Tobacco Mosaic Virus

• Thread starter 1.6perlight
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None

1.6perlight

Re: What is this? Frustrated Big Time! PLS HELP!!
Community please listen up:

Every time I see someone with these problems experienced growers always reply that it is due to over feeding etc. those are always legit responses, always great things to check. But in reality what I see over and over again is hemp mosaic virus or tobacco mosaic virus. Please please community look into this issue and the characteristics of the virus as it is becoming an incredibly huge epidemic as friends pass it along with cuttings.

In veg you can identify it when:

1) the leaf tip turns almost on a 90 degree angle
2) leaf variegation
3) almost looks a little mutated
4) slower than normal growth rates

If you didn't catch it in veg then here are the characteristics in flower:
1) will normally show it's ugly head in weeks 2 to 4 of flower
2) if you are experienced, they'll will automatically think that something is wrong with your recipe (nothing wrong, it's the virus, only applies to experienced guys)
3) plants will look as if someone literally poured bleach on you tops ( this is why it is usually confused with too high of ppm or over feeding)
4) the plant will try to repair itself and you will think that it will, but you will realize that you were dead wrong in week 5 or 6 ( unfortunately I know from personal experience) took me months to finally identify it.)
5) everyone will tell you at you are over feeding, and I'm not saying that it might not be the case if you are a newbie, but if you've put in your time you should know better.

One of the best solutions is aspirin. Read up on it please guys and learn to identify it at the clone stage.

THIS WILL BE AN EPIDEMIC OTHERWISE..

Dispensaries have it and the people that run the clones ( clone managers) don't even know what it is...most of them dip the rock wool in a common tray so that means if one comes in with it they now all have it...

Think about it:

Harborside has thousands of little guys ( yes I got some infestations from them before), also from organican, ( which blows me away because the lady at Organicann actually knows her shit, she had a couple of mothers that were infected sitting on the counter and even told me so), blows me away that she would have it there with their vast array of little guys. Same with Harborside.

I hope this helps someone to quickly identify and correct the issue. I now assume everything has it and treat them with aspirin from the beginning just as a precaution.

If anyone has any questions hit me up, I wish I had pics of what it looks like but a quick google search will bring some up.

Good luck fam!

lPC

incognito

incognito

What is the administration rate. How does one prepare a feeding solution? I assume that a generic aspirin can be crushed and dissolved in water. What about a Bayer 81mg tablet per gallon? I'm still researching how much to give. Have you tried? Please let us in. You have my undivided attention. This is an easy and cheap solution. I love it.

incognito

incognito

Here are some quotes that I found on other boards:

Dosage:

The master gardener at the university of Rhode Island... decided the best ratio is : 1.5 aspirin[81gr.] to two gallons of water and is best used after the aspirin have been crushed plus adding some liquid dish soap to make mix adhere to the plant surface. - [email protected]

Argument over Aspirin's composition:

Asprin is "acetylsalicylic acid" not "salicylic acid". Acetylsalicylic acid is well known to degrade into salicylic acid and acetic acid in the presence of moisture, and even more so when dispersed in water. That plus the conditions of heat and light on the surface of plant leaves is sure the hydrolyze the aspirin to the active chemical you guys want (salicylic acid).- [email protected]

Wanted to give big props to 1.6perlight for this valuable thread :)

1.6perlight

I have used, I will check mg strength . I just used bayer or Walmart equate generic works...MUST BE UNCOATED....you go through quite a few though. In my 40 gal res I believe I used close to 30 tabs, works great though. It actually allows them to finish, not to their max potential, but not too shabby. I will also look into foliar application rates( this I did not do).

Crazy how many people have it and don't even know it.

Thank you for the props incognito, hope it helps man, went through frustrating times figuring it out.

outwest

outwest

Premium Gardener
Supporter
Trying to upload pics, but when I tab to " upload file" the new Lil window pops up the choose file tab won't activate, is it bc this is an iPad.

Is your iPad running the latest OS? If not, that's your problem.

outwest

tattoojim

tattoojim

Unknown farmer
Supporter
is this what yours looks like buddy...
DSC03378

incognito

incognito

Oh yeah. That's it! Great picture showing both leaf shape and color distortion. I hate that 'plant herpes' mosaic virus. When I finally realized what was going on with my girls, I threw out everything showing any signs. It hurt, but I am still here :mad:

tattoojim

tattoojim

Unknown farmer
Supporter
its most likely not tmv...prolly a od of sorts....thats some ogr gear,,and it seems to b sensitive to nutes like a few of his strains...i have wifi cuts that did that in my last run..now new cuts are not showing them signs...just water for these plants (tap)

incognito

incognito

I observed this on King Louie XIII OG. I was sure it was TMV? Only some of my plants showed signs. Plants that were close in size and fed the same regimen. Plants with leaf curl and discoloration would take longer to consume equal amounts of water. The flower didn't appear to be affected. It was really good smoke. Hope I didn't drop the ball on this.

incognito

incognito

I first identified the mosaic virus on my tomato plants. Same symptoms: leaf shape and color distortion. I learned that the virus is carried from plant to plant by biting insects. Inevitably, some of those same insects, white flies, from my back yard made it into the house and onto my King Louie OG clones. When those clones went to bloom, the infected plants were easy to pick out. I witnessed this myth ravage half of my crop and you most certainly know when you have it.

silverhaze

silverhaze

Re: What is this? Frustrated Big Time! PLS HELP!!
Community please listen up:

Every time I see someone with these problems experienced growers always reply that it is due to over feeding etc. those are always legit responses, always great things to check. But in reality what I see over and over again is hemp mosaic virus or tobacco mosaic virus. Please please community look into this issue and the characteristics of the virus as it is becoming an incredibly huge epidemic as friends pass it along with cuttings.

In veg you can identify it when:

1) the leaf tip turns almost on a 90 degree angle
2) leaf variegation
3) almost looks a little mutated
4) slower than normal growth rates

If you didn't catch it in veg then here are the characteristics in flower:
1) will normally show it's ugly head in weeks 2 to 4 of flower
2) if you are experienced, they'll will automatically think that something is wrong with your recipe (nothing wrong, it's the virus, only applies to experienced guys)
3) plants will look as if someone literally poured bleach on you tops ( this is why it is usually confused with too high of ppm or over feeding)
4) the plant will try to repair itself and you will think that it will, but you will realize that you were dead wrong in week 5 or 6 ( unfortunately I know from personal experience) took me months to finally identify it.)
5) everyone will tell you at you are over feeding, and I'm not saying that it might not be the case if you are a newbie, but if you've put in your time you should know better.

One of the best solutions is aspirin. Read up on it please guys and learn to identify it at the clone stage.

THIS WILL BE AN EPIDEMIC OTHERWISE..

Dispensaries have it and the people that run the clones ( clone managers) don't even know what it is...most of them dip the rock wool in a common tray so that means if one comes in with it they now all have it...

Think about it:

Harborside has thousands of little guys ( yes I got some infestations from them before), also from organican, ( which blows me away because the lady at Organicann actually knows her shit, she had a couple of mothers that were infected sitting on the counter and even told me so), blows me away that she would have it there with their vast array of little guys. Same with Harborside.

I hope this helps someone to quickly identify and correct the issue. I now assume everything has it and treat them with aspirin from the beginning just as a precaution.

If anyone has any questions hit me up, I wish I had pics of what it looks like but a quick google search will bring some up.

Good luck fam!

lPC

Hey 1.6,

Sorry to hear of your problems. I have been through it too and for some time now. I thought my problems were also TMV and my symptoms were exactly as you described. I had my plants tested and was expecting the tobacco virus to come back as the problem. In fact, it was not. My plants were infected with Fusarium Solani. Did you have your plants tested in a lab? If not what makes you sure you have TMV?

I wish you luck man, these diseases are the worst. Also, Boylobster is dealing with something like this too, you may want to look him up, he's a cool dude.

outwest

outwest

Premium Gardener
Supporter
is this what yours looks like buddy...View attachment 275131

I have a leaf or two in my garden that looks like that. The rest of the leaves look like the photo below, so I'm not to worried about TMV. I always have one or two leaves that look like that. I do a lot of foliar spraying and have just attributed it to bleaching caused by liquid on the leaf surface under the bright HIDs.

outwest

C91REACH sf

incognito

incognito

Getting the plant tested is the only way to know for certain. Excellent idea. What lab did you use? I want to know myself. It might not be TMV. If Fusarium Solani produces the same symptoms, then the two can easily be misidentified. It is easy to identify the presence of a virus, but it is a complex, expensive procedure for a lab to specifically identify what virus. Does this lab list what it tests for?

Top Bottom