1st Greenhouse Grow

• Thread starter SierraFarmer
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I would first perform a slurry test on the soil. This happened to me just this year due to using an acidic soil. I was able to bring them out of it, but not all are quite right again. If the soil pH is out of whack, I would re-pot or try feeding/watering with pH adjusted feed/water, adjusted so as to help counteract or counter-balance what's going on in the soil.

Slurry method is stupid simple. You take samples of soil, you want as many samples as possible and from as many depths as possible. Mix those up.
Now you need either distilled or very clean RO or RO/DI water, measure the parameters (EC and pH). Mix enough of the soil with the water to make a slurry. Let that set for 7-10mins, then retest. You should have a better idea of what's going on in the rhizosphere doing that. If you find it's acid (below 6.2 I would consider to be acidic) then treat accordingly.

Frostynugman

Frostynugman

Wow thanks for the advise @Frostynugman on the small boy filter. I have noticed a huge difference in a week especially on all my indoor plants. I have also changed how I am watering, now I will fill my res and add nutrients the night before. Then let it bubble all night and water the following morning. I am also only mixing what I need so I no longer have water just sitting for a few day. Must be a lot of chlorine in my tap water, my root systems in my indoor room are growing very rapidly. I am doing a controlled experiment inside, one side with regular tap and the other with the small boy water. I have already noticed a huge difference in root development and size of plants. Thank you again Frosty for the helpful advise. I have been growing indoors for 6 years and never thought to filter the tap water. Thank you so much
My Pleasure. Im glad It worked out Awesome for yah! Keep em rockin'

SierraFarmer

SierraFarmer

I would first perform a slurry test on the soil. This happened to me just this year due to using an acidic soil. I was able to bring them out of it, but not all are quite right again. If the soil pH is out of whack, I would re-pot or try feeding/watering with pH adjusted feed/water, adjusted so as to help counteract or counter-balance what's going on in the soil.

Slurry method is stupid simple. You take samples of soil, you want as many samples as possible and from as many depths as possible. Mix those up.
Now you need either distilled or very clean RO or RO/DI water, measure the parameters (EC and pH). Mix enough of the soil with the water to make a slurry. Let that set for 7-10mins, then retest. You should have a better idea of what's going on in the rhizosphere doing that. If you find it's acid (below 6.2 I would consider to be acidic) then treat accordingly.
Did this test and soil is at 6.8. EC meter is broken so I have no way to check it.

SierraFarmer

SierraFarmer

Did this test and soil is at 6.8. EC meter is broken so I have no way to check it.
I also am feeding the same as I do indoors. I feed with ph between 5.8-6.2 and with Sea Crop, CaliMagic, Silica Powder, Advanced Nutrients 3 part, and compost tea. Maybe the small boy filter might help as well. Is it possible for chlorine to stay in ur grow mediums and cause issues? Thanks again everyone for the help.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Not unless there's a *lot* of it, but then I've only dealt with chlorine as it affects fish, not as it affects plants. I think that AN is going to quickly become very expensive to use for an OD grow, too.

SierraFarmer

SierraFarmer

Not unless there's a *lot* of it, but then I've only dealt with chlorine as it affects fish, not as it affects plants. I think that AN is going to quickly become very expensive to use for an OD grow, too.
It is very expensive outdoors I have found. When every feeding takes 50 gallons those 5 gallon jugs of AN are going quickly. I ordered some powder stuff from kelp4less.com that a buddy recommended.

SierraFarmer

SierraFarmer

Ummmm. Yeah, using bottled nutes outdoors. . .not the most cost efficient way to grow a crop.

outwest
Ya I realize that any advise? I'm going to use the kelp4less stuff. But even that is spendy too.

SierraFarmer

SierraFarmer

Hey @caregiverken you seem to be really experienced outdoor growing. If you don't mind me asking what is the best way to feed outdoor crops? Thanks again everyone

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
Hey @caregiverken you seem to be really experienced outdoor growing. If you don't mind me asking what is the best way to feed outdoor crops? Thanks again everyone
"Seem to be" being the operative words...lol.:p
Im getting there I guess..Trial and error mostly
I have been growning Cannabis just a few years(going on 4, I think)
Just veggies for a couple years before that

The best way is "let the soil feed the plant".
That's also the simplest and probably the least expensive way.
So that works out well for me.

Make your own compost! and Compost teas!

Look up Sub cools super soil recipes and Use Caps Biowar
or you can just buy some good potting soil like Black Gold or Roots 707
Those will feed the plant for a month or two easy. (add bio war)

I have been using and reusing cheap organic Potting soil from lowes and its works good for me. I let the last crops roots compost right in the box while the next crop grows ;)

If a plant looks like its not as green as it should be, I pee in it's soil for a couple days. Lots of coffee..and lots of pee :)
If that doesnt work. I use Alaskin fist fert. cause its cheap N (5-1-1)
and its says it wont burn(never has)

Keep it simple...Outdoor weed grows it's self. its a weed

When they start to flower, I start giving them Liquid bone meal and kelp,
Seagreen and Molasses and more Aerated Compost teas :)

Best of luck with your grow!

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
let me show you what can be done with NO FOOD.
I put this (never been fed)seedling in this Bed of Used soil(4 years old)(1 foot deep)
I made ACT twice in the 5 weeks its been in there

dago-3inbed428-jpg.400761

5 weeks later, still no food
Dago2on63

Last edited:
SierraFarmer

SierraFarmer

let me show you what can be done with NO FOOD.
I put this (never been fed)seedling in this Bed of Used soil(4 years old)(1 foot deep)
I made ACT twice in the 5 weeks its been in there

dago-3inbed428-jpg.400761

5 weeks later no food
View attachment 411214
Well that seems to be my problem. Next year I'll know lol. Thank you very much for all the info. I'm using caps biowar tea with All the nutrients I listed above. Next year I will keep it simple and just use composted soils. I'm using cutting edge nutrients and not advanced nutrients. My bad forgot what I'm using these days.

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
Well that seems to be my problem. Next year I'll know lol. Thank you very much for all the info. I'm using caps biowar tea with All the nutrients I listed above. Next year I will keep it simple and just use composted soils. I'm using cutting edge nutrients and not advanced nutrients. My bad forgot what I'm using these days.
Im Glad to Help :) Kinda paying it forward..from all the help i found here a few years ago :)
Yeah Man..Save all that soil..maybe throw some worms in there..it will be even better next year!
Cannabis improves the soil!

SierraFarmer

SierraFarmer

Im Glad to Help :) Kinda paying it forward..from all the help i found here a few years ago :)
Yeah Man..Save all that soil..maybe throw some worms in there..it will be even better next year!
Cannabis improves the soil!
So is Pro-Mix HP actually a soil or is it just a medium? Heard from some ppl it actually has nutrients and others say no. I'm going to have to look it up. Even if it has no nutrient value can I still make a compost with it? Thanks again @caregiverken always appreciated.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Pro-Mix HP is a soilless media comprised of coir, peat and a bit of lime IIRC. There may be other amendments, but nothing that brings it to the level of 'soil.' Soil is more than just organic matter, good quality soil is also well mineralized.
Ya I realize that any advise? I'm going to use the kelp4less stuff. But even that is spendy too.
If you're in soil, then follow the paradigm to feed the soil. Think: ag. If you want to use solubles, go ahead, but use that which is made to be used by folks who are mixing up tens and dozens of gallons at a time. IIRC, the Jack's is actually pretty well priced. Otherwise, Growmore, if I'm recollecting that one correctly, is another one folks have used to good result.

However, KNOW that the blue stuff is killing all those bennies you're culturing. And the more you use, the worse it gets for them, so always go as lightly as you can.
CE is still far too expensive, especially for use outside, IMO.

I am probably one of the cheapest bitches you'll ever meet. But that leads to an excellent FICO score and little debt, so... ;) Plus, I am really good at finding tax shelters now. Now that the kids are grown up and moved out! LMFAO!

SierraFarmer

SierraFarmer

Thank you very much @Seamaiden. The blue stuff that kills the bennies, what are you talking about? Are you talking about the grow pack from kelp4less, the 20-20-20 and 30-10-10 mixtures.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Yes, those high NPK mixes are too much for many/most beneficial soil microbes, and can and will build up in the soil. They are part and parcel of soil degradation along with practices like tilling. You can use them at very, very low levels for a while and not kill them off completely, but you'll have to continually re-inoculate at higher levels.

I don't know what the grow pack from kelp4less is, I'm talking about anything highly soluble, chemical salt-based, with NPK numbers typically higher than 10.

SierraFarmer

SierraFarmer

Yes, those high NPK mixes are too much for many/most beneficial soil microbes, and can and will build up in the soil. They are part and parcel of soil degradation along with practices like tilling. You can use them at very, very low levels for a while and not kill them off completely, but you'll have to continually re-inoculate at higher levels.

I don't know what the grow pack from kelp4less is, I'm talking about anything highly soluble, chemical salt-based, with NPK numbers typically higher than 10.
Thank you very much. I would have killed all those bennies and never known. The kelp4less stuff is very concentrated and I already got it. Probably just going to use it in my hydro setup inside and keep it simple in my greenhouse. I am planning on amending the Pro-Mix with some compost I have for my vegetable garden. So another transplanting session is in my future for tomorrow. I wish I would have asked more questions at the beginning of this journey. Would have done things way different lol. Live and learn. Thank you again.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Then just use it at very low rates, and be sure to use sufficient waterings in between to prevent it building up in the soil.

And I'm a jump in and do it kinda gal myself. I mean, depending on what it is, of course. But if you don't just grab your britches and jump in and do it, you may find yourself frozen in place and never moving forward. Even if it's a complete failure, you've learned something, right? And it's rarely ever a complete failure.

Latest posts

Top Bottom