10' x 10' MPB room build

• Thread starter TrichromeFan
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Hrpuffnstuff

Hrpuffnstuff

get one of those thingys you lay on to work on your car or a skateboard =)

Thats some serious Smatter than the average bear shit right there!!
Your gonna have your self a sick Lab!

O

OregonMeds

buddyrolling.JPG

TrichromeFan

TrichromeFan

Hr, that's funny that you say that, cause I am planning on getting a creeper for the underside. Thanks for the compliments.

Oregon, I don't think that I will need to go that extreme with the wheels. Some of those positions make me feel a little vulnerable.:worried

ALLegal420

ALLegal420

Premium Member
Supporter
LMAO @ Oregonmeds, that's one hell of a setup!

Yea, a creeper would be the easiest thing to do (besides belly crawl)... That's prolly why I didn't think of it. lol
Harbor Freight has some nice inexpensive molded plastic creepers.

That's gonna be a really nice cooltube setup. What cfm fans are you thinking of running?

TrichromeFan

TrichromeFan

That's gonna be a really nice cooltube setup. What cfm fans are you thinking of running?

ALLeagal, Thanks on the cool tube compliment. I have an Aldes 8" centrifugal fan that I thing is around 500cfm that I was going to try on them.

O

OCEAN

Damn, I log on thinking "I gotta figure out how to do up my 10'x10' spare bedroom" and whadayaknow! Brand new thread right on the front page. I'll be tagged along with this one, lookin clean so far.

B

brookstown

Nice work man, you look like you've done more work making that elevated room than I have done to make my entire garage usable.

I guess that explains why my plants are dead though.

lol, your a fool dawg

Papa

Papa

Supporter
very very sweet! i love the creeper idea!

your floor looks fine structurally. it'll have more bounce than you want in a living room, but this ain't a living room! of course you could've used 2x8s on 12" centers for floor joists and 1-1/8" T&G, but what you have ain't goin' anywhere. lol

what are you going to cover the ply with to contain water spills? what do you plan for the threshold detail? i was just noticing the cool baseboards that JACKMAYOFFER used.

Papa

L

Loudblunts

i think the product 'Redgard' would be a good start to cover the plywood with

Papa

Papa

Supporter

very nice. i've never thought of that. so instead of thinking of it as a room floor, you think of the entire room as a shower pan. excellent. then you use a shower curb detail at the door.

i guess you could slope the floor to a floordrain, that would be a cool add to this design! run the drain into a hose that runs to outside.

but before i run farther with a threadjack [sorry TrichromeFan] what are your plans?

Papa

L

Loudblunts

i think it would be nice too.

TrichromeFan, so i dont jack ya thread, i refrained from posting pics, but can show you what im talking about if you want, but im sure you already know.... sorry again if any problems... was just a suggestion :D

TrichromeFan

TrichromeFan

OCEAN, thanks for the compliments. I hope this build inspires you to start a project of your own.
very very sweet! i love the creeper idea!

your floor looks fine structurally. it'll have more bounce than you want in a living room, but this ain't a living room! of course you could've used 2x8s on 12" centers for floor joists and 1-1/8" T&G, but what you have ain't goin' anywhere. lol

what are you going to cover the ply with to contain water spills? what do you plan for the threshold detail? i was just noticing the cool baseboards that JACKMAYOFFER used.

Papa
I got the creeper. It is fun, scooting around under there.
Photo

As far as the floor, I figured it being such a small span, that the 2x6's 16 on center would serve the purpose. I got most of the 3/4 ply stuck down with flooring construction adhesive and 3" gold screws. It is pretty damn solid. All the construction is actually done with screws, with no nails.
As far as covering the ply, I was actually still undecided on that one. It would definitely have to be water proof, but the notion of being able to contain a spill is pretty sweet. I had not intended any special baseboard or threshold until now...:thinking

Looked it up, looks pretty nice. Shower hot mop, without the hot. Only it would be nice if it came in white... I think that the pink color might wear on me. I wonder, what about a rubberized spray on bed liner type of material. I know that comes in white.

very nice. i've never thought of that. so instead of thinking of it as a room floor, you think of the entire room as a shower pan. excellent. then you use a shower curb detail at the door.

i guess you could slope the floor to a floordrain, that would be a cool add to this design! run the drain into a hose that runs to outside.

but before i run farther with a threadjack [sorry TrichromeFan] what are your plans?

Papa

I like the whole shower pan type of construction idea. I did the math, and if I run say, 130 gallons total, that would be over 2" high of water. If I went 3" on the threshold and base, then I could coat the whole thing. I think that I would want to keep the floor flat for the buckets.
No problem with the threadjack, I always like to hear out new ideas. It helps things evolve really well sometimes.
i think it would be nice too.

TrichromeFan, so i dont jack ya thread, i refrained from posting pics, but can show you what im talking about if you want, but im sure you already know.... sorry again if any problems... was just a suggestion :D
Again, no problem as well. I'm liking the input. I would be bummed if my ideas and creations inspired nobody to think. And as I said, I am trying to figure out what to do with floor covering anyway, so you guys just helped me with some sweet ideas at the right time. Thanks.
-TF :rauch08:

L

Loudblunts

dude, you helped me figure out how to run the mpb system in a smaller space.... just raise the damn floor, DUH?!?!!!!! why didnt i think of that earlier?

hahaha

also, brb, imma post some pics

L

Loudblunts

http://i237.invalid.com/albums/ff285/420630/test2/DSCN3542.jpg

http://i237.invalid.com/albums/ff285/420630/test2/DSCN3578.jpg

http://i237.invalid.com/albums/ff285/420630/test2/DSCN3577.jpg

http://i237.invalid.com/albums/ff285/420630/test2/DSCN3595.jpg

http://i237.invalid.com/albums/ff285/420630/test1/DSCN3937.jpg

http://i237.invalid.com/albums/ff285/420630/test1/DSCN3940.jpg

aight.... this was back in the day when i thought growing in a cab would be cool or something? lol anywho... the whole box is insulated. polyshield and foamboard x 2 all around. one sheet is 1/2" thick and another sheet was 3/8" thick? hell i cant remember way back in the day.

coated it with the redgard, i think i coated it twice just to call my bro's bluff (one of my bro's who be building houses and doing bathrooms put me on this shit....he swears by wont stop talkin bout the shit)...

So, I, like you Trichome, is anal about that color...it had to go. So i painted over it (yea, its paintable)... then i kept the bottom half blacked out... and attached panda film starting from half all the way up, all around the cab.... (didnt wanna whore your thread up unless it was a USEFUL pic, that woulda been useless :P ) anywhooooo you see what im getting at.

Cant remember how tall the 'curb' was, but it was enough for a good 20-30 gallons, thas for sure.

Plus i had stuffed a 1k in that box so i used an icebox to tame temps... had to make sure i had some type of water protection.

i can honestly say that Red Gard is the shit... i read the instructions, which i didnt before cuz when one of ya bros tell ya to go get some shit, ya go get it cuz you know his word is bond... but i started reading the instructions not too long ago.... and noticed it said it can be used for a shower pan type of deal.... lol. I couldnt agree more... this stuff is the tits. When you can throw ice and some beers in the bottom of ya grow box, and shit stays hella cold and no leaks.... how can ya complain? :party0044:

A lil pricey, but worth every penny. Also, dont let some of the stores rape you on pricing, goto Homedepot if they arent price gauging...

Papa

Papa

Supporter
this thread is great info for those who sometimes have to build a growroom on a second floor or similar situation like a raised floor.

TrichromeFan, Redgard specs say it's not suitable for foot traffic. it's often used under tile floors. i'm wondering if adhering linoleum on top of it is the way to go.

a 3 to 4 inch curb sounds sweet. it may require some work on your door to make it with that low ceiling. a floor drain would be sweet even if the floor didn't slope to it.

it's nice that you're right at your electrical panel.

Loudblunts, thanks for posting the pics. that stuff's red! i've seen a similar product that is blue, if you don't like the red, ;-)

Papa

TrichromeFan

TrichromeFan

Loudblunts,
thanks for the extra info on the redgard. I think that it looks like a good waterproofing treatment. Although the no foot traffic thing makes it not exactly right for the job, if it is to be left untreated. I don't think that I want to have to apply flooring on top of that as well. I like your old cabinet system. That's amazing that you were running a 1k in there. I built a few cabinets before, but only air cooled, and with 400w.

Papa,
good looking out on the extra research. I think that I am going to go with a slightly different coating. I have been researching and found this polyurethane coating that is for diy truck bed liners. It is rated for a floor covering, is waterproof, and even chemical proof. It is non-slip, rolls on, and even comes in white! It is a little pricy, but I think that it would totally be worth it. Check it out.
http://www.durabakcompany.com/productinfo.htm

Also, I finally got the floor completely screwed and glued.

IMG 1278
IMG 1277
TrichromeFan

TrichromeFan

Loudblunts,
don't get me wrong, I think that the regard looks sweet for many applications, and I think that it is important to get good info like that out there for people to use. I think that more people should take waterproofing and spill containment more seriously. Especially those out there who might be apartment dwellers, who do not live on the first floor. I had a buddy (2nd story apt) who had to tear down from a leak, that brought the landlord. My only issue with the stuff for my app is the no foot traffic thing. As far as the poly coating, it is similar to rhinoliner or line-x. It rolls on or sprays with a gun. The spray can stuff is probably similar, I just thought I would have to use 20 cans or so, to get the coverage. Then you have all that propellant and atomized poly stuff in the air. Did you check out the link that I posted? It is more like that herculiner, but the pricing is better, and the stuff looks high quality.

Top Bottom