1st time grower, seed problems?

• Thread starter Budw3is3r
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Thanks @Aqua Man , is there a sign you look for?

Bud
If you look at the plants and double the width and height and it would fill the space it's time to flip. A little before is also ok because some strains will more than double. I'm just going off my experience on growth rates in hydro comparing to yours and making a guess.

Last edited:
Budw3is3r

Budw3is3r

If you look at the plants and double the width and height and it would fill the space it's time to flip. A little before is also ok because some strains will more than double. I'm just going off my experience on growth rates in hydro comparing to yours and making a guess.
This is solid advice, thanks

Budw3is3r

Budw3is3r

Hello, I'm currently researching clones, does anybody have any forum links or videos to clone methods that are tried and tested?

With 101 ways available to pop seeds Im guessing cloning will have various ways too.

Thanks

Bud

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Hello, I'm currently researching clones, does anybody have any forum links or videos to clone methods that are tried and tested?

With 101 ways available to pop seeds Im guessing cloning will have various ways too.

Thanks

Bud
Yup many ways.

How I do it.

Razor blade sterilized

Glass of tap water

Promix rooting powder

Presoaked jiffy pellets (will be changing to rapid rooter next time as they are presoaked with rooting hormone)

I take my cuttings from the bottom of the plant making sure they are healthy. I cut on a 45 angle and dip immediately into the glass of water to prevent the cutting from getting air bubbles into the stem.

Then scrape the outer skin of with the razor blade from the bottom inch. I remove all but 2 fan leaves and the growing tip.

My cones are small... Tiny Infact.

Then dip in rooting powder and into the jiffy pellet.

ABSOLUTELY KEY is to make sure the soil is tight to the stem. The clone will not develop roots if it's not moist around the stem.

Place in a humidity dome with 80-100% humidity and about 80f under very low light. Once you see roots transplant immediately.

If the pellets start to dry use a spray bottle to mist them back to moist. I don't mist the leaves just the dome and pellets if needed.

Attached pics to show how small and mount of leaves I keep. This clone was 7 days showing a tiny root piping out. Usually root in about 7 days and up to 10 days for me in those conditions.

IMG 20200614 204705
IMG 20200622 113631
Rooke

Rooke

Yup many ways.

How I do it.

Razor blade sterilized

Glass of tap water

Promix rooting powder

Presoaked jiffy pellets (will be changing to rapid rooter next time as they are presoaked with rooting hormone)

I take my cuttings from the bottom of the plant making sure they are healthy. I cut on a 45 angle and dip immediately into the glass of water to prevent the cutting from getting air bubbles into the stem.

Then scrape the outer skin of with the razor blade from the bottom inch. I remove all but 2 fan leaves and the growing tip.

My cones are small... Tiny Infact.

Then dip in rooting powder and into the jiffy pellet.

ABSOLUTELY KEY is to make sure the soil is tight to the stem. The clone will not develop roots if it's not moist around the stem.

Place in a humidity dome with 80-100% humidity and about 80f under very low light. Once you see roots transplant immediately.

If the pellets start to dry use a spray bottle to mist them back to moist. I don't mist the leaves just the dome and pellets if needed.

Attached pics to show how small and mount of leaves I keep. This clone was 7 days showing a tiny root piping out. Usually root in about 7 days and up to 10 days for me in those conditions.
Heya buddy I have a few ?’s for you and fellow farmers to chime in please! Is there a preferred time of day to cut clones off of my outdoor gals they are 10 weeks old. I also have had a few bottom branches go limp on me and eventually die. I up potted into my largest pots about 10 days ago from 23 litre pots to 35 and 40 gallon and used microhizae pure powder on the root ball. My pots were kinda on the dryer side when I did that on purpose because they are heavy to deal with and like you my back is pooched. Being they were dry I watered them in quite well especially around the main stem and the outside of the pots. About 5 days later is when I had the Lower side branches die off. I also have bamboo stakes directly into the pots to help support them they are small diameter ones and they’ve been supporting them for about 5 weeks ish I pulled dirt away for the main stem to look at the top roots and they look fine and when I transplanted them they were very healthy looking but a bit on the root bound side. Any ideas on how to keep this from reoccurring? I built a burm of dirt about 4 to 5 inches around the main to help keep water from getting close to the main and crunched up egg shells around it to hopefully keep caterpillars from getting at them as well. So I’m wondering if the bamboo stakes may be rotting and causing some of the issue I pulled a couple of them up and did see a bit of discolouration on a few spots. I’m going to tie them down and cage them soon and I’ll remove the stakes then. Here’s some pics of the plants that have been affected. Thanks for your help bud!!

95F3A7D2 4BFB 4A1F 9407 E087D7661165
023CF27B AB44 4204 A32D 835887485BBC
500E2F23 4B78 4ADF B5DE 62F41534FEC6
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Heya buddy I have a few ?’s for you and fellow farmers to chime in please! Is there a preferred time of day to cut clones off of my outdoor gals they are 10 weeks old. I also have had a few bottom branches go limp on me and eventually die. I up potted into my largest pots about 10 days ago from 23 litre pots to 35 and 40 gallon and used microhizae pure powder on the root ball. My pots were kinda on the dryer side when I did that on purpose because they are heavy to deal with and like you my back is pooched. Being they were dry I watered them in quite well especially around the main stem and the outside of the pots. About 5 days later is when I had the Lower side branches die off. I also have bamboo stakes directly into the pots to help support them they are small diameter ones and they’ve been supporting them for about 5 weeks ish I pulled dirt away for the main stem to look at the top roots and they look fine and when I transplanted them they were very healthy looking but a bit on the root bound side. Any ideas on how to keep this from reoccurring? I built a burm of dirt about 4 to 5 inches around the main to help keep water from getting close to the main and crunched up egg shells around it to hopefully keep caterpillars from getting at them as well. So I’m wondering if the bamboo stakes may be rotting and causing some of the issue I pulled a couple of them up and did see a bit of discolouration on a few spots. I’m going to tie them down and cage them soon and I’ll remove the stakes then. Here’s some pics of the plants that have been affected. Thanks for your help bud!!
I never really though about preferred time but now that you bring it up I would think near the end of the day after the plants have been photosynthesizing.

They should go into very low light. The more light the more your trying to drive growth from a plant with no roots and highly stressed.

80-100% humidity and very low light are keys. Making sure the soil is wet enough is also important if it dries out they will not make it. The high moisture is what makes the plants start to grow roots. It's not like seeds or plants. It needs to stay wet until the root nubs form. Then should be kept moist. If I had to guess about 2days wet then moist. If you soak the peat pellets wet I find they dry out just about right as needed. Always take healthy cuttings thats very important.

Same for transplant. Bump humidity up 70-75% if ya can and lower light intensity for 24-48 hrs. If outside plop en in the shade take the root stress off by doing this.

Budw3is3r

Budw3is3r

UPDATE - into week 3 Veg

End of week 2 veg and I'm starting to see the other plants catch up on growth. I'm noticing the smell alot more, beautiful.

I have used RO water from the start and to be honest I'm glad because I havent had to worry about nutrient lock-out with Ph adjustments etc.

550'ish ppm

Bud

20200707 171753
20200707 173506
20200707 173725
20200707 173836
20200707 173933
20200707 173939
20200707 173945
20200707 173948
20200707 173949
20200707 173955
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

UPDATE - into week 3 Veg

End of week 2 veg and I'm starting to see the other plants catch up on growth. I'm noticing the smell alot more, beautiful.

I have used RO water from the start and to be honest I'm glad because I havent had to worry about nutrient lock-out with Ph adjustments etc.

550'ish ppm

Bud
This is about where they explode bro 👍

Noobmaster69

Noobmaster69

Once my seedlings has sprouted I remove it from the nursery, it needs different care and since the others didn't sprout this is your best chance for a great product.
From the start I don't think you gave them enough oxygen using the dome is okay provided you leave slots open if there's no slots and the humidity reaches over 70% germination rates really slow.
Good luck on the next ones 🤙

Tornadohunting420

Tornadohunting420

Hello, this is my first grow and post.

I purchased 10 Blue Gelato seeds from Barney's Farm.

I have set them in rockwool starter plugs (which had been soaked for 24hrs in RO water). Placed in a dome with a heat mat from Amazon set at a temp of 25ºC which can go up and down by 5ºC which isn't ideal but kept between 21ºC - 32ºC.

As at today, I'm into the 6th day. On the 3rd day the big fella arrived but nothing since (I do think another is starting to punch through, please see picture).

The light is LED and has been on 24/7, today I lowered the light and turned the brightness up to try and help the lanky seed out. Both lights are on because otherwise they won't work individually.

I haven't let the plugs go dry (just using RO water with no nutrients, the humidity has remained high and water using a syringe little and often to keep moist but not soaking wet.

Any advice would be great.

Thanks

Bud
Darkness will help the seeds pop get on a 18-6 schedule some will pop in the dark period or when the light comes back on n for seedlings it's better to use weaker lighting like t5 bulbs or cfls.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Once my seedlings has sprouted I remove it from the nursery, it needs different care and since the others didn't sprout this is your best chance for a great product.
From the start I don't think you gave them enough oxygen using the dome is okay provided you leave slots open if there's no slots and the humidity reaches over 70% germination rates really slow.
Good luck on the next ones 🤙
Seeds don't really need domes... Clones do imo.

Darkness will help the seeds pop get on a 18-6 schedule some will pop in the dark period or when the light comes back on n for seedlings it's better to use weaker lighting like t5 bulbs or cfls.
It's ok to have them under 24 he light. It's dark in the media and once they break the surface light is beneficial.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Researching on cloning, when is the best time to take clones?

Thanks

Bud
I try to take mine near the end of the day after they have lots of stored sugar from photosynthesis. Then they go into the dark period. So they get no light trying to drive growth for a little. All fueled up and a break from work allows them to focus on root growth not photosynthesis. Should be kept under very low light after I keep mine at the same 18/6 light cycle. Idk how much difference it makes but I think it's good practice and have always done so and have near 100% success rates.

Budw3is3r

Budw3is3r

I try to take mine near the end of the day after they have lots of stored sugar from photosynthesis. Then they go into the dark period. So they get no light trying to drive growth for a little. All fueled up and a break from work allows them to focus on root growth not photosynthesis. Should be kept under very low light after I keep mine at the same 18/6 light cycle. Idk how much difference it makes but I think it's good practice and have always done so and have near 100% success rates.
Thanks @Aqua Man would you take the cuttings during the first few weeks during the flowering stage?

Bud

Budw3is3r

Budw3is3r

Main lining process - 1st attempt

So, after watching videos etc I put on the kid gloves and gave it a go.

If anybody has any ideas as to what they do with leaves etc please share.

The first plant I tied, the others I'm going to leave for a day before I tie just to play it safe.

I done this just before they went into darkness and sprayed the leaves with RO water. Give them time to recover.

Bud

20200710 104716
20200710 103205
20200710 103452
20200710 102853
20200710 102701
20200710 102652
20200710 102645
20200710 102625
20200710 102608
20200710 100606
20200710 100704