Tobacco Mosaic Virus

• Thread starter 1.6perlight
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Hi everyone.i have read so many forums about tmv. I haven't found conclusive evidence my plants are suffering. Little background: seeds are from Mtg seeds in northern California. The seeds had a 20% germination rate. Next they were about 80% male. This was ran side by side with my strains I made over 5 years ago and all my seeds popped with 60% fem. The seeds were started indoors and moved out. Very light nutrients until teens in fox farm soil. Since week 4 all plants get fix farm grow 6.4.4. with a small additive every week of micros. ____________

So now I have these plants and they are about 2 months more mature than preflowering. So all together maybe 3½ months old. I have them a massive dose of grow and a few days later I saw this chlorosis. I was wondering if anyone can help Id this issue. Also last week no micros. And super recent spinosad spray for mites and thrips and pillars. As you can see my garden is pretty healthy. Any experience with this?
That plant that appears to be revegging is a seed start? I'm trying to remember, I don't think I've ever had a seed start throw singles like that, nor have I seen any kind of variegation, etc. That doesn't resemble the other instances of what we have believed to be a tobamovirus as well, so I find myself wondering about the overall quality of the seeds themselves, given what you've reported. I am left with no good answers here, that plant should look just like the others.

NorthernMich

NorthernMich

What is TMV?
TMV is a single-stranded RNA virus that commonly infects Solanaceous plants, which is a plant family that includes many species such as petunias, tomatoes tobacco. And Cannabis .

What are the hosts of TMV?
Pathologists estimate that there could be up to 350 plant species susceptible to TMV. According to Spence et al. in the European Journal of Plant Pathology, some of the more susceptible species that show symptoms are petunia, bacopa, verbena, scaevola, diascia, calibrachoa and lobelia. Some species can be a host for the virus, but not show symptoms.

How stable is TMV?
TMV is an incredibly stable virus. In fact, it is so stable that it can remain in tobacco plants after the extensive processing necessary to make tobacco products.

Why do symptoms differ between infected plants?
Symptoms differ between infected plants depending on the stage of disease severity, the genetic line of the virus and the host plant.

Can tobacco products carry TMV?
Yes, tobacco products can carry the virus and using them without washing your hands afterwards can potentially spread TMV. For that reason, do not use tobacco in the greenhouse or without washing your hands prior to handling plant material.

Can TMV stay viable in plant debris or dead plant material?
Yes, TMV can stay active in dead plant material for long periods of time. It can even stay viable without the presence of a host on surfaces such as greenhouse benches, floors and worker’s clothes.

How effective is spraying plants with milk to prevent the virus from spreading?
Spraying plants with 20 percent nonfat dry milk has been shown to be somewhat effective in preventing the spread of the virus from TMV-infected tobacco plants to uninfected tobacco plants. We recommend spraying plants prior to transplanting to reduce the risk of spreading TMV as part of a methodical management strategy.

How “full-proof” is spraying plugs or liners with milk?
While spraying milk on plugs or liners may have some effectiveness in reducing the spread of TMV, spraying milk should not be the primary management tool for TMV in your greenhouse. In order for milk to inactivate TMV, it must be liquid. Remember to continue scouting, testing, disinfecting and implementing the best sanitation possible in your facility.

How does the milk work to inactivate the virus?
Milk coats the virus and inactivates it.

Is it possible to receive a positive and a negative TMV test result from two different samples on the same plant?
TMV may not be spread equally throughout the plant tissue. Therefore, it is possible to test one leaf on a plant and get a positive TMV result, while another leaf may yield a negative TMV result.

If one plant is infected in a combo pot, will the others become infected?
Yes, it is possible for one plant to spread TMV to a neighboring plant just by growing together as their leaves come in contact with one another.

Is TMV spread by insects?

No, TMV is not spread by the most common greenhouse insects that often vector other viruses, like thrips and aphids. In addition, beneficial insects have not been linked to spreading TMV. However, there are a couple minor exceptions that may only be applicable to certain production facilities. First, pollinators such as bumble bees used in the pollination of some greenhouse crops, like cucumbers and tomatoes, can spread TMV. Also, larger chewing insects – not common in greenhouse production – such as grasshoppers can spread TMV.

Can simply brushing an infected plant and then a non-infected plant spread TMV?
Yes, the slightest brush of clothing infected with TMV was sufficient to spread the virus to uninfected plants, according to a study by Losenge et al.

How can I wash my clothing between work days to ensure that the cloth is not harboring TMV?
Washing clothes with standard amounts of laundry detergent or in milk was effective to inactivate TMV on clothing to prevent spread, according to Losenge et al.

Is there a preferred hand sanitizer on transplant lines?
To our knowledge, there has not been widely published evidence that there is a preferred type of hand sanitizer for TMV. According to the Centers of Disease Control and Prevention, alcohol-based hand sanitizers are effective against human viruses with a membrane, such as Rhinovirus, also known as the common cold. Since TMV does not have a membrane, there is minimal evidence that alcohol-based hand sanitizers will inactive it. We recommend washing your hands with soap and water as frequently as possible.

On a transplanting line, we recommend that the plants be sprayed with a milk solution before going through the machine or transferred by hand. The milk solution on the plants should still be wet as they are transplanted. Employees on a transplanting line should wear gloves and periodically dip their hands in milk solutions for the most effective control.

straincreation

straincreation

its most likely not tmv...prolly a od of sorts....thats some ogr gear,,and it seems to b sensitive to nutes like a few of his strains...i have wifi cuts that did that in my last run..now new cuts are not showing them signs...just water for these plants (tap)
My push og shows this sometimes but she still kicks out top notch buds!

mrthoopai

mrthoopai

what do you think this is. All my plants had it than it went away thought it was overwatering. came back on 8 of 12 GG plants on one tray.

IMG 1498
IMG 1496
IMG 1510
IMG 1507
R

RNAPro

What if you could combat Tobacco Mosaic Virus or Hemp Mosaic Virus without having to dispose any of your affected plants? If you're experiencing TMV or HMV issues with your grow, give RNA Pro a shot before you do anything drastic. RNA Pro was specifically developed just for this exact issue, in response to plants that were infected during an outbreak of the Hemp Mosaic Virus in 2010.

Through years of study, RNA Pro has proven its effectiveness in combating all symptoms of Tobacco Mosaic Virus and Hemp Mosaic Virus, the culmination of intensive scientific research and laboratory analysis. RNA Pro works by increasing your plant’s production of a natural hormone which is responsible for the manufacture of a specific protein coating. This protective coating is what prevents plant viruses like TMV or HMV from attaching to its genetic material. If you're sick of dealing with low yields or poor quality with your grow, give RNA Pro a shot before you simply throw away your hard work.

Visit us today at hempmosaicvirus.com or shoot us an email with your questions at [email protected].

Top Bottom