10' ceilings- stacked verts?

• Thread starter Funkadelic
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Funkadelic

Funkadelic

Hey all, I want the tree farmers' opinion on ten foot ceilings in a room I plan to do vert lights and trees in...
Do I stack 1000s, 600s, single 1000s, single 1000s?

Tall room, couple hundred Sq ft. Want to maximize. Thoughts?

I'm completely legal to grow but only want to do organic trees.

J

Jalisco Kid

I like 1000 mh over 600 hps. I like my plants to want to go towards the light. Last 10 days or so I shut off the 600's last round had them on 6 hours a day. 2 new strains but I felt the bud tightened up more. I might add more uvb and keep the 600's running if I was to grow again. I prefer the mH's for flavor. JK

Funkadelic

Funkadelic

Both of you guys, thanks first of all for your efforts on this site. I've read countless posts by both of you and highly respect your work, innovation, and sharing.

Cap - this upcoming round is mostly true GSC. Got clones via a guy who went to the breeders house. They're vegging now as I prep new space for them.

Thinking of vegging them in new flower room on the big lights, speeding process since 1st Rd gives me that luxury. Sq footage more limiting than cubic, so I'm open to and lighting configuration...

JK - I'm with you. People who do six hundred vert seem to all wish they'd gone 1000w.

You like mg spectrum results more? I'm gonna veg with mh as well as t5's. Maybe in flower a hanging stack of 1000s, different spectrums?
I'm very happy with my hortilux eye hps 1000s, but know spectrum range is important in all stages. What would you do?

I can veg in flower And have tall ceilings.... want to do giant trees with cages....

Funkadelic

Funkadelic

Cap - sorry, the coco/growstone/soil pots will be on the ground. Plants are already about a foot tall.

Def want to veg them in the flower room to maximize growth, but not sure which lighting scheme to use on verts. Thinking double stack seems like the way to go, since the space allows for it....

soserthc1

soserthc1

Sounds like a awesome way to get started on the farm (welcome) and i agree 110% with your Cap n JK statement def solid advice coming from them guys ....

Good luck with the new room & do you plan on sharing a grow log
blessings SoSeRtHc1

Funkadelic

Funkadelic

Thanks Soser. Been a fan of your contributions here when I just read.

I should start a grow log. Need to do the design ASAP. I have photos and just finished a diagram last night. I need to post it.

HookedonPonics

HookedonPonics

Just a little heads up, I wouldn't do GSC as a tree unless you want virtually no yield and a ton of wasted light. They grow straight up like sticks with grape sized nugs all the way up. Atleast my forum cut grows like that. And also what regiment do you plan on using for organic hydro in chow mix. I've found no liquid fert regiment that's truely organic IMHO. They say there organic but then I look at the label and there are forms of Nitrates, etc, which is far from organic.

deacon1503

deacon1503

Yes it's a good idea but my recc is make sure u have enough root space to accommodate the additional light.

Funkadelic

Funkadelic

Hey Hop,
I have the true platinum GSC. Yes it grows tight clusters.

I'm done with staking and horizontal fixtures. With sour d, it's a colossal pain in the ass.

One goal with trees and cages is minimizing the labor intensive training. No one I know likes staking. Not at all.

I also have access to blue cheese, 707 headband, violet delight. Good strains. Small candelabras but they can bang.
Blue dream too.

I'm patient and able to veg them in a flower room this round.
Which one of those would you run most of in this setup?

Funkadelic

Funkadelic

Ten gallon smart pot equivalents? With coir mixed with some grow stones, feeding dilute harvest moon / nectar of the gods...

Funkadelic

Funkadelic

Sour d would be perfect, I realize. It's just such a fickle bitch. Any stress shows.

It bangs for me but I dislike the strain.

HookedonPonics

HookedonPonics

Sorry funk, I didn't see this till now. If your running trees, run that Sour D she will yield and stack like a mofo with verts. Only downside to her (atleast my cut) is she goes almost 11 weeks. I've heard of people taking her farther than that tho.

Funkadelic

Funkadelic

No worries HoP.

My problem with Sour D is alllllllllll the maintenance, work, trimming, and high high rate of stretch and showing any stress at all.
Got her under a 9 week cycle right now.

That's why I'd rather go 707, GSC platinum, Violet Delight, Blue Cheese or Blue Dream.

Just not sure how well they'd make use of vertical lighting.
IF I go with ANY Sour D, I Def want to get Trimreaper or another machine.... even then I'm not sure.
I so prefer all the others I have instead.

Alice D

Alice D

No worries HoP.

My problem with Sour D is alllllllllll the maintenance, work, trimming, and high high rate of stretch and showing any stress at all.
Got her under a 9 week cycle right now.

That's why I'd rather go 707, GSC platinum, Violet Delight, Blue Cheese or Blue Dream.

Just not sure how well they'd make use of vertical lighting.
IF I go with ANY Sour D, I Def want to get Trimreaper or another machine.... even then I'm not sure.
I so prefer all the others I have instead.
Are you looking for a solid yield or the best medicine or right in between. If it were me I would do hybrid lighting maybe some double ended ushio's in adjust a wings over the top and a bunch of solis tek 4k MH vert in there. No need to double stack them. Might even want to bump up to 20 or 30 gallon smart pots. My buddy just did killer using 65gl smart pots inside with hybrid lighting and did very well. Strains were Ewok and sour diesel. Sour diesel does ask for attention but when given what it wants it kicks down. I've never ran the 707 but know a few peps that have that would do you nice or if you want to crush it then blue dream but your getting into what do you want to smoke. Ya platinum cookies are wonderful but the yield is not. I usually grow one for my head but never dedicate a full room to it. You got your environment all worked out super nice? Post some pics of what your working with,you will get mad help good luck!

Funkadelic

Funkadelic

Thanks Alice. I've been considering hybrid lighting too. My ceilings are tall, so I have tons of cubic feet to work with. Hence, I've thought stacked verts more than hybrid.... but just to start, maybe?

Budgets a concern. My plants are happy but this is a fresh build. Since we are heading into winter, I'm considering using fresh air before sealed room. I'm going to keep re-investing though.

Sour just looks bad if it's not 100% happy. And it's so much work to trim. GSC platinum trims itself.
That's why I've been thinking something in between like the 707 or dream. The blue cheese and violet are gorgeous AND trim easily, and they can yield.

Sadly, sour is the heaviest hitter.

But I'm not down to give it 11 weeks. GSC is 9, and the others maaaaaaaay let me get away with 8.
Six rounds/year trumps five with Sour, also.

But you're totally right. Sour crushes.

Top Bottom