here.....but I need something new to do. You're right....no thugs on fish tank boards! Very funny observation! I haul water in an Instant Ocean bucket!!! OK THIS will really date me...the first # deal I ever did was $100. And at todays prices there was $57,384.99 worth of seeds in it, a lotta sticks and rest was shake that smelled like a cat had peed on it. Ahhh! Memories! Listening to "The Doors" on vinyl. Enough! I'm gonna cry now!!! Thank you for the kind words. I'm no scientist by any means but I do know who Eric Borneman and Robert Fenner are and have read their books and many others over and over. I'll go now before I break rule #4 and say anything "patently ridiculous!" Life is too short to take everything seriously. Have a peaceful day!
Pablito

L

Liberanos5

So far so good!!!!
000 0026

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Well @ the risk of some TOS violation I'l go way off topic for a second since you asked....I'm scaling back my reef a LOT. Soft corals urchins the usual janitor crew one yellow tang, one fox face rabbit, brittle stars but no more SPS coral. Flora is so much more forgiving than fauna when my animal husbandry hiccups! Now If I could grow pot (does that term date me? Tommy Chong was 11 when I was born! :rolleyes:) in a REFUGIUM I'd be a super star on here.....but I need something new to do. You're right....no thugs on fish tank boards! Very funny observation! I haul water in an Instant Ocean bucket!!! OK THIS will really date me...the first # deal I ever did was $100. And at todays prices there was $57,384.99 worth of seeds in it, a lotta sticks and rest was shake that smelled like a cat had peed on it. Ahhh! Memories! Listening to "The Doors" on vinyl. Enough! I'm gonna cry now!!! Thank you for the kind words. I'm no scientist by any means but I do know who Eric Borneman and Robert Fenner are and have read their books and many others over and over. I'll go now before I break rule #4 and say anything "patently ridiculous!" Life is too short to take everything seriously. Have a peaceful day!
Pablito

If you know Bob, then you know me. I've known BobF since.... 1991 or so, have written extensively for both WWM crew and helped with the Natural Marine Aquarium--Reef Invertebrates that he and Anthony Calfo wrote. If only things between them hadn't gone south, or we'd have gotten at least the second of the three-book series done. I helped with editing and the glossary was entirely my creation. :)

So, kinda funny thing about me: I have a MUCH easier time keeping reef than I do growing indoors. Can you believe that?

Ayup.

L

Liberanos5

Well meet me in Sept. for our return trip to Beqa Lagoon and we can swim in an "aquarium" you will not even believe and I'll buy you and the Mr. a frosty cold Fijian beer!. It has ruined diving for my bride and I as the bar is now set IMPOSSIBLY high. Makes the Blue Herron Bridge (which we LOVE) look like an unflushed toilet. To keep this on topic I'm glad Salifert testing kits come with that nice 5ml "measuring device" so I can mix up some Atami Rootbastic by adding 1ml to onc gallon for nice RO/DI (+R.O. Right) agua!! Talk about your snake oil. LOL!! We'll see! 3 GroDan cubes popped for me today and I was sure they were all hype. Guess not. I love it when I'm wrong!! Its' 100 degrees here right now and that free UV radiation is falling from the sky BIG TIME. My seedlings are loving that. I'm loving the PRICE....speaking of that my electric bill is ALREADY stupid from the tank so what's a couple more lights and fans eh??? Gotta go do a 5 gal water change.............L8R!
Cordailly,
Pablito

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Have you dived Bali, the Bali Sea at all (north coast)? Tauch Terminal is right by the wreck of the Liberty, sunk during the war, and it's pretty much the best diving I've done. Of course, I've only dived a few tropical sites, Puerto Rico, Bali, Guam (on the USN base, which is pretty good diving, but still not as good as Bali) and the southern California coast. I've never dived other areas of the Caribbean or South Pacific, and missed my last best chance to dive the Red Sea when Mr. Fenner and crew went to an Interzoo show in.... now I can't remember where in Germany its held. Anyway, what could be more fun than a trade show in Germany and a week long dive trip at the Red Sea in Egypt afterward? I begged out because it was during one of my sons' birthday.

I don't think I can do a beach dive anymore, not with my knee still so weak and all. Sorry for the musing! You're going to enjoy this cannabis cultivation thing, I guarantee you, and you might be surprised to see all the fish-heads that are also potheads coming out of the woodwork.

It's cooled off quite a bit where I am, but everyone's doing ok. The peppers and other warm weather-loving plants slow down a good bit when it gets like this. I need to find my green plant tape, I've still got quite a few tomatoes that need tying off, not to mention some cannabis.

Btw, nice tank! ;)

L

Liberanos5

Oh thanks it's a 75 gal. with a refugium blah blah blah..........LOL!!! A manageable size for a man of meager means such as myself!! Hey, I'm not sure what a "well known farmer" is but for some reason it makes me think of those 2 guys on the Ocean Spray Cranberry Juice commercials..buuuut. I'm guessing the scale has to do with time on the board or number of posts or something, buuuut.... I had a few stretchers pop up and in a thinking outside the grow medium moment thought.....if before I bury these stems under another inch of soil what if I put a brand new blade in my x-acto knife and with my magnifying glass pierced the stem in a few places then with a tiny paint brush (we have many as my bride is a big fan of Bob Ross, rest his gentlle soul) painted on some rooting gel over the TINY piercings before burying them would more roots appear? I can't beleive I'm the first person to think of this. And since I'm only using "bag seeds" what's the risk? I slaughter a poor defenseless plant with only 2 cotyledon leaves and 2 true leaves? Feh!! This experiment is under way. It's all about the roots taking up nutrients after all, right? Lotta roots = good! Too few roots = bad! Isn't that so!!?? I'll update you as if you're interested!! LOL!! :rolleyes: I'm also dreaming up a DIY carbon filter using aquarium activated charcoal. So far I doubt I can same much moneyeven if i got the carbon by the casee wholesale. Hey!!! You got pals in the tank trade right??? Never mind!!! I am not soliciting. I read the TOS!!! L8R! Bali Sea?? On a live aboard?? Ohhhh mannnnnnnnnnnnnnn!!! Is there a drool happy face----------->it goes here ----------> 8- )-----
Pablito

L

Liberanos5

Hey Seamaiden!!! Dolomite? Aragonite? It's all limestone isn't it?? I have a few bags of aragonite I was just going to dump into next years compost and rototill it in adding alkalinity to the soil. Good idea? Bad idea? Also I always rince out my protein skimmer sludge into the compost. These 2 hobbies go together like peas and carrots, eh?
Merci Bien!
Pablito

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Not quite, you need to look at the actual chemical formulation. It's been a long time since I've looked at aragonite. Make sure your soil actually needs the 'sweetening' it would get with the addition of any kind of lime. After that, I would make sure it's relatively NaCl-free, though small amounts aren't harmful.

What's your lean, your bend? Organics or chemical salts? Do you have a grow thread going on, or is this it?

By the by, don't worry about how the seedlings stretch. They just do it, some worse than others. Some flop over, some don't, they ALL find their way back to the light. You may be able to get roots going, but because it's such a young plant there's this whole concoction of hormones flowing that aren't when it's more mature, so...? I don't know what you'll get or if it will make a difference, but it sounds like a pain in the ass. Ha!

I used to know a man we called Pablito, RIP. Ok, my mother called him Pablito, though he introduced himself as Pablo his real name was Juan. Juan Pablo, aka Pablito.

L

Liberanos5

Yeah I supose this is it for now. I came home from the store 450 poorer today , Bluelab pH pen, Sunleaves Sunspot 6 reflector, 400 W Hortilux Super HPS bulb, Lumatek ballast and some calibration solution and a stack of catalogs. Right now my seedings are just in soil and doing the 18/6 routine. I added the HPS light to two 250 MH for the eventual 8x8 space. I germinated my FIRST seed July 4 so this journey is just beginning....I'm planing to add some GH tweeks along the way while taking notes all over the place. They were wrong about the Lumatek ballast being quiet......The Lumatek ballast is SILENT! I'm impressed! I am going to frame in the "room" over the weekend. Today I painted the walls and the cement floor to seal them and make the threat of mold less while the "children" enjoyed fresh outdoor air while paint dried. Thanks for the hand holding. I need it and fortunately the hydroponics store I patronize is the BEST. Of all the reflectors I have looked at the Sunleaves seemed like the biggest bang for the buck. I also locatred a 6" hole saw at the local renter center. Saturday looks like a work day....and all thist.t ime I thought I was RETIRED!!! I am basically build ing this thing backwards from the "exhaust pipe" back to the plants...
Cordially,
Pablito

A

Alien

Supporter
This is the most interesting read I've had on the farm in a while. Thank you for the insight and knowledge, Liberanos and Seamaiden! Great info...

And welcome to the farm, Liberanos/Pablito! Stick around, it's a great community filled with knowledgable and friendly people, as you already know from talking with Seamaiden.

You ever need any help along the way, drop me a PM.

Cheers and welcome,
Alien

L

Liberanos5

Hey there Alien...........sorry about Ripley kicking your ass!!!! Oh NOT THAT ONE!!?? (Sigourney is STILL hot IMO) Nevermind then. Thank you for the kind words. You get a couple aquarium heads together and it can go on and on and on, fragging SPS corals, your fave. tridachnid and so on. My note book is getting pretty full on this new hobby. My former colleague (a journeyman industrial electrician and silent partner) will be here in a bit to put in another 20 amp circuit). In just one day I can see the "children" really love that 400 W Hortulux bulb. I have a few pix on the iPad following the progression up to this point that I will try to put on here. If this was an A.A. meeting I'd certainly be sitting at a 1st step table, eh? No pics of High Times centerfolds from THIS farmer........yet! LOL! I read a "List Of Shit Noobies Sould Never Do" somewhere else and I had already done most of them.....This adventure only just began in earnest July 4. Applying the science I already understand from reef tanks (people that have reef aquariums are called "reefers" in some circles. There's a little fun trivia for you.....) re: light (Good Ole Roy G. Biv......I recall the nuns teaching us that waaaay back in the olden days........when the air was clean and sex was dirty) and the K.I.S.S. philosophy/lifestyle has always been the way i have "rolled!" Here's a question.........why is H2O2 (heavily dilute of course) used to germinate seeds? I have a bottle on the work bench but I wash my hands with it then straight isoporpal alcohol. I'm guessing it's for that extra oxygen atom but WHY??? I germinate in Dasani! Period! Enough babbling for now.....the coffee's talkin. Have a great weekend. Stay lucid!!!
Pablito

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Yep. Use the same rates you would acclimating stressed corals post-shipping (3% H2O2 @5mls/gal). Sheds that O2 molecule/atom and helps keep pathogens at bay.

Dasani-schmazani. Just use water.

Did you know that some old-timers use good old chlorine bleach to help germinate old, hard to pop beans? It's more like chewin' tobacco--a little dab'll do ya (drops).

L

Liberanos5

Old timers? Hey can you please share with me the best time to transplant from Solo beer cups to 5 gal pails? I am at the mercy of the "snake oil salesman" at the hydro store....I came home today with 1# of Earth Juice Rooters Mycorrhizae which he says to innoculate the 5 gal with 2T the add to nutes+water every other day. I also now own a 44 oz bottle of Dyna-Gro Liquid Grow to which he suggests I just follow the label's directions. My guess is once the roots start creeping out of the drain holes in the Solo beer cup it's transplant time. N'est pas? Please toss in your 2 cents. I was kidding about the Dasani. I have a Kent Marine RO/DI filter and I add back with RO Right. I found a sweet eye dropper in an old bottle of Lugols but the rubber was hard as a stone......LOL!!! Thank you for your generous input. I did get a free Hydro Farm shot glass and a free 30 ml bottle of GH Floricious Plus. Somebody please take this hook outa my lip.......................!
Cordailly,
Pablito

L

Liberanos5

A nasturcium to keep this unknown phenotype comapny. Germinated July 5. The expirement continues!

L

Liberanos5

Salt bucket is a good mini nute resevoir for a noob like me.......air pump air stone. The Patron is for some unknown date when I actually harvest ONE bud!!! LOL!!!

Top Bottom