1k, 1 tree, 2lbs+???.....Whats the best hydro system???

• Thread starter BillPlimpton
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
B

Bobby Smith

A few more things while they're on my mind:

1) Heath almost always runs Critical Mass when he does his monster grows, which is a ridiculously high yielding strain
2) There are guys in the old Coliseum that were getting 10-12 pounds off of 3K (using 300 plants), so that lends some credence to it
3) Higher plant numbers are the easiest way to get more yields........I ran 142 plants under a 1K my last run, didn't pay attention to/trim them at all (spent maybe 2 hours on the entire grow), lost about 20, and still got 1.5 pounds (with a mediocre producing strain).........so again, I believe his numbers.

I just wanna keep my numbers <100 from here on out :)

C

Chris1

Hey Bobby....Heath ran a single AK47 and pulled 34 zips...

1634_OZ_AK-med.JPG

16Drying-med.JPG

142 plants?? jeez man! thats a danger in a non mmj state...if i get the "knock", I want the least amount of plants as possible for my yield needs...even if they find 8 monstrosities, sounds a lot better than 142 :-/

H

-hydrofarmer-

THAT'S NOT A PLANT!! THAT'S A TREE!! holy cow bro good grow

B

BillPlimpton

Heres all the proof anyone needs to be sure about Heath, a mass majority of his grows, grow styles, all diagramed and easily explained. He even shouts out DD. Its a completely current grow and thread in which he participates. He'll also answer any PM and is a fairly cool guy to chat with, very zen type attitude it seems. Anyhow, this isnt about Heath R. but it does give serious attention to his "UC" style systems from the early days, theres also a diagram on that in thatthread, very cool thread and read, I think around post #108 is his simple ideas.ANYHOW

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=181239

ALSO, here is my nute schedule via USELESS, this is an agressive feeding formula

Here is the nutrient regimen I use and how I control PH with little or no ph up or down...

So OK - feeding schedule week by week. This is the GH weekly feeding program, slightly tweaked. I will only call out the volume of each part per gallon of water in the following manner: grow, micro, bloom, ppm range. Example - 5-2.5-2.5-400/800 would mean 5 ml grow, 2.5 ml micro, 2.5 ml bloom and a ppm of 400-880. Remember it's per gallon. You Euro's can easily convert to liters. 4 liters is just a little bit over 1 gallon. It should also be noted that I use the hardwater micro due to my tapwater. I suggest using the hardwater micro in place of the regular micro if your tap water is over 200 ppm total or you have over 70 ppm Ca. RO water users should use the regular micro.
Veg -
week 1 5-2.5-2.5-400/600
week 2 10-5-3- 600/800
week 3 12-6-3 800/1000 (continue week 3 formula if additional veg time is required.)

Bloom
week 1 6-6-10- 800/1200
week 2 3-7-12 - 1000/1400
week 3 3-8-14 - 1000/1400
week 4 3-8-16 - 1000/1400
week 5 (discussed in detail below*)
week 6 0-7-20 - 1000/1400
week 7 0-6-20 (see bleow**)
* During week 5 if not using a booster like Superbud, Bushmaster Kabloom etc. run 2.5-7-18. I use MOAB (Mother of All Blooms) or BushMaster at 50% of recommended strength, and use 1.25-3.5-9 for the fert base.
**If running an 8 week strain you should only run the ferts during week 7 for a maximum of 3-4 days. This gives you 10 days for flushing. I should note that if I use ferts for a few days in week 7, I take the lants over the 8 week mark. Personally I flush for a min of 14 days. But 10 is bare minimum imo/ime.

The ppms work out almost exactly. I tend to lean toward the lower side of the range, unless I have a really heavy feeder that I know can handle it.

At every ressy change out I add in 5 drops per gallon of 35% food grade H2O2. During flush use ph adjusted water at 5.5-6.0
I will add epsom salt at week 1 of bloom if the plants are heavy feeders AND I see signs of an Mg def. Otherwise I won't use it. The only time I have ever had Mg def is during transition. The GH 3 part is a little low on Mg, but the PBP and Canna nutes are way lower.

Now- how to control your PH...
There are a couple factors that cause your PH to drift. The most common is running the nute solution too strong or too weak. If it's too strong, your PH drops. If it's too weak the PH rises. You have to find the balance point. If you find that the formula above is say, a little strong, and say you have a 20 gallon ressy, mix the nutes for 18 gallons. If it's a little weak, mix it for 22 gallons. You follow?
The other common mistake is mixing your nutrient solution and trying to adjust the PH right away. You have to allow time for the ph buffers in the nutrient solution to do their job. Mix the nutes up, and bubble or circulate for 12 hours before even looking at your PH. You will find the PH to be almost right on target.
I use little or no ph adjusters. (Except during flush). I use tap water, with a starting PPM of 300-400 and a starting PH of 7.4-9.0 (Thats crazy you say! The water is too hard, you will never get stable PH and you will have too much Ca, causing a lockout of Mg!) Bollocks I say.
Every week, on Friday I drain the ressy and fill with plain water. I let that run overnight giving the plants a little flush. This also allows the chlorine and ammonia to evap. On Saturday morning, I mix the nutes into the ressy. I DO NOT adjust ph at this time. Let that run as is overnight. On Sunday morning, I check ph and adjust if needed. Usually don't have to.
Doing things this way has saved me from constant PH drifts, and using about 150 ml of ph down every ressy change, and a little here and there throughout the week to keep it in the desired range. Now, the most I ever have to use is about 30 ml.if any at all. (I have a 35 gallon ressy btw) My Ph stays at a constant 5.5-5.8.

If you are still having PH issues using the above method, an alternative is to PH adjust the plain water to 5.5 BEFORE you add nutes.

Well, that's how I do it. Bring on any questions, happy to answer them for you.
Cheers and good growing to everyone

B

BillPlimpton

So whats the MOST productive, SINGLE tub that i can run? I want to go with a 30+ tub alone

HighBurn8

HighBurn8

A high yielding strain in a 20 gallon bucket filled with Coco, perlite & sunshine mix#4.

veg for 10 weeks, flower for 10 weeks

H8

G

gudkarma

bill you da man for staying with this thread.

though if it goes the dirt route my interest is gone.

i'd vote 27 gallon tuffbox from lowes.

gonna put that giant root ball at the curb for the trash guy?

while less than 30 gallons, @ $15, the tuffbox is a great container.

squarepusher

squarepusher

In another forum heath used 1 x 600W & managed to pull 46 oz dry (2.17 GPW)

Heres a sneak peek for those who havnt seen the system...

a fucking spaceship ready to take off.

But anyways, yeah for 1 plant, and 1 light, the best bet will to be to do a top down reflector lighting with scrog. Its the best distribution of light that I can think of with your constraints.

As for what type of system? If you can manage R/DWC successfully, that's great. If not, then some large coco or soil pots. Those are the only options except aero :) which probably will be overly complicated for this setup. The main thing is a good reflector, and nice screen/scrog for large canopy.

B

BillPlimpton

I hope you guys dont think im gunna BAIL????

This IS going down in a few weeks (2-3) ....I have a run of my 9pot RDWC that is on its final flush, as soon as theyre chopped......THEN ITS ON!

I like to re-structure every 2 years, redesign, rework etc...SO....keeps me busy

I currently grow in a space thats 12.5 x 10 and in a 6x5 space and have a mother/clone/seedling room of a 6bulb T5 mixed spectrum setup

HYDRO is what will be used for sure this run, maybe ill do a soil run next time, do a comparasin kinda

I dont have a reflector for any of my 1k lights, always have been vertical.

Also with the exception of being a professional like alot of you are, I do have skills and listen with the best of em, I dont rule anything out of this grow

Im an extremely handy guy and have ZERO limitations on design and setup, so lets keep this goin a lil bit longer if we can, you guys ALL have killer ideas.

B

BillPlimpton

bill you da man for staying with this thread.

though if it goes the dirt route my interest is gone.

i'd vote 27 gallon tuffbox from lowes.

gonna put that giant root ball at the curb for the trash guy?

while less than 30 gallons, @ $15, the tuffbox is a great container.

Nah, I live in the woods man! I burn EVERYTHING under the cover of darkness at 3am and with logs n plastic (sorry treehuggers) My closest neighbor is 400 yards away and Im on about 16 acres......cant wait for OUTDOOR too!!!!

Ive been lookin at them boxes, sounds decent and seems to be spot on

I DO have a line on a new water buffalo, 200gal, but I could cut it down to about 50 and make my own top, drill out a bucket as a netpot and DO WORK!

I dunno......this is gettin juicy now:rollj:

R

Reefer Franklin

Bill when you're targeting your PPM's do you subtract the hard water in the faucet ? I have well water that is 400 PPM. If I'm aiming for 1200 PPM shouldn't my meter read 1600: 1600 - 400 = 1200.

Tthanks for the info,

Tha Reef

B

BillPlimpton

Bill when you're targeting your PPM's do you subtract the hard water in the faucet ? I have well water that is 400 PPM. If I'm aiming for 1200 PPM shouldn't my meter read 1600: 1600 - 400 = 1200.

Tthanks for the info,

Tha Reef

In all honesty man.....I dont really keep up with my ppm too severely

I used too, but ive been in the same home for years and done the same thing for years, same nutes etc....

But your equation sounds correct

foaf

foaf

Ive been a multi pound tree grower for years. My largest tree was 4 lbs, pic of stump below, it was a 4 gallon hydroton top drip with tons of holes and netting in the bucket, and it sat in a 12 gallon RDWC bucket. I think that the tree got most all of its nutes from the DWC, once I picked it apart, the roots just kinda grew through the hydroton in cords. This grow I've filled a 12 gallon bucket up completely with hydroton, bottom drain, and Im doing RDWC in a bucket filled with hydroton, hoping to get the best of both worlds, second picture.
7787th040506b.jpg
bucketnew3.jpg
bucketnew11.jpg
earlyveg1.JPG

trees are fun, good luck.

B

BillPlimpton

Hey, what up man? I also been checkin out your grow of, I think, its the stump you showed.....good show for sure

What nutes did you run?

peace, Bill

G

gudkarma

i said it before, i love that bucket design.

i did copy & paste your nute schedule but that's WAY more aggressive than anything i do, bill ...still insteresting though.

bucket & drain dude ==> need to clean them cords off the floor... if the worst happens dont wanna say "i shudda".

much love though.

i really have given this some thought.

my dream would be two scrogs each done HP aero... ultimate efficient.

not sure if the price tag is worth it... right now.

i can see, for little buck but great bang, a low slung ebb & flow set up.

my fav 27 gallon tuff tote, hydroton, custom pvc drain, low slung table & rez.

scrog support structure & screen over the above... light on a mover over that.

?

simple, reliable, feasible. & large enough to get the job done.

thoughts?

B

BillPlimpton

Im thinking a hybrid of the two, one reason is just for personel comfort in growing, I dont wanna do any simple mistakes cuz of pure ignorance to my NEW style...but I get what your getting at. :)

I know what you mean by worst but "knock on wood" ive never really had any issues with my hydro grows except gnats and that was easily taken care of...with the schedule I run, Ive never tried any other way of growing than RDWC

But thats also not to say its not time to try and adapt new shit!

Also, like most of the LBer trees grown, this isnt only for the buddage.....its half to see if, I, can do this with my learned skills and given PILE of equipment ive acquired over the years....such as

1k switchable mag
1k switchable mag

600 lumatek digital
600 hydrofarm mag
600 hydro farm mag
600 hydrofarm mag

400 MH mag
400 HPS.....I also run and use a CMH that I flower with that does AMAZING shit, it only works in the HPS 400's

2bulb T5, mixed
4bulb T5 hydrofarm, mixed

3---6inch exhaust fans 745cfm
8inch exhaust 960cfm

8-12inch oscilatting 3speed fans

900gph pump
550gph pump

2--16 site commercial air pumps
4--4 site active aqua air pumps

2-8inch 2bulb OZoNE gens

3-can66 filters

and a bunch of other shit too.....

Im guna be building a few rooms besides this one

B

Bobby Smith

Lol, does it have to be a 1K or just somewhere in the neighborhood of 1K watts?

If you're up to doing something crazy, I've got an idea for you to try :)

1 600 in a reflector, directly above the tree (pretty standard).

1 600 in a reflector, HUNG VERTICALLY (i.e., perpendicular to the floor, aimed at the center of the tree).

Then get you one of these:

http://www.finehomedisplays.com/proddetail.asp?prod=125-17

The plant is constantly spinning, getting blasted from above and from the side (all sides, as it rotates pretty quickly).............you'd have to do a handwater hempy or coco with this setup (I've thought of how to automated the feedings, but that's a whole nother thread), but I think this system would yield out of this world.

Put a tomato cage on that bitch and watch the magic happen.

G

gudkarma

i love it. move plant & not light.

once i get enough head stash, i'm definitely down for this experiment.

i love to tackle designs with what i have in my garage & old gear.

re-purpose everything if possible.

obviously you have an idea, bill, so let's see what you come up with.

i'm all over automated hempy right now.

seems logical, affordable, & can be done with gear laying around.

B

boston

Lol, does it have to be a 1K or just somewhere in the neighborhood of 1K watts?

If you're up to doing something crazy, I've got an idea for you to try :)

1 600 in a reflector, directly above the tree (pretty standard).

1 600 in a reflector, HUNG VERTICALLY (i.e., perpendicular to the floor, aimed at the center of the tree).

Then get you one of these:

http://www.finehomedisplays.com/proddetail.asp?prod=125-17

The plant is constantly spinning, getting blasted from above and from the side (all sides, as it rotates pretty quickly).............you'd have to do a handwater hempy or coco with this setup (I've thought of how to automated the feedings, but that's a whole nother thread), but I think this system would yield out of this world.

Put a tomato cage on that bitch and watch the magic happen.

now this would be sweet

Top Bottom