16/12 flower cycle anyone try it.

• Thread starter larebowm
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Tank333

Tank333

So, today was the first time I have ever heard of a 10/14 flowering cycle. I had heard of the Gas Lantern Technique, but never heard of it in combination with diminishing light. Here is a blog by a guy I just found today. I wanted to post it here to see what you guys thought of the information he presents...

I know its a really long read, but I certainly thought it was worth the time I spent reading it.

Cannabis growers, this is important: We must properly identify twelve hours of lighting as intermediate lighting length and end its use for flowering Cannabis. Cannabis falls in to the category of Short-Day Plants, and is governed by the same flowering rules flowers such s the African Marigold, and Poinsettia, which are commercially grown in the industry, according to the guidelines set out for short-day plants. If you’ve already adopted Photoperiodic lighting, then you may not be getting the most out of your vegetation schedule if you still flower on twelve hours of light.

Short day plants must have a flowering period of less than eleven hours, or the plant remains partially in vegetation. Botanists have long since classified all plants including Cannabis according to their seasonal flowering behavior, and produced proven tables defining the length of seasons required for each genus to produce the optimum results. Their centuries of work archives results obtained from meticulously studying short day, long day and season neutral flowering plants.

As I have stated in my previously, plants that have been grown up using the 12-1 method or ‘Photoperiodic lighting’ have been kept on the edge of vegetation by interrupting the night period, and so have become very sensitive due to the delicate balance of floral hormones. This makes the plant vegetate vigorously and go into flower with the slightest provocation.

The one hour interruption in the middle of the twelve hour dark period has been neutralizing enough of the naturally building Phytochromes or ‘light sensitive hormones’ to keep the Cannabis plant from blooming and the longer dark periods stimulate intense vegetation. The well rested plant has plenty of stored nutrients and energy to finish its life cycle and flower.

Triggering the plants might be essentially just a matter of removing the interrupting light period, so the plants may now experience the full buildup of hormones that will trigger blooming on twelve hours of lighting, and so it has been for the last thirty years.

However, this is a fundamental mistake, and tends to negate all the accumulated benefits of a season of photoperiodic lighting as well as the breaking the well established rule for lighting short day flowering plants. The obvious good health of the plant shows that it is properly prepared to flower, but a dog-days schedule would waste those accumulated resources.

Being in a state of semi-flower/semi-vegetation under twelve hour lighting diverts energy throughout the plant in a confusing way. Recent evidence shows that twelve hour lighting is the cause of elongation of the branches and wider spacing of inter-node stems. Flowers and oils are under-produced, and vegetation continues, though at a decreased rate. The stored nutrients such as Nitrogen may not last long enough to sustain the flowering season, causing over or under-feeding complications. The finished weight of the medicine includes extra leaf produced by the semi vegetative state, which is naturally higher in carcinogens than the flowers, and requires extra labor to trim.

Using proper short-day lighting is essential to a properly grown and successful crop, and for Cannabis growers that means bypassing the twelve hour lighting of mid to late summer, and going straight to the full autumn bloom by dropping the hours in a single move to a mere ten hours of light. I will refer to this as ‘Diminished Lighting’ for the purpose of reference.

Strong flowering is induced within only a few days of switching to ‘Diminished Lighting’, and is very often finished a week sooner than the strain information. Eight week strains may be finished in seven, ten week strains in only eight or nine weeks and so on. ‘Diminished Lighting’ accelerates the flowering schedule considerably on all strains. Nutrients provided to the plants are used at a slower, steadier rate to more effectively produce oils, terpenes and medicinal compounds.

Bottom line: More higher potency medicine.

12 hour lighting is bad, mmmk?

So, if I may finally be direct, having sent some time beating around the burning bush? Twelve hour flowering for your Cannabis is harming your production, and making your plants underperform. It may have even given you a reputation as someone who can’t grow the easiest plant on earth, or it may just make your crops inconsistent; but you can change all that with a simple change to your light schedule.

Twelve hour lighting for flowering is as much an bogus farce as eighteen hour light was for vegetation, and was perpetrated by the exactly the same industry that packaged diluted molasses as bud booster and sold it for TEN TIMES the price.

I suggest you try ten hour lighting for flowering your Cannabis plants, and see what the results are for yourself. The entire ‘traditional stretch’ period is completely avoided, and your happy plants produce nothing but flowers instead of wasting energy and resources on stems and leaf. Once you prove this works to yourself, I promise you’ll never look at growing or the industry again the same way. Don’t take my word for it, when all you have to do is try it for yourself and discover the results.

Enjoy your crops!

Daniel Boughen

Last edited:
ttystikk

ttystikk

When I consistently ran a 10.5 hour day and 13.5 dark, there was little stretch, but it was also a Northern Lights which finished in six weeks.

Something the piece you quoted above seemed a bit contradictory; on the one hand, it said that 12/12 schedules keep the plant from flowering fully and in a state of perpetual partial veg, and on the other hand it said this limits yield?

Then, to be internally consistent with this apparent contradiction, it said higher yields with shorter light interval?

I'll switch my veg to gas lantern style in a heartbeat if it helps with rooting and stretchy growth.

Tank333

Tank333

I think the contradiction you seem to be seeing is he refers to GSL as 12/12, when it's really 12/5.5/1/5.5/12 (if that makes any sense), and then again when he says 12/12 limits yeild, he's referring to flowering at 12/12, not vegging. I'm pretty sure at least. Let me shoot him a message and confirm that I'm interpreting him correctly...

caveman4.20

caveman4.20

I think the contradiction you seem to be seeing is he refers to GSL as 12/12, when it's really 12/5.5/1/5.5/12 (if that makes any sense), and then again when he says 12/12 limits yeild, he's referring to flowering at 12/12, not vegging. I'm pretty sure at least. Let me shoot him a message and confirm that I'm interpreting him correctly...
I loved the outcome of these light schedules so much that I bred seeds in these runs and I'm dying to continue my grows in using those very seeds. I might even drop another hour and finish 9 on 15 off lol thanx for sharing that Tank333 it's a game changer for me

Tank333

Tank333

And you get consistently high yields with this lighting schedule? What kind of lights, what size was your space, and what was your yield? Oh, and how many plants?

Sorry for the fifth degree, but I'm all sorts of interested in something that can not only potentially create a better and higher yield, but also save me almost 25% of my lighting cost!

caveman4.20

caveman4.20

Ill answr the fifth degree in those threads just to keep the info together

caveman4.20

caveman4.20

And you get consistently high yields with this lighting schedule? What kind of lights, what size was your space, and what was your yield? Oh, and how many plants?

Sorry for the fifth degree, but I'm all sorts of interested in something that can not only potentially create a better and higher yield, but also save me almost 25% of my lighting cost!
Be patients pop a ton of seeds and you'll find what your looking for.

Tank333

Tank333

Ill answr the fifth degree in those threads just to keep the info together
The reason I ask is because I have only a cell phone with a tiny ass 2.5" screen. Slogging through page after page of just conversation isn't too easy for me. Lol. I had seen you post those before, but I was hoping you wouldn't mind throwing some stats for me so I don't have to spend 3 hours sifting through irrelevant posts.

caveman4.20

caveman4.20

.5 to 1 gram per watt that's all watts not the traditional 1gpw of bulb watts

caveman4.20

caveman4.20

And I wouldn't be surprised if someone grows. Even more efficient then that it's just that people hold that kind of information dear to them and it isn't easy for them to share generations of work with people who may use it for bad

caveman4.20

caveman4.20

Im not saying all cash croppers are bad some people put themselves and their children through school by growing ....

sixstring

sixstring

Boy I wonder how long until they mass produce a timer that is totally programmable to handle these different or diminished light cycles that is affordable for everyone. I think more of us would use a diminished cycle if you could just set it and forget it .

MysteryChild

MysteryChild

Ive done:
13/11
then
12/12
then
11/13 for ripening of long flowering sativas

Yes i believe 16/12 would work and increase yield but why when flowering will just take that much longer and electricity will cost that much more. Starting at 13/11 and working your way down would be better imo then starting at 16/12

jiggaboojones

jiggaboojones

as a student of the ever vast techs of growing I tend to look towards the heavy hitters in the game for things like this . on that note I have been dusting off my old dj short stuff n particular this ? arose from someone asking him . his reply , 11-13 (11 on ) would show you more amazing genetic / pheno expression than you would see in any other cycle.

Top Bottom