Zone 5a strain recommendations please

• Thread starter Derelict999
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Derelict999

Derelict999

I'm not sure of the best forum for this, but I'd like to pick up some seeds. I'd like a recommendation for my zone 5a, near Toronto Canada. Thanks in advance for any help.

2Bad

2Bad

I'm not sure of the best forum for this, but I'd like to pick up some seeds. I'd like a recommendation for my zone 5a, near Toronto Canada. Thanks in advance for any help.
What do you mean recommendation all strains should be viable in any zone I believe. If one grows in your zone they all should.

Derelict999

Derelict999

I'm growing outdoors, so something that will finish in time. Some strains take longer to finish flowering.

Derelict999

Derelict999

They start around the beginning of Sept, I'm lucky to get 6 weeks

2Bad

2Bad

They start around the beginning of Sept, I'm lucky to get 6 weeks
Shit someone else may have a suggestion for a strain . Maybe autoflowers are better. The fastest flower i've gotten was maybe 50 days. But it was a bagged seed.

Derelict999

Derelict999

I've been growing clones the last couple of years with reasonable results. I have a lot of old bag seed that I can try. If I buy, I'd like to be sure, considering the price for fem'd seeds.

PickleRick

PickleRick

These guys have early finishing strains In September. Different zone, but same latitude. I got the pink apricot and pink plum kush.

C

crazyfoolkid

I live and grow outdoors for personal use in Vermont and typically run into a similar problem with the weather turning cooler and wet before my plants finish up, but this year I had one that started flowering very early and is going to be ready to harvest in about a week. I recommend trying White Strawberry Skunk, it started flowering at the start of July and is wrapping up now. I also have white widow and northern lights x haze #5, but I doubt those will finish up before mid-late October since they just recently began flowering so I'm concerned that mold will be an issue by then. Next year I'm thinking I may try the White Strawberry Skunk again and/or some autoflowering seeds so I don't have to worry as much about it getting too cold or damp before harvest. Good luck with your grow!

PickleRick

PickleRick

Thanks, I will check them out
What did you get?
The ones I mentioned are coming along. two are at 6 weeks so 2 weeks more, the other is a not quite as early and at 3 weeks.

I made seeds so I have like a thousand to run next year!

Deadstill

Deadstill

I'm from the government, and I'm here to help.
Supporter
I would say any good pure indica strain would be ideal for such short flowering seasons. Or as suggested above, an autoflower.

PickleRick

PickleRick

I would say any good pure indica strain would be ideal for such short flowering seasons. Or as suggested above, an autoflower.
what is it about indicas that make it finish in shorter seasons?

The majority of strains nowadays are hybrids. Choosing a pure indica you are picking some of the old school strains and missing out on all the breeding of the last few decades for terpenes and thc.

Indoors Sativas take longer to finish (10-12 Weeks). So obviosuly don't grow sativas outdoors. But most indoor hybdrids have the same 8-9 week flowering time as pure indicas.

What I have noticed this season, is that what makes something early finishing, may just be when it actually starts to flower. So the amount of hours of darkness it needs to trigger flowering.

I vegged many plants indoors and when i put them outdoors end of april into greenhouse the "early finishing outdoor strains" started to flower. But all of my indoor genentics did not.

This to me is just one of many random traits that would express itself in large enough populations of seedlings in any strain. So if you select for that trait year after year, you are acclimatizing (climatizing?) that strain to your growing season.

Buzzzz

Buzzzz

I live about a 21/2 hr drive from Toronto. I would look for the earliest sativa you can get to avoid mold due to the fall rains because of internode spacing and resistance to humidity. I have been growing the same strains for years and crosses thereof and I usually harvest 1st week to 2nd week of October. i start them in late january ,sex them and usually they're about waist high when I put them in.These were taken this wknd.

20220827 162629
Plant
Plant 3
Plant 2
PickleRick

PickleRick

I live about a 21/2 hr drive from Toronto. I would look for the earliest sativa you can get to avoid mold due to the fall rains because of internode spacing and resistance to humidity. I have been growing the same strains for years and crosses thereof and I usually harvest 1st week to 2nd week of October. i start them in late january ,sex them and usually they're about waist high when I put them in.These were taken this wknd.
what strain? did you make the crosses yourself? What are the crosses?

Derelict999

Derelict999

I haven't purchased any seeds yet. I'll try to remember to post some pictures of this season's grow tomorrow

grnmtn

grnmtn

I live and grow outdoors for personal use in Vermont and typically run into a similar problem with the weather turning cooler and wet before my plants finish up, but this year I had one that started flowering very early and is going to be ready to harvest in about a week. I recommend trying White Strawberry Skunk, it started flowering at the start of July and is wrapping up now. I also have white widow and northern lights x haze #5, but I doubt those will finish up before mid-late October since they just recently began flowering so I'm concerned that mold will be an issue by then. Next year I'm thinking I may try the White Strawberry Skunk again and/or some autoflowering seeds so I don't have to worry as much about it getting too cold or damp before harvest. Good luck with your grow!
It's the morning cold fog in Sept and Oct that kills me here in VT....I've finished a strain called Quebec Blue here but not many others outside in VT.

Buzzzz

Buzzzz

what strain? did you make the crosses yourself? What are the crosses?
Cinderella crosses I made,some with skunk#1,some with god and others. I put the ones I know will finish from past grows as my main plants then I put other crosses in and see which ones are suitable.

N

NWB

I'm not sure of the best forum for this, but I'd like to pick up some seeds. I'd like a recommendation for my zone 5a, near Toronto Canada. Thanks in advance for any help
Hi, I’m just outside Ottawa. This is my second outdoor grow… I had good success with white widow. I started from seed indoors and placed them outside on the king weekend in May. I got my seeds from KropKings in BC. I ended up growing in felt bags and was able to drag them into my shed over night for when they called for frost. I started to get some rot, but I just cut the damaged areas out and still got a large delicious crop! I’m currently growing 5 plants… let the fun begin!!!

N

NWB

Hi, I’m just outside Ottawa. This is my second outdoor grow… I had good success with white widow. I started from seed indoors and placed them outside on the king weekend in May. I got my seeds from KropKings in BC. I ended up growing in felt bags and was able to drag them into my shed over night for when they called for frost. I started to get some rot, but I just cut the damaged areas out and still got a large delicious crop! I’m currently growing 5 plants… let the fun begin!!!

93B61F6C BB56 4942 8403 E1CDFA9AF34B
5440EF7C 75C1 459B 8F37 73C5C102CFA1
Top Bottom