russet mites

• Thread starter caregiverken
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
WalterWhiteFire

WalterWhiteFire

Stylet oil is amazing. Thanks @Seamaiden. Hate to say it but a weekly preventative application would have kept them off your crop. I put chopped jalapeño and rosemary in a reusable tea bag and let it soak in my stylet oil tank sprayer to keep grasshoppers and caterpillars off vegetating plants.

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
Stylet oil is amazing. Thanks @Seamaiden. Hate to say it but a weekly preventative application would have kept them off your crop. I put chopped jalapeño and rosemary in a reusable tea bag and let it soak in my stylet oil tank sprayer to keep grasshoppers and caterpillars off vegetating plants.
I hear you Walter. I dont mind saying you are probably right.:cool:
I was only spraying plain water from the hose..no other preventive stuff.:banghead:
I had lots of predatory bugs of all types and they were thriving..
Now I know why.

You can believe I will be more careful in the future ;)

geologic

geologic

Old Pharmer
Supporter
I was worried because of my (very) reduced numbers of beneficial insects this year;
'till I realized that it's because there's very little food for 'em--
thanx Cap...

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Holy shit! You did..? And did the JMS act as a solvent with the pepper and rosemary? I used isopropyl alcohol and then emulsified, but... ok, I've got me some idears now!

And I just discovered I've got a whole 2.5gals EXTRA of JMS that I forgot I bought. D'oh! :o
I hear you Walter. I dont mind saying you are probably right.:cool:
I was only spraying plain water from the hose..no other preventive stuff.:banghead:
I had lots of predatory bugs of all types and they were thriving..
Now I know why.

You can believe I will be more careful in the future ;)
And brother, let me assure you that I've used your lessons to be mine as well and am doing just that--starting in with the preventative action. Also, based on a blurb I caught reading in Acres, I'm trying an addition of apple cider vinegar at a ratio of 100:1.

AcidSourDank

AcidSourDank

The worst thing you can do is declare victory prematurely. I had gone through 3 applications of Avid and 2 applications of Forbid, both with a non-ionic surfactant. I couldn't find anything moving in my 100x scope. The only thing I saw were some eggs, some amber, some cloudy, some clear. So I took a break from the nasty stuff and sprayed insect frass tea over two evenings. I figured the frass would help with my first planned spraying of Met 52. But then I started seeing mutated new growth. I thought maybe this was from the heavy sprayings of Avid. Then I saw tacoing. Then finally I found a video that showed me exactly what I had been missing:

And here's what I was seeing (and not seeing) through a 100x scope:
Russet larvae 100x

Using 8x zoom on my phone made it more apparent. See those little pink guys? They're fresh hatched larvae. They move too slow to see their movement without time-lapse but they move fast enough to put a hurt on their victims....
Russet larvae 800x 2

Russet larvae 800x

The Russet larvae generally prefer the nooks of leaves, like near the vein ridges. I've also noticed that leaves with their tips touching the ground will have more infestation at the tip than normal, even more than where all the leaflets meet.

People have supposedly had good success with Forbid but I can tell you that you definitely can't count on that stuff to kill ALL the eggs. I've drenched 'em in the stuff at a higher than recommended rate and I still had live eggs. Just like spider mites the secret to success seems to be applications on regular intervals to get the bastards quickly after they hatch.

I've been able to delay flowering with lights in the evenings but it's getting to the point where I simply can't hold them back from flowering any more. So I'm going to have to rely mainly on Met 52. I'm also going to test a diluted solution of sulfur + isopropyl alcohol + dawn. I was skeptical of sulfur but I keep hearing people say that it's helping control them to some degree.

I can't wait for the day that there's a better understanding of these bugs and they can be wiped out just as easily as spider mites!

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
:depressed: Wow Bummer That really sucks..
Im not finding any mites or any more damage
I wasnt claiming victory yet..Just success in beating them back..
My plants look good.
But you guys have me scared again now :nailbiting:

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
The worst thing you can do is declare victory prematurely. I had gone through 3 applications of Avid and 2 applications of Forbid, both with a non-ionic surfactant. I couldn't find anything moving in my 100x scope. The only thing I saw were some eggs, some amber, some cloudy, some clear. So I took a break from the nasty stuff and sprayed insect frass tea over two evenings.
Avid is supposed to keep killing for up to 20 days
So your Mites must be resistant to it.:hungover:

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
I just scoped 4 samples and I think i need a better microscope
but I cant find anything moving and I stared for a few min at each one
There are things there I wish i could see better though

Micro825
Last edited:
caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
it sucks to have this much stress about the plants :grumpy:

now, when i see a hair turn red..my heart sinks:hungover:

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
Still scoping
im finding some kind of eggs i think:confused:
Microeggs825

I need a better scope for sure..
And Im going to assume I still have some alive..
I still have a half bottle of Met52. I might as well spray it.
And then, more oils to try to smother em

Microeggs825b
DAT

DAT

Chucky bat
hahahaha the machine gun cat is hysterical.lmao
yeah bugs are kinda cool in a way. I got some funky green one on my Superlemon haze. it matches the leave color exact,looks almost like a mini grasshopper.

those jst look like trichomes to me. damn cant tell a russet mite from a trichome.

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
Have you figured out what those are? Russet Mite eggs?
No I havent ..I think they were too big to be russet eggs
But, I kept looking, and found a couple live ones.:banghead:
I had to look at a dozen samples before I found two moving on a leaf.
I sprayed the Met 52 last nite and Im scoping again for mites right now.
So far (3 leaves) so good.

Since I started this thread about 4 weeks ago,
I have only been able to actually see a total of 4 of these mites moving..
But, I know that means there are millions of them

And from what I have read again lately, Im not going to assume they are gone. I started to think that, because my plants are looking a lot better
I never meant to assume they were gone.. Now, I dont think I can completely wipe them out. :( ever.

So, Im just going to have to keep spraying and prayin, scoping and hoping..
BT tonight.
:banghead:

venial

venial

good luck ken I am also still seeing them here and there but no plant damage they must be hatching then dying as I have yet to see one move but i didn't scope until after my first treatments of abametctin or however it's spelled, i have a few friends who swear by pyrethrin
if i'm spelling that correctly, anyone every try that? also anyone every try the met52 granular ?

GR33NL3AF

GR33NL3AF

good luck ken I am also still seeing them here and there but no plant damage they must be hatching then dying as I have yet to see one move but i didn't scope until after my first treatments of abametctin or however it's spelled, i have a few friends who swear by pyrethrin
if i'm spelling that correctly, anyone every try that? also anyone every try the met52 granular ?
In all honesty, I think the secret ingredient is a proper wetting agent in conjuction with any of your insecticides. These bugs are so damn small you need to make sure you're coating the ENTIRE leaf.

I haven't been able to successfully spot any russetts/broads with my scope but I did have a coule 2-spotted mites running around. I've been spraying with 30mls per gallon of azamax and 10mls per gallon of EZ-Wet (wetting agent and sugar detergent) and haven't seen anything moving, no leaf tweaks, nada. I also blast my room with Diatomaceous Earth. Week before flipping I'm going to hit them with Forbid so be safe.

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
yeah, the Abamectin is supposed to keep killing but there may resistant ones
Ive never used pyrethrin because ive read it doesnt work well.
depends on who you ask i guess. The Met 52 granular is on rice i think..and Might be easier to use.
I know the Liquid is a pain to use...it wont mix..
Im switching back to Caps bio war Foliar

Latest posts

Top Bottom